Lt. Commander
# 31
12-20-2011, 10:48 AM
I find the idea of people or Podcasts getting free items a total ***** slap.

How dare they give free ships to people when everyone with a sub has paid for the development and implementation of it.

Yeah its all good when EVERYONE has the CHANCE factor but when you start giving stuff for free just because someone does a podcast then its stupid.

Give them a free T-shirt or mug or something but INGAME items should not be handed out, specially when they are as rare as the bug ship.
People have sunk $100's or 100's into getting one and got nothing!

Im still personally waiting for 8 1st place items for Klingon scout force and was told in my ticket that i wouldnt get anything......

Cryptic it looks to me that you love doing nothing but ****ing on your community!
Personally i think you need to eat some of your yellow snow and treat everyone equal.

If anyone wants a BUG ship please make your way to Cryptics offices and lick their bum.
Looks like the only way to get one without emptying your wallet.
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philoso_Raptor
And thats certainly your right to do so. However if you do you should either keep it between you and them or accept that your other customers wont like seeing obvious favoritism. Just because you can do something doesnt always mean its a good idea.
True enough.
Hence why I'd probably stipulate that my actions not be publicized for PR reasons.

So once again that makes this issue more one of PR failure than anything else.
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-20-2011, 12:03 PM
I'm a little surprised to find so much unhappiness in this thread.

Cryptic has long had a policy of providing free stuff to the press. We've given away hundreds of Lifetime accounts, countless free Cryptic Points, characters pre-leveled to max level, and just about every kind of gear or ship imaginable. Why do we do this? For the same reason that other game studios do. First, it gives the press a chance to experience the game, potentially even end game, with a lower time investment on their part. Second, it does indeed raise goodwill with the press.

I'm not sure why the practice of gifting to the press suddenly warrants a flame attack on Cryptic such as this thread. Perhaps this is one of the first times that a press member bragged about a gift in a way that you've learned about it, but this kind of gifting is pretty normal. Cryptic values its relationship with the press.

I'm sorry if some of you feel offended by the practice, but this is not something special or unusual.

Happy holidays everyone! Be sure to check out Q's Winter Wonderland today to find a nice gift for our loyal players.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Quote:
I'm a little surprised to find so much unhappiness in this thread.

Cryptic has long had a policy of providing free stuff to the press. We've given away hundreds of Lifetime accounts, countless free Cryptic Points, characters pre-leveled to max level, and just about every kind of gear or ship imaginable. Why do we do this? For the same reason that other game studios do. First, it gives the press a chance to experience the game, potentially even end game, with a lower time investment on their part. Second, it does indeed raise goodwill with the press.

I'm not sure why the practice of gifting to the press suddenly warrants a flame attack on Cryptic such as this thread. Perhaps this is one of the first times that a press member bragged about a gift in a way that you've learned about it, but this kind of gifting is pretty normal. Cryptic values its relationship with the press.

I'm sorry if some of you feel offended by the practice, but this is not something special or unusual.

Happy holidays everyone! Be sure to check out Q's Winter Wonderland today to find a nice gift for our loyal players.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
i understand the need, and i don't mind. in fact, i think it's a great idea

but... i know others will not take that... easily
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
I agree with you on this particular thing, but I have to warn you to expect all Gre'Thor to come down on your head for the other 'revelations' in your post.
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-20-2011, 12:14 PM
It deserves abit of a flame!

If your saying these things are handed out so as they can be reported on don't you think it was silly to do it with the bug.

This isn't an item that everyone can get just by playing the game is it!
Its not something i really want to read about unless i can actually obtain the damn thing or have any kind of chance of using it. so any podcast on it is pretty mute.

Its an item that everyone is trying to get, some people sinking lots of money into it.
Its only obtainable by CHANCE which is very very slim.

So what have we learned...... Cryptic wants the podcasters to promote something that is only obtainable by chance and requires lots of 's or $'s even though they know this whole thing has already caused alot of frustration in the community.

Merry Christmas......

P.S why does the stuff in the blue packages totally suck EVERYTIME
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
I agree with you on this particular thing, but I have to warn you to expect all Gre'Thor to come down on your head for the other 'revelations' in your post.
Nothing he said is a "revelation". He is absolutely correct that companies do these kind of things all the time. Is it right to do so? That is a subject of debate. This doesn't ruffle my feathers any because It happens. It is called marketing and PR strategy.
Lt. Commander
# 38
12-20-2011, 12:15 PM
Giving freebies to the press is fine, if you'd given him an early Odessey no one would have batted an eyelid. However giving him/them one of the most controversial items in the game, that people have spent a small fortune trying to acquire via the grab bag, is going to cause some hard feelings.

Still love you and ya team though
Lt. Commander
# 39
12-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
Its not so much that you gave an item to someone that is annoying people, its that you gave an item to someone that has no reliable method for anyone else to get.

If this had been a standard C-Store item I don't think anyone would care, but the method of acquisition is already distasteful enough. To learn that people were just handed the same item on a silver platter is a bit... off putting. Especially given how much money some people have pumped into trying to get it, but still have nothing to show for it.
Lt. Commander
# 40
12-20-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't understand why some people just can't be happy for another person. Especially in this instance where the guy in question has done so much for promoting this game.