Lt. Commander
# 41
12-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Wow people really whine and cry about the littlest things. I have some more "colorful" remarks from my Army days, but only a very few of the words would pass the profanity filter. Man up guys, and quit yer whining!
Lt. Commander
# 42
12-20-2011, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdangelo View Post
I'm a little surprised to find so much unhappiness in this thread.

Cryptic has long had a policy of providing free stuff to the press. We've given away hundreds of Lifetime accounts, countless free Cryptic Points, characters pre-leveled to max level, and just about every kind of gear or ship imaginable. Why do we do this? For the same reason that other game studios do. First, it gives the press a chance to experience the game, potentially even end game, with a lower time investment on their part. Second, it does indeed raise goodwill with the press.

I'm not sure why the practice of gifting to the press suddenly warrants a flame attack on Cryptic such as this thread. Perhaps this is one of the first times that a press member bragged about a gift in a way that you've learned about it, but this kind of gifting is pretty normal. Cryptic values its relationship with the press.

I'm sorry if some of you feel offended by the practice, but this is not something special or unusual.

Happy holidays everyone! Be sure to check out Q's Winter Wonderland today to find a nice gift for our loyal players.

Stephen D'Angelo
Executive Producer
Star Trek Online
Stephen,

I think it's partly because of the radical design departure that the bug ship represents but also because of the question over what constitutes "press" for your purposes. The obvious answer (and the one that fits here) is any entity which draws awareness to your game and increases the chances of people playing it.

I get it. I think the outlets that have chosen to use their freebies as promotional giveaways for their audience are doing it better, perhaps, than Chris did... But I'll concede that he has a visual podcast where showing off the ship also makes sense.

So as for me, I wish I had one. I wish I could flat out buy the ship. I LIKE the outlets that chose to use their ship as contest prizes more because after spending probably close to $100 trying to get this ship, I'd like a reliable way to get it. So for me, the use of the ships as giveaways is win-win-win whereas Chris' use was just win-win... But that's a minor quibble. (I'd actually support you guys tossing him another one if he promised to do a giveaway.)

Minor quibbles on my part.

I'll be away for a few days so happy holidays to you guys.
Lt. Commander
# 43
Quote:
Happy holidays everyone! Be sure to check out Q's Winter Wonderland today to find a nice gift for our loyal players.
Bwahaha, thanks, i already got 54 green Boxes, some are still unopened.
(Oh, and 8 blue and *drum roll* ONE red [yes, without the bugship])
Lt. Commander
# 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt_LSF
Wow people really whine and cry about the littlest things. I have some more "colorful" remarks from my Army days, but only a very few of the words would pass the profanity filter. Man up guys, and quit yer whining!
Irony is funny
Lt. Commander
# 45
12-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt_LSF
that's the problem... most people nowadays don't really 'have' a side to man up... and they want things now now now, and perfect too

it's embarrassing i'm only 19, and i'm not anything like some of these people...
Lt. Commander
# 46
12-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1
I don't understand why some people just can't be happy for another person. Especially in this instance where the guy in question has done so much for promoting this game.
Well, yeah. Chris has spent considerably more than $175 promoting this game. In that sense, he's earned it. I still think the smart move there would be to toss him a spare bug to give away as it would seem a bit less like, "Ha ha, I've got mine" and a bit more like, "Check out this cool ship they gave me. Pay attention because we're giving one away."
Lt. Commander
# 47
12-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfish1
I don't understand why some people just can't be happy for another person. Especially in this instance where the guy in question has done so much for promoting this game.
I'm happy for him. Considering for a long time he was doing the podcast as a side project on top of his normal job before he went full time with his shows.
Lt. Commander
# 48
12-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Cryptic has long had a policy of providing free stuff to the press.
So thats why you guys didnt give one to RedShirt Army?
Lt. Commander
# 49
12-20-2011, 11:26 AM
I also have to say that while the whole process may not be the fairest, no one forced anybody to drop lots of money on trying to get the bug ship. After I spent twelve bucks and came up empty that was it for me.
Lt. Commander
# 50
12-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Irony is funny
I see what you tried to do there! Happy HoliQwanHannuChristmas T.N.G.!