Lt. Commander
# 1 Playable Borg Faction idea
12-20-2011, 12:46 PM
I'm merely curious to see what people would think about such an idea, so please keep this civil, as it's just me throwing some ideas together which maybe if people like it enough the devs might add into the game who knows, as stranger things have happened,

So, the idea kinda came to mind ever since it was said that originally it was thought that the Klingons were to be a PvP faction from the outset, and obviously that kinda went a bit sideways (but that's a different argument entirely). My thoughts are simple, as there is no point doing PvE missions as such as playing the Borg, these could really be the perfect candidate for a proper PvP faction.

In essence you could start off as a bog standard "drone" in a "probe", and obviously as you rank up lvl wise you could eventially reach an "Elite Tactical Drone" in a Tac Cube. With the recent gfx pass the art assets should be ok?

But what would the Borg actually do? what about actually being the enemy contacts in certain sectors, so actually roaming around trying to pull people on their missions and actually cause an "Oh my....." moment

Or would this cause a problem for what plans are in store ?

*If anything like this has been posted previously, apologies in advance*

thanks
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-20-2011, 12:48 PM
Somebody will undoutably argue canon, but my response to that is this:

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=245485
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Romulan faction is going to be next.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
I would like to play as a borg, maybe federation could mess up with colective. Let's say section 31 was doing some "secret research" with a hive, using nanoprobes and made part of it be destroyed. It loses contact with main Queen, so a new Queen comes up, but these new drones are partial individuals (result of section operation) with rage against federation for those who died, most of them were relatives to those drones.
This hive is seen as a threat to the original colective, as an imperfection to borg collective, they declaring war on it. We could have even Romulan making an alliance with this new collective faction (then we could play as Romulans), Klingons and Federation running in this new crossfire fighting both sides. True Way could cooperate with regular Borgs in order to have vengence to Federation and Klingon for the destruction of Cardasia during dominion war.

Yep, thats my definition of COOL
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-20-2011, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
Romulan faction is going to be next.
OP didnt say anything about when this hypothetical Borg faction would be added.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-20-2011, 01:46 PM
I think it would be fun in say Gamma O. that you get a percent chance to "Get assimilated" and you get to control a tactical cube till you blow up and kill off Klinks and Feds
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-20-2011, 01:48 PM
Good idea but....i dont think it could be "THE BORG" as playable but a freed set of drones that could be there own faction, Unimatrix zero from Star trek Voyager , this way more room to play real pve missions, there own store line and all, There ships could be partially assimulated ships from olther factions, Instead of going to a vender for your ship you could do mission to take one over
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-20-2011, 01:55 PM
now that is something I had not considered, some interesting ideas there for sure
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-20-2011, 02:04 PM
As cool as it might be to be able to play as the Borg, it's just not realistic. The only two Borg to have any sentience are Locutus and the Queen. And since the Queen commands the entire Collective, I can't see anyway to make it feasible.

As for the Romulans, I am eagerly awaiting that. The Romulans are my favorite faction (Outside of the Borg).
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Given the nature of the Borg, perhaps this would be a good way to implement an all new outlet for PVP. Somewhat like Monster Play in LOTRO. Rather than making the Borg a faction with a story line, which would be assimilate everything basically, you could create character based of an assimilated copy of one of your playable characters and duke it out against Federation and Klingon players at special battlefields. "Winning" for the day on Federation and Klingon players would enable certain passive bonuses for their faction(s). As an incentive to play Borg, you would win special Borg loot for one of your main characters for participating and winning.