Lt. Commander
# 21
12-21-2011, 04:17 PM
You should stop dreaming and put your creative thinking into whatever it is you do in real life that is my recommendation for your future success rather than wasting your time covering either old ground or just stuff that anyone with half a brain could think up if it was worth doing.

I mean there is big team working and promoting STO plus there are developers like myself who play it in their spare time. There might be a chance a good few ideas have been considered by now.

Don't you think after 2 years everything is pretty much covered or would that be bursting your bubble?!
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-21-2011, 04:30 PM
Honestly? It's a gimmick that'll entertain for awhile, but get real dull real quick.

Besides, considering the extremely individualistic nature of players, why would they want to play a faction that wants to quash that individuality? It doesn't make sense to me. I don't want to play a drone among millions of drones. I want to be a space hero. Can't be that with the Borg.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodimus_
Good idea but....i dont think it could be "THE BORG" as playable but a freed set of drones that could be there own faction, Unimatrix zero from Star trek Voyager , this way more room to play real pve missions, there own store line and all, There ships could be partially assimulated ships from olther factions, Instead of going to a vender for your ship you could do mission to take one over
I've been thinking about this too. What's left of Unimatrix zero would be a perfect faction, maybe even linking up, or merging with Hugh's old faction. Neither group has been seen since the end of the 24th century, a resurgence would give the collective a run for it's perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyce9984 View Post
One thing I would deffo like, would be to constantly hear (not loudly) a constant stream of Borg voices to show that you are in the collective, so if for some reason you didn't hear it you might be being separated?

And peeps be honest, if you think it's a rubbish idea, I'll leave it at that, I just love the Borg :-)
That would be SO COOL

I do think no one really wants to play an automaton. So, a group of freed Borg, like the ones that used to be Unimatrix Zero, or Hugh's merry band, or a combo of both, would be ideal. Would still be the Borg, still have all the coolness of Borg, without the Queen and the Collective breathing down our necks
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-21-2011, 05:58 PM
Playable borg faction would be like watching someone else play in third person...

I've said it once, and I'll say it again; Lets concentrate on finishing the two factions we have, before worrying about another...
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonSatyr42
I've been thinking about this too. What's left of Unimatrix zero would be a perfect faction, maybe even linking up, or merging with Hugh's old faction. Neither group has been seen since the end of the 24th century, a resurgence would give the collective a run for it's perfection

That would be SO COOL

I do think no one really wants to play an automaton. So, a group of freed Borg, like the ones that used to be Unimatrix Zero, or Hugh's merry band, or a combo of both, would be ideal. Would still be the Borg, still have all the coolness of Borg, without the Queen and the Collective breathing down our necks
Instead of being promoted you earn upgrades? Honestly I just want to play borg. I don't care if they're renegade borg or collective borg. There is a third option, though... "killer bees". A 'new' borg hybrid. I don't know if anyone read First Contact or not, but it goes into some detail about how a person's consciousness is still alive, raging, inside the trapped mind of the drone. I think it would be interesting to explore the inner workings of that, as in how a 'new collective' wins over the conscious mind by allowing some of the individual, some of the distinctiveness, to persist. This new, more dangerous borg, would never be able to be freed from the collective. Like a fanatic cultist they would fight until the end, even long after the collective had been severed.

This splinter group is formed by a new queen (again allowing us to explore the inner workings of the borg) in order to further gain perfection. The new queen (we've seen individuality in the queen in ST: First Contact) allows for some individuality. This is what will finally overcome the human race, she ponders. The distinctiveness of the Human species is what helped create this new borg hive. The strive for individuality is too great for humanity as a whole to ever become fully assimilated, so they adapted. Now this new borg hive is creative as well as adaptive. Fanatical cultists fused together in mind and body. And their newfound perfection demands that the other hives be wiped out, as well, for the good of the collective. They are obsolete. They must be exterminated.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Borg race would be cool. Your BOffs could be additions to your matrix. You are One of Seven, your 'first officer' is Two of Seven, and so on.

Edit:
Borg DOff assignment...
Assimilate Federation Starship. Very Rare.
Critical Success offers newly assimilated DOff or BOff. 25% chance of being each of the founding races (as in 25% chance of human, 25% chance of Vulcan, etc).
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-22-2011, 10:05 AM
I dont think it would work with regular Borgs, it should be some kind of ex-borgs, so klingons and federation would continue being atacked by regular borgs.
These ex-borgs could be a result of klingon/federation unclassified actions, so they would be enemy of both, due to their actions and regular borgs would see them like an imperfection to the collective and a threat to it. Of course these ex-borgs would be individuals, at least partial otherwise you wouldnt be able to play with them
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-22-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Bailey
It would be funny as an event. Like a big game of tag. One person starts off as a borg and then when someone is touched or boarded they become assimilated and then it is the last Captain standing.
Playable borg faction is probably unlikely. If anything, something similar to this idea would be as close as we could ever get.

Though it would be cool to have an event with a massive borg invasion, dozens of players in the same instance fighting higher level borg, with the random possibility of having your ship assimilated.

Once assimilated, you would still retain control of your ship. You'd temporarily have a completely new set of powers and abilities and your ship could only attack fed/klingon ships until you were destroyed, at which point you'd revert back to normal.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-22-2011, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feklars_Hammer
Instead of being promoted you earn upgrades? Honestly I just want to play borg. I don't care if they're renegade borg or collective borg. There is a third option, though... "killer bees". A 'new' borg hybrid. I don't know if anyone read First Contact or not, but it goes into some detail about how a person's consciousness is still alive, raging, inside the trapped mind of the drone. I think it would be interesting to explore the inner workings of that, as in how a 'new collective' wins over the conscious mind by allowing some of the individual, some of the distinctiveness, to persist. This new, more dangerous borg, would never be able to be freed from the collective. Like a fanatic cultist they would fight until the end, even long after the collective had been severed.

This splinter group is formed by a new queen (again allowing us to explore the inner workings of the borg) in order to further gain perfection. The new queen (we've seen individuality in the queen in ST: First Contact) allows for some individuality. This is what will finally overcome the human race, she ponders. The distinctiveness of the Human species is what helped create this new borg hive. The strive for individuality is too great for humanity as a whole to ever become fully assimilated, so they adapted. Now this new borg hive is creative as well as adaptive. Fanatical cultists fused together in mind and body. And their newfound perfection demands that the other hives be wiped out, as well, for the good of the collective. They are obsolete. They must be exterminated.
I do like that idea as well
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-22-2011, 03:27 PM
My main character is a Liberated Borg with her own collective of 3 and a few others on the way with liberated borg duty officers. However, the only way a playable Borg faction would be present is some faction that escaped from the collective and formed their own collective that is not as restricting to individual freedoms. Although people could RP that their borg captain only pretended to escape from the collective. After all, not all liberated borg are liberated.

The only way I see a Borg faction is to have a Bioshock style game where your character suddenly becomes free, but the collective doesn't realize it. Therefore, you can continue being a drone, work to destroy the collective, or work to become the Queen and control the future of the Borg as a force of good or evil in the universe.