Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
You guys paying these overpriced subscription fees are true dee da dees...it says right under it that you're paying for the life of the game...so whenever they decide they are no longer raking in subscription fees BAM end of game, thanks for the 300 dollars...could be in a month, could be in a year, but definetly will be within 5...so 300 for 5 years of this game is WAY overpriced...these prices need to drop before I sign up for anything other then 1 month to check out new updates to the game every year. In no way will i ever pay that much for a game that could be cancelled in a year....then what 300 usd for a year of a game...you guys are nuts, pure greed. For you guys feeding the monster saying, "yay i just paid for my lifetime membership". Cant wait to see your posts in 2 years when they cancel development and run off with your cash! )
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-20-2011, 10:08 AM
Let's see $300 once versus $15 per month means that the game only needs to last 20 months for the lifetime sub to be worth it. 20 months is significantly less than 5 years and is in fact less than two years. So even if someone purchased their lifetime sub today and the game shuts down in two years they would still have saved money versus a monthly sub.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-20-2011, 10:16 AM
let me be clear, paying ANY of these overpriced subscription fees are repetitive as the game itself...like i said before when i bought the game almost 2 years ago i got the 1 month free...realized how repetitive the game was and didnt renew my subscription, now nearly 2 years later I have paid for just 1 more month...now in this month I will probably find not much has changed in 2 years (what did they do with all those subscription fees? probably didnt mainly go to development) and then I will cancel it at end of month disappointed again that everything is still so repetitive. So ya paying month to month is a waste but giving that much money upfront thinking you'll be playing this game 5 years down the road is a laugh...and also a laugh they say "lifetime" but then in small print under says for as long as the game is in development.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Troll's gotta Troll.
What you consider a wise investment of your money is going to be a stark contrast to what I consider a wise investment of my money.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-20-2011, 10:19 AM
If the LT price is $299 and the monthly sub is $15.00, then after 20 months the game is effectively free -- but includes all of the perks of paying a monthly sub.

For those who bought LTs at the beginning, they've been playing for free (unless they buy C-store stuff) for a while now. If the life of the game exceeds the number of months it takes to "pay off" the LT (at $15.00 a month), then lifers are in the best position of any player, especially given the monthly stipend of CS points.

Basically, those purchasing LT subs are indeed taking a risk, but if the game lasts enough months (and remains fun for those players), the risk will have been worthwhile.

I'm a Founder and Lifetimer in LOTRO and have never regretted it. As a Lifetimer in STO (on sale, not full price), I haven't regretted it yet, although there have been a few close brushes, especially recently. I have a few months to go before I hit that magical break-even point, but I'm still enjoying most of the game so there's definitely a chance the risk will have been worth it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-20-2011, 10:22 AM
oh and then to top it off...if it wasnt enough that people pay these high prices to play monthly for new available items instead of making them free, they want to charge you more money from the C store...funny...they take our subscription money and use it to develop in game items that are suppose to be free (thats why we pay subscription fees i thought) to try and make more money..corporate greed as overcome the gaming industry and profiteering in this country has hit an all time high.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-20-2011, 10:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender2010 View Post
oh and then to top it off...if it wasnt enough that people pay these high prices to play monthly for new available items instead of making them free, they want to charge you more money from the C store...funny...they take our subscription money and use it to develop in game items that are suppose to be free (thats why we pay subscription fees i thought) to try and make more money..corporate greed as overcome the gaming industry and profiteering in this country has hit an all time high.
If it doesn't seem like a good deal to you.. don't buy one?

I bought mine during beta, because I know how I play games. I play for a few hours at a time, a couple of times a month. Paying MONTHLY makes no sense for someone like me, who would have a hard time justifying the cost of the subscription when I only played a little last month, and money was tight this month. Paying a lump sum meant that I could access the game any time, without HAVING to pay another dime into the system.

As for the CStore.. well that's another matter. And with the "Free-to-Play" launch, I'll be a gold member for life.. meaning that I'll receive 400cpoints a month, to spend in the CStore.

Was it a good investment in January 2009? I think so.

You're free to decide what to do with your own money tho.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-20-2011, 10:33 AM
The one good thing about F2P is that they will keep the game alive as long as they are making money.

I myself have a Lifetime Subscription and have played just about two years and I honestly feel that I have more than gotten my money’s worth Everything else is gravy to me and now that I can accumulate Cryptic Points while I play and of course the 400cpoints a month, I will be able to get free things every month.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender2010 View Post
...corporate greed as overcome the gaming industry and profiteering in this country has hit an all time high.
Oh??? As the saying goes... 'Greed is Good!' Keep in mind that if it wasn't for the desire to produce $$$ STO, (or any of the other MMRPGs that are out there...) wouldn't even exist... Its time to accept reality and get over it....

(And as far as 'free' in-game items goes, I very much like the Android BO I received this week as part of the 700 Day Veterans Reward... Thank you very much!!!)
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouchy.Otaku

(And as far as 'free' in-game items goes, I very much like the Android BO I received this week as part of the 700 Day Veterans Reward... Thank you very much!!!)
Looking forward to mine too - 18 days to go. Is it per character or per account?