Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > C-Store, ZEN, and Promotions
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
12-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekkieTravis View Post
Really?? By this logic, once you buy "enough" lottery tickets, you should be guaranteed the jackpot. That's not how lotteries work.
I don't know what lottery you're talking about, but in most it is theoretically possible to buy out every permutation of numbers that can be drawn. So it actually *is* how lotteries work

EDIT: This in no way means that I believe that after a threshold number of chances are bought from Cryptic you should get the "Bug", What Cryptic is offering is not a lottery. I have no preference on this matter other than to not spend my money on these winter packages. I was just pointing out a fallacy.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-21-2011, 11:51 AM
this is like saying you spent lots of money buying lottery tickets so that means you should automatically win the big jackpot. you're never guaranteed anything, you just get a chance to get a ship a chance that is random, like they state before you buy one. it involves something called luck and random chance. by buying more boxes you simply buy more chances to get the ship. it shouldn't really be that complicated. also it is just a game and an item in a game that not everyone is going to have.

EDIT: oh someone brought this up before i posted! but yeah its just not how games of chance and luck work. you could buy a bunch and win nothing or buy one and win something or anywhere in between.
Lt. Commander
# 13 1% drop rate
12-21-2011, 12:26 PM
You got it and the Mr XII set gear has the same drop rate and rare borg salvage is about 2%
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Seeing threads like this make me laugh. To whoever makes the decisions for these types of promotions at Cryptic/PWI, I sure hope you guys are considering a Christmas in July event just so you guys can buy yourself a nice new office building. Who knows. Maybe Cryptic will make enough money to buy out CBS and Paramount from these things so they won't have to worry about licensing and content approvals anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by f(t)
I don't know what lottery you're talking about, but in most it is theoretically possible to buy out every permutation of numbers that can be drawn. So it actually *is* how lotteries work

EDIT: This in no way means that I believe that after a threshold number of chances are bought from Cryptic you should get the "Bug", What Cryptic is offering is not a lottery. I have no preference on this matter other than to not spend my money on these winter packages. I was just pointing out a fallacy.
Technically, yes you could buy enough lotto tickets to get your "chance" of winning up to 100%.

To do that in the CA lottery, you would need to spend $25,333,661,696 in order to purchase every variable. The current jackpot is $173,000,000, resulting in a net LOST of over $25 billion dollars per lottery run using your strategy.

Spend $25billion on Winter Boxes and I bet you would get a bug ship too...
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekkieTravis View Post
Technically, yes you could buy enough lotto tickets to get your "chance" of winning up to 100%.

To do that in the CA lottery, you would need to spend $25,333,661,696 in order to purchase every variable. The current jackpot is $173,000,000, resulting in a net LOST of over $25 billion dollars per lottery run using your strategy.

Spend $25billion on Winter Boxes and I bet you would get a bug ship too...
You could also just buy Cryptic or make a friend in the company. Both of those options come much cheaper.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSWW View Post
You could also just buy Cryptic or make a friend in the company. Both of those options come much cheaper.
Quite true! I'm pretty sure PWE paid less than $25billion to buy Cryptic. =P
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-21-2011, 01:40 PM
personally i would like to find all of the people spending hundreds of dollars on cpoints and see if any of them would be generous enough to buy me a galaxy dreadnought or something!

but really no one should be complaining that they spent too much money, because no one forced anyone to buy anything with real money ever. some people just wanted one and didn't get it so they're mad. sometimes you have to accept that you can't just have everything you want, especially objects in an online video game.
Lt. Commander
# 19 Another one right here
01-20-2012, 03:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes85 View Post
if you're saying people have spent 30,000+ points on this thing and have not won it, while others claim to have several in less than 20 boxes and others that they got one on the first attempt its proof that either the algorithm is very seriously bugged or the whole thing is a rigged scam

30k points without the ship is a blatant scam. that removes any possibility of a realistic chance of winning it
23000 cpoints and not a Jem-Hadar ship in sight! I whole heartedly agree that this was a scam from the beginning as there was no realistic way for some people to win the ship, though I did hear of someone spending $750+ before winning that ship, then there was someone who claimed they got 2 ships within the first 15 boxes. On the balance of the available evidence, obvious scam is (in hindsight) obvious!
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-20-2012, 06:48 AM
Or you could just write some favourable reviews for STO and get one given to you lol