Lt. Commander
# 11
12-22-2011, 04:40 PM
This actually happens quite a bit, and it's not just naive people that get hit with it. Usually this happens in bigger games where Chinese farmers have the resources to brute force the games. they also attack common sources such as gmail, assuming you use the same password for everything. But there are also the simpiler methods, phishing mail, visiting unknown websites that download keyloggers, etc.

Usually it's good to change your PW's once in a while. In a perfect world we all would. But this world isn't perfect, so the next best thing is to use a mixed mode password, upper/lower case letters and numbers or symbols, because most of these kinds of attacks are brute force, someone with a program that executes username/password combo's with a dictionary file. Personally identifiable info in your passwords is a bad idea as well such as girlfriends name and date of birth that sort of thing. After I was hacked some time ago in EQ2, I started using a password generator that has long, non-sensical passwords. Use em for a couple weeks then generate a new one.

THe new trend which Cryptic might want to look into is the security code token method, where you get a keychain, or a phone app with a secondary password that changes every 60 seconds. Most games have them now.

In all honesty, I can't see why anyone would want to do this, because... to be honest... EC is practically useless in STO now.

I'm sorry it happened, and believe me, having been in MMO's a long time, I've been there, so I know what you're going through.

As for the CS response, well that's a different story. I dunno how it works at Cryptic, but most "first responder" CSR's are usually outsourced, and they are only trained to give the standard reply. Usually when they get bumped up to an actual employee that's where the ball starts rolling, so my advice is to not take the first persons word for anything, because I would be willing to bet they have the technology to not only return your stuff, but to discover where and when it happened. My EQ2 experience was 4 years ago, and THEY had the technology THEN to be able to do it. In 2011 there's no reason to believe they can't.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-22-2011, 04:51 PM
I've been hearing murmurs of Yahoo email accounts being hacked over the past several days. This is how I think a roommates WoW account was recently hacked. If you share passwords between your Yahoo email account and your STO account this might be a common denominator.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-22-2011, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi'a Meese
I've been hearing murmurs of Yahoo email accounts being hacked over the past several days. This is how I think a roommates WoW account was recently hacked. If you share passwords between your Yahoo email account and your STO account this might be a common denominator.
That's a possibility. I don't use YM and haven't for years, but I still have the account, and I can say that it's been compromised several times over those years. that same account to this day gets about a dozen phishing "Blizzard" "WoW" and "Battlenet" emails.... despite never having a wow account.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-22-2011, 05:19 PM
i wonder how someone would strip your items since pretty much everything binds on eqiup
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canders
i wonder how someone would strip your items since pretty much everything binds on eqiup
I would assume to sell for EC, which is pretty much standard practice for goldfarmers.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkshadow9498
I would assume to sell for EC, which is pretty much standard practice for goldfarmers.
you can't trade, transfer, or exchange post bound equipment, its stuck on the character its bound to.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-22-2011, 05:28 PM
Quote:
you can't trade, transfer, or exchange post bound equipment, its stuck on the character its bound to.
Right, but YOU can sell it to any vendor and pocket the EC, at which time you can give the EC to another player.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Right, but YOU can sell it to any vendor and pocket the EC, at which time you can give the EC to another player.
riiiiiight, thats dirty
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Quote:
riiiiiight, thats dirty
That it is
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-22-2011, 05:51 PM
Quote:

In all honesty, I can't see why anyone would want to do this, because... to be honest... EC is practically useless in STO now.
Not really. If you make a new KDF toon you cannot train your officers because you have 0 EC. You can get goodies like rare and very rare DOFFs on the exchange. Not to mention gear that was crafted using dilithium can be bought with EC. Heck, wish I had 250-300 mill EC so I could buy a Jem'Hadar Ship.

EC's remain useful in many areas of the game so I suspect Gold Sellers will continue breaking into accounts and selling it.