Lt. Commander
# 11
12-21-2011, 04:59 PM
One thing that wasn't answered or addressed:

If I have all my skill points in space right now and more or less a jack of all trades (6 bars in most skills with a small fraction having 9 or 3) will this remain largely unchanged or am I now forced to put points into a form of gameplay that I seldom use?
Lt. Commander
# 12 Sad
12-21-2011, 05:05 PM
The wheel was already round. My point? I have no interest whatsoever in ground combat, yet I will now be forced to take points away from what I love and put them in something I loathe. Here's the simplest idea you could consider: Give us the choice! That's all.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-21-2011, 05:10 PM
<activating flame retardant shield>

I really don't see the issue with the enforced space/ground split. All this does is keeps everyone on a level playing field. We all get the same number of space points to spend. I don't see a problem with that.

The only players this should affect are PVPers who spec entirely for space and like to make quick work of others who also enjoy ground combat.

I see this as being more fair for everyone and giving a better game experience in space and on ground.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-21-2011, 05:44 PM
The amount of skill points awarded is more but the new amount needed per skill is more than the increase. So everyone gets a nerf.
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-21-2011, 06:15 PM
I love the fact that their is a split know between ground and space, I have found it most illogical since launch that in a game where their are to different main gaming types that you where able to dump all you're points in one side & vice verse.

That being said stating the obvious.
I have to say can we pretty please get re-spec's whit some in-game means that isn't C-store points energy credit dumb & if it where tho be decides to be ditlithium that the cost not be higher then the C-store maximum conversion rate from what it costs on the C-store.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-21-2011, 06:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingsstar View Post
The wheel was already round. My point? I have no interest whatsoever in ground combat, yet I will now be forced to take points away from what I love and put them in something I loathe. Here's the simplest idea you could consider: Give us the choice! That's all.
this is exactly the point.

you put everything into space because you dont LIKE ground... who cares if you LIKE it? it's part of the game.

other people WANT to use ground.

so in PvP somebody who specced for both will be inferrior to you with all your skillpoints.
which means the ones who DO LIKE ground can't spec into it because of YOU.

...so... sorry ...you have to play by the same rules as the others now.

that's not only my opinion, thats the reason why Cryptic changed it and why the community requested them to change it over and over again since launch.

this is bringing BALANCE to the... Trek...
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-21-2011, 06:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroRobLA View Post
<activating flame retardant shield>

I really don't see the issue with the enforced space/ground split. All this does is keeps everyone on a level playing field. We all get the same number of space points to spend. I don't see a problem with that.

The only players this should affect are PVPers who spec entirely for space and like to make quick work of others who also enjoy ground combat.

I see this as being more fair for everyone and giving a better game experience in space and on ground.
Well put...

Also, I like the new UI. However, it could stand to be a bit less 'bulky'. Specifically, the size of green/gold/red bars could be decreased a bit. Not to mention the headers that say 'space' & 'ground' skills.
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-21-2011, 06:46 PM
That may not be final... but thats pretty impressive. Well done. Tweak it and push it to Holodeck as soon as you can. I'm still trying to figure out where to put the space skills, but I'll hopefully have it figured out by then.
Lt. Commander
I have a Close friend who is or was military, and I spoke to him that in the navy, which he was. You had your ship commanders and ground commanders. You did not have commanders who excelled at both Ship/Sea combat, and ground combat. You had Different commanders to each.

Forcing us to split our skills on this extreme is unrealistic. We should be allowed to spend our skill points as We see fit. From one pool, allowing us to focus on either Space, or ground. Not be highly skilled in both. I do not like it ONE bit.

I never spent any points in ground combat, because I found a set of ground powers for my Bridge officers, Weapons, Armor, and personal shields which was so effective I NEVER needed Ground skills.

I run with two engineers, and two science officers.

I give the engineers shield recharge 1, shield recharge 2, phaser turret 2, and Support drone Fabrication 1

My science officers I give Medical Tricorder 1, medical tricorder 2, Stasis field 2 (tachyon Harmonics 3 when/if I get an officer with it) Nanite health monitor 1

For Tactical officers which I never run with I give Photon grenade 1, battle strategies 2, Target optics 2, Fire on My Mark 2.

The gear I gave my Bridge officers were Personal shields cap x2 reg, Polly weave Alloy army, and a gattling gun of some type. For my own character I give two exploit weapons, Split beam, and sniper. With this effective combination I have NEVER EVER needed to worry about ground skills for STO pre season 5.

I regret to say, but the DEVS are starting to KILL Star Trek online for me. I think I will be spending more and more time on Star Wars TOR. Please do not force a mandatory Ground space skill split. Please Allow us to Spend our Skill points where WE want, do not FORCE us to split them.
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-21-2011, 10:50 PM
Greetings,
I went on my main VA tac on tribble - test shard and tried out the new Skill tree splits. For some reason, I wasn't able to put the last 1000 points from the total 275,000, so only 274,000 was used up. There were 2 bottom Lt. tier that has room to take that 1,000 points left over in space, but it would not, so I just click 'accept' and went on.
Kinda tough to test out space or ground WITHOUT other players on tribble to que up with on any PvP/PvE queue's. So I went to do a Deep Space Encounter in the Gamma Orionis against the borg. I'm ok with the performance against NPC's/vs.Borg, but then all of a sudden after clearing away 5 groups of borgs, mostly probes and spheres, I tangled with a regular borg cube and in the midst of the battle my STO game client screen crashed. That was replaced immediatedly by the 'CrypticError:Oops!' pop-up window asking me what I was doing, so I sent in a ticket for that.

I believe if u want more players to help me help you test this new Skill Tree you may want to think about offering some sort of "incentives" as in form of reward for testing this out to give you more feedback... 'cause earlier it was just me placing myself on ANY of the queve's.

Good Luck to everyone who worked on this new skil tree, and those helping to test this.

( Btw, the new skill trees to me seems easier to grasps then the old in that the color codes( e.g. green, yellow, red ) and the numbers w/ +/- separating them does help to decide how far they should go. Such features are much improved over the old "Computer IT-Friendly" only format, it seems. The detail examples of what skills it effects does help and will help new F2P's know what those skills will effect readily and it'll give them clearer ideas more easily where to put more points to, etc. )

And for those players who doesn't like the changes, just tell or give examples to what you mean and want exactly to help them fix or change it. Nobody likes changes from what they're used to so long and found comfortable with, but some changes are necessary 'cause only ALL Space/Ground PvPr's hate this splits. You still have all your space points needs to allocate where you want to put it, In my opinion for what I saw and tried.

For example, I don't want to get stuck in space Que's with guys and gals that only put points more on ground, or vice versa 'cause I or any player in that situation finds they're "pulling the wagon loads more", so to speak. Those that only puts points on ground, u know well 'cause u see them die a lot and respawning a lot while the rest of the PUG team pulls the weight whether STF's or PvP PUGs, for example.

The Skill Tree splits was already in the works, and you can't change that, but now that it's coming all you can do is help these people behind Cryptic do the changes according to the likings of the mass majority. So your voices/thoughts counts now, ppl. Lets help them hear what we think to hopefully affect any of these sort of changes to be more positive than negative, eh?