Reason for post- War as proven in DS9 is the mother of necessity. The KDF carriers have ruled pvp since day 1. It is only logical the federation would combat, or match this weapon.
Canon- Proof there is a federation carrier.
DS9 series, season 6 episode 1 "A Time To Stand"
After the 'last season' bit, they evacuate DS9 with the assault by the Dominion. There is a scene where a cruiser is being towed by tractor beam. To the right of that fighters fly awkwardly by, and then there she is... A 'thrudeck carrier'. http://www.shipschematics.net/startr...agingqueen.jpg http://www.shipschematics.net/startr...rier_curry.jpg
The only source I find this is here. http://www.shipschematics.net/startr...filter=Carrier
(You can see a column where it says 'no', this is if it's official Startrek or not)
According to this website, the ship is named the 'raging queen' there is also another one named the 'Curry'; I cannot find this one in the episode. Looking at its design it's Pre-war. This tells me the Federation had built carriers before the war with the Dominion. The 'it's not canon' folks can try to shoot this down, but it's there in the episode, fighter wings and all.
These ships would be the size of cruisers. With two ships in the class, one commander that is similar to KDF flight deck cruisers. And a larger one closer to strength of a KDF carrier.
The light carrier
2 engineer, 2 science, 1 tactical consoles.
Ensign tactical, Ensign engineering, LT engineering, Lt commander engineering, ensign science
3 fore and 2 aft weapons
+5 to shield power
This ship would be a little quicker and handle a little better than the KDF same rank carrier, but has less combat effectiveness. This ship would come with Peregrine fighters. Valkyrie class fighters would be added as an option, preferably in the Dil store.
The heavier carrier
4 engineer, 3 science, 1 tactical consoles.
ensign tactical, Lt engineering, Lt commander engineering, Commander engineering, Lt science
4 for and 2 aft weapons
+15 to shield power
This ship would be once again more maneuverable than the KDF ships. Due to the lack of mass and lack of large attack craft. This ship would come with Peregrine fighters and Valkyrie fighters.
These carriers would rely on shielding and the speed to survive combat. KDF carriers are heavier, slower, and in general more combat based. Making the deciding factor in a 1v1 on the ability of the captains.
Retort for KDF 'uniqueness'-
KDF will still have the huge carriers capable of fielding BoP's, the support carriers. And frankly carriers out the ying yang. Giving federation these two carriers in no way over powers the federation. But instead offers hard core Fed players an insight into carrier game play. The draw for a larger more powerful carrier will in no doubt in my mind draw more people to the KDF to experience the more... in depth carrier game play.
Actually, those ships are supply and troop transporters. They carry either troops or supply, supply meaning prefabricated items that can't easily be replicated on the fly, antimatter, torpedoes (casings, guidance) and just about everything else you need to keep a fleet running.
As for your list of vessels: Non canon since every single one ship listed is a fan-fic.
The Federation has never had carriers in canon, because carriers in trek are stupid.
Originally Posted by claydermunch
The pros are: none.
The Cons are:
- You're adding another monument to stupidity.
- Instead of revamping the vo'quv and kar'fi towards drone carrying ship (see, no-one would complain about drones because its actually not a moronic idea.) adding a fed carrier just encourages the continuation of this BS.
- The klinkers need their Shoe. The Feds got their Shoe's. MVAM, Dreads, Cloaking Escorts, tanking escorts, pointless escorts, weird science, funny science, imba science. Well seated in the eyebrow raiser department.
The klinkers shoe is basically carriers and bop, and bops they are bound to lose once romulans turn up (those guys will probably get battlelcoaking cruisers.too).. You can't just give away their special shoe.
- Basic gameplay question:
So, what deployables should the fed carrier get? The same as the klinkers? Including all the recent pay2use stuff? You want a carbon copy? Do you guys have any idea beyond "launches fighter, more carriers and defiants"?
What role is this ship to fill? The spam role? Wee and here i thought we got that front covered exceedingly well already.
- further put into "why, how, and WHY?!" territory by the fact that every federation ship apparently has a large shuttlebay anyway which raises the question why there should be a dedicated carrier ship instead of say consoles that give every ship the ability to launch something.
- Incidentally: why isn't the fed using holo drones/fighter? I mean they saw it fit to be able to holo-summon freaking battleships... one would think a wing of fighters would be more promising.... since they are smaller and wont immediately be lolstomped off the battlefield again...
- Ever heard of Faction pride? Learn to use what the Federation has, and stop wimpering over how the grass is greener on the other side.
Why shouldn't feds get a super tanked spam mobile? Klinks currently have everything handed to them PVP wise. Wonder why pvp is dead? Cause you either die to uncloaking bops before you can see them, or you have carriers you cannot kill with out an act of god.
You say carriers are the KDF 'shoe'? Well KDF got a science ship, Fed's 'shoe'. Bops are by far better than any Fed escort. Cruisers are by far better. Only thing KDF dont have that FED does is PVE content, infact KDF has it a little better. Except the crap UI color.