Lt. Commander
# 21
12-22-2011, 08:11 AM
I would take everything you read on the F2P faq's with a pinch of salt. It states that nothing has been fully worked out yet, everything else is mere speculation.

Personally i feel that having paid a sub for several months, everything that i've gain from it i've paid for and so will be keeping it. If they feel the need to take all that away from me then i just won't play full stop.

It's probably about time they finally worked out how much they're going to screw us over on the conversion to Silver, or at least tell us (but i suspect it will be a last minute thing).
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-22-2011, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch99 View Post
I'd have to dig up the F2P matrix they posted, but I recall it saying Vet rewards are locked to silver and unlocked to Gold.

UPDATE- confirmed you lose the access to vet rewards see here.

http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p_features
It only says silver members can not earn veteran rewards, nothing about existing gold members losing access to their current rewards if they switch to silver. Since those are something you paid for, I don't think you'll lose them, you just won't gain any new ones.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-22-2011, 08:57 AM
It says "Not available". If it's like Champions F2p, it does mean you lose access.

It's possible I am misinterpreting, but I am basing my conclusion on Champions model for F2p.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-22-2011, 09:09 AM
Since GK pointed me to this thread to chime in I'll chime in XD

As far as I know that I've read/talked about etc, we know this for certain.

Anything purchased via c-store will stay. This includes slots. As for Vet rewards, I'd assume as well they'd go to locked status OR the character would be not available since it utilizes a lot of gold features (which would be my best guess)
Lt. Commander
# 25
12-22-2011, 09:09 AM
It may say "not available", but the rewards are unlocked via accolade. If the accolade has already been unlocked on a character, that character should retain the benefits of that accolade.

It seems wrong to take away a veteran reward simply because I stop subscribing. I subscribed for X time, therefore I deserve the reward that's given for subscribing for X time, regardless of whether or not I'm still subscribed.

Does a company take away the pension for an employee who retires? Does the Military take away benefits from a retiree? No. Not if they've earned it and remain in good standing (i.e. not invoking disciplinary action). how are Veteran Rewards any different? They're a reward for the length of time you've subscribed. How does pausing that subscription make you unfit for rewards you've earned? It makes little to no sense to me.

Either way, I'd like to see a dev confirm either way, and I hope they'll let us keep what we've earned. Speculation is pointless.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-22-2011, 09:13 AM
The thing is, this is precisely "how" F2p works, like it or not. Your used to certain comforts in your MMO, if having all of them is necessary to enjoy the game, you likely will break down and go Gold.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-22-2011, 09:16 AM
They're already taking away enough as it is. Inventory slots, bank slots, free ship tokens, character slots, support options...

There's no reason to take away Veteran rewards. That's like going up to a war veteran and taking his medal of honor away from him at his retirement ceremony. "Oh, sorry. You're not active duty, so you can't have your medals anymore."

I understand incentives for getting people to subscribe. But taking away Veteran rewards isn't one of them.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-22-2011, 09:18 AM
And I agree with you 100%. I am just believing this is what the information on the Matrix means at "this time" subject to change.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chooch99 View Post
Yes, I do believe you WILL lose your Vet rewards which will become "Locked" until you convert to Gold. I recall reading Vet rewards are Gold, and not Silver benefits.
No, I'm pretty sure you will not lose the vet rewards you have already earned. However, you will not earn anymore as a silver. These rewards are given for subscribing for X number of days. You have essentially 'paid' for them, so you get to keep them. These are one of the things that Stormshade refers to when he says 'you won't lose anything'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterSnowblind View Post
It's also possible F2P players will be able to earn veteran reward (although you'd start again from day 1). I know Everquest is doing this, but I have no idea if other Cryptic games have. But if F2P members are sticking around and supporting the game, I see no reason why they shouldn't get them.
No, this is clear from the matrix that silver players do NOT earn vet rewards.
Lt. Commander
# 30
12-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinumbar
No, I'm pretty sure you will not lose the vet rewards you have already earned. However, you will not earn anymore as a silver. These rewards are given for subscribing for X number of days. You have essentially 'paid' for them, so you get to keep them. These are one of the things that Stormshade refers to when he says 'you won't lose anything'.

No, this is clear from the matrix that silver players do NOT earn vet rewards.
Actually, the more chooch99 chimes in on this thread, the more I think he is right.

Think about it this way, since Season 5 launched, how many posts have been made where Cryptic did something that was contrary to what players thought would happen? And how many of those have been to the benefit the players and not Cryptic?

From Cryptic's point of view, it actually doesn't make sense to continue allowing vet rewards if you are a silver account, as it makes a subscription more valuable over time (meaning less likely to cancel it). And the F2P matrix doesn't say "limited" it says "unavailable" for vet rewards.

EDIT: For clarity and typos