Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
And by use, I mean spend it on stuff?

Since the Dilithium economy came in I've barely spent any - sure I've traded it for C-Points (and continue to play the exchange to get C-Points for 'free') but all I've spent Dilithium on was some unreplicatable materials (to craft a console I needed after the last great console nerf).

Other than that, I haven't spent a single unit. The Dilithium prices for ship/ground equipment are way too expensive to be worth it at VA so I still get most of the gear I want using ECs at the exchange - anyone else finding Dilithium to be largely irrelevant (again, aside for swapping for C-Points)?

And if my case isn't an exception, surely at some point the C-Point <-> Dilithium exchange is going to break down 'cause nobody actually needs the Dilithium?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
12-22-2011, 07:56 AM
Because of the insanely high exchange rates I have not spent one iota on it.(though I do have a buy offer in for 100 dilithium per c-point.)
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
12-22-2011, 07:56 AM
I bought some uncommon non-replicateable materials with it. Not much, though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
12-22-2011, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AegisPrime View Post
And by use, I mean spend it on stuff?

Since the Dilithium economy came in I've barely spent any - sure I've traded it for C-Points (and continue to play the exchange to get C-Points for 'free') but all I've spent Dilithium on was some unreplicatable materials (to craft a console I needed after the last great console nerf).

Other than that, I haven't spent a single unit. The Dilithium prices for ship/ground equipment are way too expensive to be worth it at VA so I still get most of the gear I want using ECs at the exchange - anyone else finding Dilithium to be largely irrelevant (again, aside for swapping for C-Points)?

And if my case isn't an exception, surely at some point the C-Point <-> Dilithium exchange is going to break down 'cause nobody actually needs the Dilithium?
I have spent a fair amount of dilithium on doffs so far. Nothing on equipment though, as I already have everything I need outside of STF gear. If you bought gear at the exchange, consider that some of that might have been crafted by someone using dilithium, so you could be indirectly using it anyway. It could equally be argued that the market for c-points is not infinite - if you have everything you want on a character (ships, bank space unlocks etc) would you buy anything else?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
12-22-2011, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Because of the insanely high exchange rates I have not spent one iota on it.(though I do have a buy offer in for 100 dilithium per c-point.)
The rates vary all the time but are generally in the 420-440 Dilithium per C-Point range - thing is, you can still make 'free' Dilithium/C-Points this way - all you're looking for is a decent return (irrespective of the sale price) - so if someone's offering to buy my 100 C-Points for 430 but I know I can sell the Dilithium back again at 425 then I'm making 1 'free' C-Point.

I typically buy/sell at a 9 or 10 Dilithium markup so if I'm buying/selling 1000 C-Points I can make 20+ C-Points on each sale. As the amount you trade goes up, so do the profits. Guess I shoulda rolled a Ferengi
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
12-22-2011, 08:09 AM
My main spent a bit on crafting supplies. Certain items are selling for a bundle on Exchange, so I seized the opportunity. Made ~1M EC for about an hour's work, first in researching what was in high demand and second in checking to see which of those items were relatively cheap to build.

I anticipate a very profitable period right after the F2P gates get flung open.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
12-22-2011, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldurin
I have spent a fair amount of dilithium on doffs so far. Nothing on equipment though, as I already have everything I need outside of STF gear. If you bought gear at the exchange, consider that some of that might have been crafted by someone using dilithium, so you could be indirectly using it anyway.
True, although the Dilithium was shoehorned into crafting when it really wasn't needed - and the general opinion seems to be crafting is dying because of it (I use to craft lots of stuff but don't any more because of the Dilithium tax).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldurin
It could equally be argued that the market for c-points is not infinite - if you have everything you want on a character (ships, bank space unlocks etc) would you buy anything else?
I'd argue that as long as Cryptic keep putting things in the C-Store that players want, the number of C-Points will be largely infinite. There's also the stipends to take into account. My point was more that (for me, can't speak for others), Dilithium is really only of use for buying C-Points - it's uses as a game currency in STO are limited due to prohibitive prices and the fact that ECs are still the more flexible currency.

Personally, I spent a lot more using emblems than I ever have Dilithium. Of course, some of the things we used to be able to spend emblems on (ships for example) just ain't there any more...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
12-22-2011, 08:20 AM
I blew my marks and and such before the currency conversion. Since then I don't think I've spent any besides one time for crafting. Out of three characters, I've used Dilithium one time. /shrugs.

It's pointless. I've been working STFs for gear. Because of the price of gear and items for Dilithium, I'm relying on quests and missions for loot drops and rewards. Since the 16th though I've been in TOR, so what Cryptic does with STO doesn't really matter anymore. It'll go F2P and I'll have a part time game to tool about with.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
12-22-2011, 08:21 AM
I haven't spent any YET. But I am planning on it. I'm eying certain Doffs for my VA. To be honest, I'm enjoying my dailies a bit more lately as I've been earning about 7500 Dil every day. For some reason it just "feels" more rewarding than Emblems were. It's a lot easier to do a couple of days worth of dailies and buy a cool purple diplomatic Doff.

I'm also hoarding it for a bit. I like to have a minimum balance in my bank. I'm just that way.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
12-22-2011, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprint01
I blew my marks and and such before the currency conversion. Since then I don't think I've spent any besides one time for crafting. Out of three characters, I've used Dilithium one time. /shrugs.

It's pointless. I've been working STFs for gear. Because of the price of gear and items for Dilithium, I'm relying on quests and missions for loot drops and rewards. Since the 16th though I've been in TOR, so what Cryptic does with STO doesn't really matter anymore. It'll go F2P and I'll have a part time game to tool about with.
STFs and some PvP are about all I do now too - got the M.A.C.O. Mk XI shield for my ship (I like Resilient Shield Arrays ) and I'm working on a complete Mk XI M.A.C.O. ground set - once I've grinded that out there's nothing else left in the game to work towards (don't need a full M.A.C.O. ship set 'cause the retro Borg stuff is better, can't be bothered with the hassle of getting Mk XII).

Now if they added some interesting Mk XII stuff to crafting (new Aegis set?) then I actually might start spending some Dilithium...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerilynnS View Post
I haven't spent any YET. But I am planning on it. I'm eying certain Doffs for my VA. To be honest, I'm enjoying my dailies a bit more lately as I've been earning about 7500 Dil every day. For some reason it just "feels" more rewarding than Emblems were. It's a lot easier to do a couple of days worth of dailies and buy a cool purple diplomatic Doff.
Hmm... haven't looked into buying DOFFs (haven't really seen the point with all the free ones) - I get rid of the commons as I get them so I'm slowing building up a collection of uncommon+

Might take a look though - something to do I suppose
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:05 PM.