Lt. Commander
# 31
12-22-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q4s4R View Post
minimal staff but a short deadline for feedback. how is it possible?
hate to say it, but this, is not a first, I've seen changes hit tribble and with less than a full day of reaction, they hit holodeck. The Sinking eye incident was one of them, This is just another case of it, me thinks.
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-22-2011, 04:52 PM
Quote:
I don't really like the "Captain 44" idea... I don't think I have ever come across someone with a problem with distinguishing the ranks.
nor have I. and even if there are a few its really not that difficult to look up on wikipedia. certainly not enough of an issue to warrent going out of your way to implement something like this. and as far as confusion about ranks go, if anything this looks like it would be more confusing, if anything, to me.

Quote:
Based on many of the changes for F2P (esp gaudy ESD signs) I think they're expecting people with the brain capacity of slugs to be joining STO.
i'm starting to think this too. its like they're either expecting people that aren't very bright or really really young kids. either way its made for some odd decisions. its really not a complicated game, people don't need to be hand held like children. and if this change is really for kids young enough to need these kinds of changes they're probably too young to be playing online games in general.

PS: fix the signs

Quote:
I'm sad that this didn't involve a change in the UI that would allow us to choose our form of address in dialogues. Not everyone cares to be considered an "Admiral" by NPCs.

I still think the Rear Admiral "Upper Half" and "Lower Half" distinction is silly, though. I would not have kept it.
fixing that will involve alot more than just a minor change. I wouldn't expect it to happen any time soon

Quote:
THIS!!!!!!! Sick of Starfleet being top heavy with Admirals acting like Captains.
there are plenty of field flag officers as well you know. not everyone who is a senior rank sits in an office. look how many senior officers there were during ww2 and how many of them operated at the front

Quote:
I am also suprised about the statment that the rank system was confusing. After all, are we sure that the next generation of players really knos that 42 is higher than 38?
this. though I would have thought the entire point was moot given that if you don't understand the ranks all you have to do is click the button and it brings up a page that lits all the ranks in the correct order. if anyone still had trouble understanding how the ranks worked after viewing that I would seriously suggest seeing a doctor and getting checked out

Quote:
and to be fair, the Federation ranks are not confusing anybody, but the Klingon ones always seemed a bit strange to me... brigadier general, commander general..
what? the klingon ranks go brigadier general -> major general - > lieutenant general

granted I can understand how the klingon one might be a tad confusing given that a major is higher than a lieutenant. basically it goes back to the way ranks were set up in medieval europe. 'major general' was at one time 'sergeant major general' but that part eventually got shortened and others such as captain general were eliminated outright.
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-22-2011, 05:39 PM
While I sincerely appreciate your efforts in trying to make the game easier for new people to play, there are some fundamental characteristics of Star Trek that are inherit in its composition. There simply are ranks in a militaristic structure and to lose sight of that is a loss of immersion. While MOST of the STO players have indeed heard of Star Trek, they are familiar with a ranking system. This is not a difficult issue by any stretch of the imagination to learn if they are not. Definitely not more difficult than crafting or skill trees...

If you want to make the game better, I propose to allow people choose how they see things so that you are not "dumbing" it down too far for those individuals who are more familiar with the game and enjoy a sense of immersion. In a similar action, the mission tracking was made to allow players to move to certain areas of the game only after they have completed specific sets of missions first.

Again, please consider allowing the players to choose how this affects their game play experience. I never mind gaining functionality, but it is unacceptable to lose functionality. There are some missions I may wish to overlook and not play, but that should not keep me from playing other parts of the game. I believe that mission availability should be determined by the level of the character and not a dictated track decided by someone else. Side Note: For Featured Episodes, I can understand making them sequential in play for the first time as they usually have an arcing story line.

I agree there will be a lot of NEW players when F2P rolls out, but many veterans of the game, including myself, enjoy helping new players learn and enjoy the game. I have been a lifetime member since before launch and people who were in closed beta were very kind to help me learn about the game and it was fun.

On another note, I cannot wait to check out the support for DirectX 11. I am pleased to see that kind of improvement being pushed out for STO.

OTHER ITEMS FOR SERIOUS CONSIDERATION:
Additional Fleet Bank Tabs - needs serious attention
Raising the Level Cap - needs serious attention
Allowing Multiple Events for the Hourly Events (With my work schedule, I have not yet been able to play the Defera Invasion)
- If not allowing multiple events, at least rotate them...

Overall I can see a lot of care and attention going into this game by the whole Cryptic Team. For that I am grateful.
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-22-2011, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobayashi Maru
This is a great change and will help clarify why "Commander 0" doesn't actually award a promotion as one might expect. I support this update. However, as others suggested, it might be better to decouple the ranking system altogether. At the very least display it as something closer to:

Level 36 (Rank: Commander)

If time and development permit, it would be nice to set your "Rank" separate from your actual level (i.e. allow me to show "Level 50 (Captain)" to other players, and not just "Level 50 (Vice Admiral)" when I'm wearing captain pips)
I am not so sure I understand why people need to be primarily identified by their level... Why not a rank -which can be set in the title on the character's user settings (U). Why not make it so that when you scroll over or right click on a character, you can see a number that identifies level.

I honestly believe that this change makes it LESS like Star Trek rather than MORE like Star Trek. I wouldn't mind a better explanation, I just don't see it.... I guess I have not had any problems understanding my characters' levels and ranks and it is hard to empathize with those who have had these difficulties.
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Noo!!!!! I really don't think this is a good idea... it takes a way a lot of flavor and adds a small bit of clarification, which could have easily been solved by checking the rank advancement (a whole one click and some scrolling). Were people really that confused by it? I know i wasn't...
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-22-2011, 06:17 PM
Excellent on the DX11! Will try this when I get home. Hopefully the graphics will seem smoother. At the moment I'm experiencing some graphical lag which can be annoying during battles (e.g. camera swings to far due to graphical lag). Hopefully it will now play smoother
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-22-2011, 06:36 PM
< RANKS REVISED >
I'm honestly fine with this adjustment; it pretty much boils down to the K.i.S.S philosophy. Low priority wise, I agree with another poster: "more options" are always best, so a preference that toggles between [Rank Level] or [Rank Grade] should be feasible.

< DIRECTX 11 ENABLED >
^ This. The performance on the Macbook Pro 17 Bootcamp is so much better! Especially since you can reduce the resolution on weaker systems in fullscreen 'center' mode. Please, please please get this working by F2P! (The Devidian FX is much more noticeable!)

< BUGS >
Latest NVidia v285.62 on Windows 7 64-bit Macbook Pro 17"

>> There appears to be a glitch in the Troubleshooting pane that won't let you revert to Auto or DX9 once you select "Nvidia Geforce 9600m Gt #1 (direct3d 11 - Beta." Even after closing and reopening the program.

>> Alt-tab switching appears broken: Causes STO to reduce to a fixed-window attached to the upper-left corner; the fixed-window won't allow STO to go behind other programs or drop into the taskbar. Alt-switching back doesn't cause it to revert to fullscreen. [Note: Changing the resolution pops it back to fullscreen.]

>> Odd graphical pixelating issues in Alpha Trianguli Block of sector space.

>> Unrelated, but long-standing: Can y'all figure out what causes massive lag--jerky motion in the Defari system (space map), especially during space combat? Always been a problem in DX9 until graphic settings are major reduced; seems to be mostly lessened by DX11, but still there. I'm convinced it's backdrop, somehow: happens with similar backdrops in exploration.
Lt. Commander
# 38
12-22-2011, 07:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefiantPhoenix
Really? If people didn't understand the ranking system then they don't know trek and have no business playing a star trek game
/Thread right there.

Why the hell is Cryptic wasting their time? /facepalm. No wonder I've been on TOR more than STO...TOR has its problems...but Bioware gives a damn and fixes real issues.
Lt. Commander
# 39
12-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
/Thread right there.

Why the hell is Cryptic wasting their time? /facepalm. No wonder I've been on TOR more than STO...TOR has its problems...but Bioware gives a damn and fixes real issues.
Aside from the absolute false inference that Cryptic doesn't care or fix real issues, if you dislike STO so much; or that another person's opinion that X-Y-and-Z should leave, how about both of y'all take a cue from the same playbook and find a more worthwhile endeavor?

The adjustment makes perfect sense, as many items referenced include the level # -- as do the Devs constantly -- which works far better universally than trying to list out every single named Rank for each species, especially should more playable Factions be introduced in the future. You cal it a waste of time; some might consider it foresight.
Lt. Commander
# 40
12-22-2011, 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethyr808
Aside from the absolute false inference that Cryptic doesn't care or fix real issues, if you dislike STO so much; or that another person's opinion that X-Y-and-Z should leave, how about both of y'all take a cue from the same playbook and find a more worthwhile endeavor?

The adjustment makes perfect sense, as many items referenced include the level # -- as do the Devs constantly -- which works far better universally than trying to list out every single named Rank for each species, especially should more playable Factions be introduced in the future. You cal it a waste of time; some might consider it foresight.

Basic math - addition, subtraction - will tell you all you need to know about what level you are. Rank and grade for militaristic factions makes perfect sense. If you add a faction down the road where that doesn't fit, use this basic number system there.

When fast food restaraunt registers have removed numbers and replaced them with pictures, should I even be surprised when everything else keeps getting "simplified"?