Lt. Commander
# 1 Tax on CPoints?
12-28-2011, 09:43 AM
Just wanting to know if everyone else is getting taxed on CPoints purchases? I spent $25.00 on the 2000 points bundle and my credit card statement shows I was billed for $26.75. This is a first for me. I live in Massachusetts and I've never been taxed on an item purchase, not even virtual currency, in any of the 7 games I've played.

Just wondering if this is something new since PerfectWorld took over. I'm especially dumbfounded that I was not made aware of a tax on the items before, during, or after the purchase. The only way I found it was looking at my credit card statement.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-28-2011, 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRGodfrey
Just wanting to know if everyone else is getting taxed on CPoints purchases? I spent $25.00 on the 2000 points bundle and my credit card statement shows I was billed for $26.75. This is a first for me. I live in Massachusetts and I've never been taxed on an item purchase, not even virtual currency, in any of the 7 games I've played.

Just wondering if this is something new since PerfectWorld took over. I'm especially dumbfounded that I was not made aware of a tax on the items before, during, or after the purchase. The only way I found it was looking at my credit card statement.
It depends on the state/county you live in as some charge tax on any internet item transactions and some don't - and some states who didn't befpre are starting to now (California where I am is one of them); so you'l wantto check on the laws for your area (and I believe VAT is added to any purchase made from players 'across the pond' in either direction, and the VAT varies by country.)
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-29-2011, 02:48 AM
How farther away from US you live the more C-Points cost. Here in Germany we pay 22 % more for C-Store points because we have to pay in , and that is before adding vat.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-29-2011, 03:06 AM
25% VAT... and it looses in conversion too...
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-30-2011, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDRGodfrey
Massachusetts proposed an internet sales tax bill back in April of this year. I can only assume that your state's government finally passed it.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-30-2011, 01:51 PM
My understanding is that States cannot force out of State businesses to collect sales tax. However, you are supposed to pay any unpaid sales tax when you pay income taxes (at least in California). Nobody does. Some businesses have volunteered to collect State sales tax. Others may have to because they operate out of that State.

So the bottom line, either Cryptic is voluntarily collecting Sales Tax for Massachusetts or they (or Perfect World) have offices in that State.