Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
12-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
The ability to Respec in-game hasn't been taken, it'll just bring Cryptic more money in the long run.
Afraid I have to disagree here. Not counting the tokens you get from leveling up, there is no in-game method to get a respec now. Now to be clear, I believe 'in-game' means no C-Store involvement.

Right now, you have to use the C-Store and thus real money has to be spent to acquire it. Now your thinking the Dilithium Exchange prevents that, which it does for you, but in reality it is simply passing the buck to another player. Prior to F2P, respecs could be obtain with merits which were giving from missions (by the game). There was no player to player trading method of merits nor did any player affect another player's ability to gain merits. Now Post F2P, you need someone to purchase C-Store points and sell them on the exchange or just flat out purchase C-Store points on your own.

Cryptic thus took a free services (which required a little grind) and turned it into a pay-only system.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
12-24-2011, 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix View Post
Afraid I have to disagree here. Not counting the tokens you get from leveling up, there is no in-game method to get a respec now. Now to be clear, I believe 'in-game' means no C-Store involvement.
Once you equate No In Game Method, with No Method That Excludes the C-Store I absolutely agree with you.

However, like it or not, the C-Store itself, at least as far as Cryptic is concerned, is an integral part of the game and refusing to acknowledge that doesn't make it less true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursix View Post
Cryptic thus took a free services (which required a little grind) and turned it into a pay-only system.
Yes, but they also took a huge portion of a game they spent more than two years on (engine development prior to obtaining the franchise, and the time they took to develop STO itself using said engine) and are going to be giving it for free. 51 levels of gameplay across 3 different career paths with multiple combinations of powers and abilities, every piece of mission-content, Featured Episode, and all... is going to be given to anyone who'd create and account and download the client.

I remember hearing something in STAR TREK along the lines of the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. Perhaps Cryptic believes that for the sake of making STO F2P, the Community would be willing to make sacrifices.

It sure seems Cryptic is willing to sacrifice everything STO for the sake of making it F2P.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
12-24-2011, 05:51 PM
All which is completely irrelevant.

We are subscribers, we should not have to pay extra or be inconvenienced in playing a game that we pay for.
Not to mention that Cryptic repeatedly gave us our word that we would not be loosing anything in the transition and that subscribers would notice little to no change, and I expect them to honor that commitment.

That is all that matters.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
12-24-2011, 06:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Cryptic repeatedly gave us our word that we would not be loosing anything in the transition and that subscribers would notice little to no change, and I expect them to honor that commitment.
yeah... that was a lot of LAWAYER TALK
if you take it by the exact meaning that they intended with it, it is correct.

we did not loose anything on our ACCOUNTS / CHARS, our items and ships are still intact.

but the way to acquire certain things has changed,
since we did not have those items before, they cant be *taken away* from us, but they can be made harder or more expensive to get.

take the Exclesior Tier 3 for example, if you bought it with Energy Credits pre Season 5, you still had it after Season 5. but the way to get it has been changed from pure ingame to C-Store.

so nobody who had it lost the item, everybody who wants it from now on... 800 CP please!

As soon as you remove the *option to acquire* something ingame from the meaning of the sentence ..."you will loose nothing" you get exactly what they said.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
12-24-2011, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
All which is completely irrelevant.

We are subscribers, we should not have to pay extra or be inconvenienced in playing a game that we pay for.
Not to mention that Cryptic repeatedly gave us our word that we would not be loosing anything in the transition and that subscribers would notice little to no change, and I expect them to honor that commitment.

That is all that matters.
Did you even read the EULA/TOS you've signed? All that matters is what is said in the EULA/TOS, not your perception of what you think they owe you or the promises they made.

Don't get me wrong, Cryptic messed up big time, but in essence unless you're ready to take them to Court over it or simply quit the game, all you're doing is spending your time unproductively just as I am being unproductive responding to you.

We're both wasting our breath, only I have a better chance of reaching you than you are Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
12-24-2011, 06:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post

We're both wasting our breath, only I have a better chance of reaching you than you are Cryptic.
Actually, its the other way around.

FYI: EULA/TOS has absolutely nothing to do with what is morally and ethically right or wrong.
They made certain assurances which they have yet to fulfill.

At present, subscribers have "lost" the ability to respec through purely In-Game means.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
12-24-2011, 08:23 PM
It is going from a Monthly Subscription to a Pay-As-You-Go based game..

We'll have to wait and see just how much Trek / MMO Fans are willing to put up with the New Status-Quo.

Either way, there's not a dang thing any of us can do about it now.

I'm hoping ts kinda-sorta doesn't do really great and They have to start offering as incentives, the various things that They are currently being miserly with.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
12-25-2011, 06:28 AM
Gold members should get free respecs.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
12-25-2011, 07:32 AM
Indeed, a free token once a month alongside the stipend would go a long way to making subscriptions worthwhile.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
12-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
Indeed, a free token once a month alongside the stipend would go a long way to making subscriptions worthwhile.
I really doubt they'd give every character on every Gold account a freespec token on a monthly basis as that may amount to quite a bit of coin they'd lose. Instead, I'd rather they add as many Cryptic Points it would cost to buy one Respec Token to the monthly stipend.

I'm sorry to say this folks but a Gold subscription has become a double-edged sword. On the one side, it's designed to save you some CP's for each new character you level up from Lv1 to max-level. On the other hand changes to the game have made it so that each character you grow from Lv1 to max-level requires an considerable investment of either time, or money and quite likely, both!

That's what becoming/being Free-to-Play means for a game like Star Trek Online and it's unlikely you'll be able to bring about changes that would cost Cryptic potential revenue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
At present, subscribers have "lost" the ability to respec through purely In-Game means.
For your information, since Cryptic views the C-Store as an integral part of the game and since they alone determine the direction the game follows, it's not a case of your word versus theirs, they get to define things for you, and not the other way around. There isn't even a discussion here and as I've always said, the only way to vote is with your wallet. Either continue to support them or don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexraptor View Post
FYI: EULA/TOS has absolutely nothing to do with what is morally and ethically right or wrong. They made certain assurances which they have yet to fulfill.
While I mean no disrespect in the following statement, to you or the Business world and Legal professionals, Wrong and Right have little effect in the Business world... or the Legal profession for that matter.

Your crusade for freespecs for Subscribers isn't something that will benefit Cryptic and is quite different than the one instance where fans were able to force Cryptics' hand. I truly doubt you'll prevail here.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:52 AM.