Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1011
02-07-2012, 06:29 AM
I guess Cryptic knows the power of the dark side: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/20/ne...h-lord-honest/
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1012
02-07-2012, 06:50 AM
Time for innovations is long gone. The only things that developers of any new MMO will do now is repeat other games' "successes". The stone of "good" MMO features have been laid down by first few MMOs with WoW creating a 'template' for almost every type of MMO game content and everyone is just copying something that has already been done.

Game developers won't be risking their budget and going with some PvP, PvE "innovations" and then lose the playerbase over it. Especially in today's very tight market where you pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in losses for every mistake. There were quite a few games that proved on their sad examples of games being discontinued that innovations are not always a road to success.

So, forget about innovations. Every game will have grind in PvE and every game will have token grind in PvP to get PvP armor. basically whenever you start to play new MMO either its focused on story pillar (SWTOR) or Star Trek lore it will always be pretty much the same but just a different theme-park wrapping. Some games will be more sand-box like while others less.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1013
02-07-2012, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
Loot drops exclusive for the other faction? Now I have to admit, it's pretty stupid to get drops for schematics to make items for the other faction yet you can't even mail them to your alt in that faction. On Republic side I have gotten about 10 schematics for making Imperial only items and same with my Imp getting a dozen Republic only schematics. Talk about worthless drops.

I had to help their side out once because they can't even bring something new to the table.

Armsman's arguments are just clones. lol
Doesn't it kind of make sense that if you kill the enemy, you find things on the enemy that only the enemy might use? In fact finding stuff that was faction specific to your side should be very rare and stuff that you couldn't use would be the norm. Thankfully games get that logic wrong. In the big numbers game of loot drops you end up with way more things you can use as opposed to the stuff you can't. Even with all the things you can use few of them will be used and most you just vendor.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1014
02-07-2012, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnBludd View Post
Doesn't it kind of make sense that if you kill the enemy, you find things on the enemy that only the enemy might use? In fact finding stuff that was faction specific to your side should be very rare and stuff that you couldn't use would be the norm. Thankfully games get that logic wrong. In the big numbers game of loot drops you end up with way more things you can use as opposed to the stuff you can't. Even with all the things you can use few of them will be used and most you just vendor.
The finding things sort of makes sense. It does except in that game I'm always in a group that loots a force user and gets items for non-force users and there's always that one guy who makes a joke about it in chat. And more times than not, I am that guy.

I'd have less issue if I could at least mail it to an alt on the other side though. I just found out the GTN on Nar Shadaa in a cross faction GTN but I want to give it to my guys not let someone else have it. It's mine, mine, all mine. lol
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1015
02-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Are you referring to the 1.7 million subs?
Which is about twice the number of paying subs STO had at it's very peak.
Actually, I'd say it's probably 4 times the amoput of subs/first 30 days players STO had at it's peak in 2009.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1016
02-07-2012, 12:10 PM
"Loot drops exclusive for the other faction? Now I have to admit, it's pretty stupid to get drops for schematics to make items for the other faction yet you can't even mail them to your alt in that faction. On Republic side I have gotten about 10 schematics for making Imperial only items and same with my Imp getting a dozen Republic only schematics. Talk about worthless drops."

Well there is a Galactic Market, on Tatooine i belive, where you can sell items to the other faction so that may be why you get drops like you stated. There is room for all opinions and MMOs. Sto has space combat unequaled and SWTOR has a story arc that immerses you into the character in a way no other MMO has done to date.

Just my 2 cp
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1017
02-07-2012, 12:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
Still not letting go are you man.

You once again lose all credit when you call TOR a WoW clone. It's one of the most silly things a TOR hater can level at it. I take it WoW is just an EQ clone? Shesh man.

As others have mentioned, TOR has taken elements from other MMos which includes WoW as well as it's single player games and made it's own MMo.

Your making yourself look very silly m8. First it was the game isn't meeting expectations, then Bam 1.7 mil. Then it was not as innovative as STO and you still haven't backed that one up (at least Darren tried). Now it's just a WoW clone, making it sound like WoW was the first MMo and TOR copied it and just added story.

What gem have you got next?
I love how I'm a 'SWToR Hater' for expressing my honest views and echoing what many reviewers and other players (who like me, are still subbing, playing and enjoying SWToR.)

As for my claim of SWToR not meeting expectations, that IS what was being reported. I even stated that if that wasn't the case, I and others were asking WHY EA/BioWare hadn't done a press release showing big subscription numbers like the press release at launch, and about a day later THEY DIS; and I acknowledged that fact as well.

I also never stated WoW was the first MMO, (it was actually the eighth or ninth MMO even released); BUT, it's indeed the most successful, and SWToR at 1.7 million subs has only done 20% of overall subscription business to date, compared to WoW. That doesn't change the fact that to a lot of people it's underlyimng mechanics copy WoW to a great degree; and many players who do enjoy SWToR see, and acknowledge that aspect of the game as it currently exists.

It's completely understandable why Lucas Arts wanted a WoW cllone; as they figure if that type of MMO model is suuccessful; wrap it in a Star Wars skin and it'll rival WoW one day (and that's EXACTLY what EA and Lucas Arts are thinking and working towards - and it may come to pass or may not.)

Again, my main dissapointment with SWToR is the absolutely terrible rail shooter space combat system. I find it amazing that with all the time and money they had, they first didn't even have a space systm planned; and once the fans got wind of that and complained, they took a year and tacked on the SWToR space combat system we have in SWToR today. I'm also dissapointed they didn't feel a customizable UI was a equirement for launch; but the UI they have is servicable, and a customizable UI will come.

But again, just becaiuse I disagree with some of EA/ BioWare's design decisions; or call things as I see them, it doesn't make me an 'SWToR Hater' as if I really hated the game, I wouldn't be paying $14.00 a month (3 month sub option) and playing the game myself.

I am dissapiointed that with all these resources BioWare didn't really even attempt any innovation (WoW actually did take a lot of existing EQ mechanics and improved on them. I don't see that at all with what SWToR took from WoW - they simply took it, and effectively re-skinned it.) Again, that's not at all a bad thing in itself - but I'm not going to pat anyone on the back or call them innovative when they really haven't innovated anything from what they barrowed from.

Like I said, I call things as I see them for any MMO I play.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1018
02-07-2012, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
I guess Cryptic knows the power of the dark side: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/12/20/ne...h-lord-honest/
I made mine a power ranger.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1019
02-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Actually, I'd say it's probably 4 times the amoput of subs/first 30 days players STO had at it's peak in 2009.
Wow. 4? I thought the estimate at peak was around 800,000. I thought I heard that in passing. But since you are saying it, Arms, I have to believe you.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1020
02-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post

Again, my main dissapointment with SWToR is the absolutely terrible rail shooter space combat system. I find it amazing that with all the time and money they had, they first didn't even have a space systm planned; and once the fans got wind of that and complained, they took a year and tacked on the SWToR space combat system we have in SWToR today. I'm also dissapointed they didn't feel a customizable UI was a equirement for launch; but the UI they have is servicable, and a customizable UI will come.


Like I said, I call things as I see them for any MMO I play.
Arms, nobody here is saying the space part of TOR is great (very few would call it good although I would call it good because it serves a purpose I will say later and I bet you won't be able to call me wrong on it lol ) . The UI is another WTF in the game as it currently is. But those are two things they said they will address. And with MMOs players generally give them time to address things after launch. Some 6 months some will give a year. I'm sort of a in-between with most as I give them about 9 months on average but it depends on the game and if I at least see progress.

Which brings me to the game you seem to defend with the same kind of tenacity that a mother lion would defend her cub known as STO. I couldn't last because it was during the content drought that is about to hit the anniversary date.

Now my challenge about TOR space travel: I said it's good because it serves a purpose so I go and do it every day. Doing the space dailies I make some good money to help pay for my mounts. And when you are that one bar away from dinging, space dailies can knock that out pretty fast. lol
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:36 PM.