Lt. Commander
# 111
12-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_heretic View Post
The overall point is, for a science fiction fan looking to spend their gaming dollar, Star Wars: The Old Republic is far and away the more immersive and complete experience as opposed to STO in its current form.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I liked aspects of TOR, but after three years of development, I was expecting to be more impressed. Really the only impressive thing to me is the quality (and amount) of the voice acting and the tight storylines. Other than that, everything else is pretty generic.

And the sheer amount of running back and forth over the same ground got really old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerubian_Assasin1
Well said, its sad that cryptic has had way more 'release time' (for lack of better words) in this game than SWTOR, yet SWTOR looks way more promising.
Actually, it is about the same if you think about it:

Cryptic: One year development, two years live
Bioware: Three years of development, none live yet

Makes you wonder what STO could have been with two more years on the shelf before being launched.
Lt. Commander
# 112
12-04-2011, 08:44 PM
I really enjoyed SWTOR during these past few weekends.

That said, there are a number of issues:
  • Lots of texture popping
  • Bugged lipsyncing
  • Clunky/dry combat (at least as a bounty hunter).
  • Lackluster Companion Mission Variety/Rewards

The good:
  • Morality system (with loot)
  • Social Rewards for teaming
  • Well-designed story
  • Best dungeon content in MMOs
Lt. Commander
# 113
12-04-2011, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I liked aspects of TOR, but after three years of development, I was expecting to be more impressed. Really the only impressive thing to me is the quality (and amount) of the voice acting and the tight storylines. Other than that, everything else is pretty generic.

And the sheer amount of running back and forth over the same ground got really old.

Actually, it is about the same if you think about it:

Cryptic: One year development, two years live
Bioware: Three years of development, none live yet

Makes you wonder what STO could have been with two more years on the shelf before being launched.
Well there is 'sprint' and quick travel to help save from all the un-necessary ground bit, but so far in my beta-testing exp. i can see this game is going to be a hit or atleast take off better than STO
Lt. Commander
# 114
12-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Just out of curiosity - is the land speeder I saw in a gameplay video at MMORPG.com the fast travel option or is that a "mount"?
Lt. Commander
# 115
12-04-2011, 09:48 PM
I played in a Beta Test weekend, 11/25, and while I only got to play for 2 days I played as much as I could during that time. So I can see my self playing TOR a lot in the foreseeable future, at least until I have played all the classes. Then I expect I will end up in a situation similar to the one I am in with STO, playing only when there is some new content or to play with my fleet.
Lt. Commander
# 116
12-04-2011, 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
Just out of curiosity - is the land speeder I saw in a gameplay video at MMORPG.com the fast travel option or is that a "mount"?
Hey, Varlo buddy! You can get a STAP (a little mini flyer) in the digital deluxe or collector's edition, or you get speeders further on in character advancement (like the level 20's or 30's) or sooner if you're specced into the cybertech crew skill.
Lt. Commander
# 117
12-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_heretic View Post
Hey, Varlo buddy! You can get a STAP (a little mini flyer) in the digital deluxe or collector's edition, or you get speeders further on in character advancement (like the level 20's or 30's) or sooner if you're specced into the cybertech crew skill.
I can see me ending up getting a big bag of [best edit that out] and a collector's edition, no matter how much I want to resist both! lol
Lt. Commander
# 118
12-05-2011, 12:52 AM
All game releases since WOW have been compared to WOW, nothing new there. Even Start Trek is like WOW with nothing more than go there and kill that, broken story lines and such(Klingon/COOP/WAR).

I expected much more from STAR TREK when I joined in Beta, I foolishly expected a grand all encompassing space detail which would let me set course for "the second start on the right" and see where it took me.

But the one thing that Star Trek online is missing is true exploration, not to mention mission choices that provide options besides just killing everything.

And while space is ok, and thats a just barely ok, from a flight sim background it is pathetically limited.

With that said this is a STAR TREK ONLINE FORUM, yes its ten forward but this is not the place to discuss Star Wars The Old Republic, No matter how superior one might believe the latter is to the former.
Lt. Commander
# 119
12-05-2011, 01:06 AM
I played both "semi-open" beta weekends. I got two SIth characters up to the high teens, and a Trooper up to low teens (only spent ~hour or so with a jedi).

My impression was its a much more flushed out game than STO with an obviously larger budget.

The things that actually caught my attention: Full voice over for missions of course, VERY good musical score and sound effects, also rather good visual effects for skills and such.

The things that annoyed me:
Almost no detailed character customization, annoying UI, no ship customization, total garbage space combat (lucasarts rail shooter from the mid 90's), too much running around (STO spoiled me there)

It was better than I expected honestly. The storylines are what make the game great, as did the voice acting. It really reminded me of Mass Effect but as an MMO.

HOWEVER I discovered a huge issue once you leave the "newbie" zones... About 90% of the quests once you leave the first zone are the same as they are for ALL the sith or all the jedi (basically only two quest trees, but with a hand full of specific-class quests thrown in).

That means there isn't content for 8 separate storylines, but just a little storyline content for the 8 mixed into the main storylines for the two main factions... That saddened me after playing 4 different charecters through the entry zone, which was almost completely unique for each class.

So, while the game is really good, I discovered that the content was going to run out REALLY quick. I was already starting to spacebar through quests I already completed with another character and blow through the chat menus. I don't see this game having more than 1-2 months worth of content, and the actual gameplay itself wasn't good enough on its own to make it worth while.

In terms of STO vs. SWTOR, I honestly don't think these two games have much in common. STO is space heavy and the unique part of the game while SWTOR is all ground (ignore the space content, its not worth mentioning really). SWTOR is traditional with new and improved story telling, while STO has the unique gameplay aspect to it.

I could easily see playing both, but I'd rather spend my money on a game with good storytelling like Mass Effect 3 or Skyrim than spend an insane amount of money on generic MMO with the same kind of storytelling aspect to it.
Lt. Commander
# 120
12-05-2011, 01:20 AM
I haven't played TOR at all - I've certainly heard about it, read about it and seen videos.

I'm an STO Lifer but I've just ordered TOR.

The best description I've heard is "If you loved KOTOR 1, then you'll love this".

In truth, I absolutely loved KOTOR 1 and 2, so thats why I'm looking at TOR

If it doesn't live up to my personal expectations, then no loss - just put it down for a few months and come back to it, same with STO.

I'm fortunate in that I have that option - but what I do not have, is the time to play 2 MMOs.

I grew up with Star Trek AND Star Wars, so I have equal respect for both. One isn't necessarily 'better' than another - they're just different - same as STO and TOR I'm guessing.

Am looking forward to finding out though