Lt. Commander
# 121
12-05-2011, 01:41 AM
Got jammy enough to get into 2 previous beta weekends. The game was like a smack in the face and knocked my STO tinted classes off, and to behonest it's exactly what i needed, i'd forgoten how much i love Star Trek as an IP, music, atmosphere, characters and i realised STO hasn't got any of the IP that i crave.

Gameplay suprised me the most though, i went into TOR expecting it be pretty standard stuff compared to STO, but i loved it, took me a while to sort xpadder and bindings out, but once done i was blown away by how different the classes were. Agent in particular was fun, reminded me of mass effect, very clever use of cover, a bit like we see in many episodes and movies of Trek.

As far space combat goes it's an arcade blaster(i love), but so is STO to me only with cooldown timers(not complaining love STO space combat). But TOR has got more Star Wars attached to that arcade blaster than STO has Trek, so it gets my sub.
Lt. Commander
# 122
12-05-2011, 02:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GEN-Alaris
Well, I can honestly say I'll be sticking to STO. Now before you call me presumptuous, let me explain.

I participated in the most recent Beta Testing Weekend, and it was rather terrible. Yes, it is a Beta, but it is a late Beta, and should be more polished.

Getting past all the bugs, and unpolished feel of the game, I have another problem with it. It is World of ********, with a different skin. No, I'm not joking. I used to play World of ********, and ToR screams of being a WoW clone SO MUCH. It feels like I'm playing World of ********, but with Lightsabers.

Now you might say, "But World of ******** was successful, why not copy its success?"

Well, that's the problem. I've PLAYED World of ********. I don't need to play it a second time. And I think that many of those folks who think they'll be leaving World of ******** for NEW AND EXCITING ADVENTURES in the OLD REPUBLIC are sadly mistaken. They'll find that it feels just like WoW. In the first several hours of the game, I had already done 10+ "Go here, kill these, come back" missions.

It's just... boring to me. Now... STO has had a content drought for a year+ now, but I am holding out some hope that it will recover from this in February, with the new Featured Episodes, and hopefully some Klingon Content, because I sure as hell don't plan on going to ToR, or God forbid, back to WoW.

As an mmo, TOR will not hold my breath for long. But It will do as a bit of a star wars themed fix.
Lt. Commander
# 123
12-05-2011, 02:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostamojen View Post

My impression was its a much more flushed out game than STO with an obviously larger budget.

Sorry I had to...
Lt. Commander
# 124
12-05-2011, 02:44 AM
We're not supposed to have chainsaws for testi..... uh oh.....

For me, i Love me some Trek, but i also love the star wars, but as far as games go, it was TOO Generic. Take out the lightsabers, and change the words Jedi, sith, and force, and it could be ANY other Game out there. There was no Innovation, and from the look of it i doubt they really cared. They sacrificed way too much in the name of Story, which in some cases, was just not that great. and seeing how they're less than a month away, there are still way too many bugs for a game that's been in development this long.

To make matters worse, a lot of what i read on the forums that the fans want, the devs ignore. "no, you can't choose how you holda lightsaber because of story" "no you can't use that any iconic Species because it's wierd to see them get romantic" "no, you can't have customization because it's not how we want you to play" The customization and character creation is in fact so bad and bland that they refuse to even talk about it either on the forums, the site, or at the live events.

they don't care about the property, they don't care about the fans. Just like with Lucas, star wars has become nothing more than a way to make a quick buck, and TOR is a perfect example. It's too late to cancel my digital edition, so i'll play my free month on the one story line i DID like, and after that, maybe i'll just wait for the patches and updates.
Lt. Commander
# 125
12-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Just an FYI guys, if you want to play around with the skill trees ahead of time and plan builds they have some nice TOR community sites popping up. I used www.darthhater.com and planned my whole trooper build.

I'm glad I can learn the skill trees because they're a bit more intricate than these.
Lt. Commander
# 126
12-06-2011, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_heretic View Post
Just an FYI guys, if you want to play around with the skill trees ahead of time and plan builds they have some nice TOR community sites popping up. I used www.darthhater.com and planned my whole trooper build.

I'm glad I can learn the skill trees because they're a bit more intricate than these.
Nice resource.
Lt. Commander
# 127
12-08-2011, 08:58 PM
FYI, apparently the official early access is now early early access, and it starts on December 13th. Great news, especially for the people who preordered early.
Lt. Commander
# 128
12-09-2011, 10:49 PM
You know it is really funny how people are saying how ToR looks too generic and looks like WoW with lightsabers and oh I almost forgot the one who said " take away from the lightsabers and what do you have..." Lol IT IS STAR WARS PEOPLE! What do you expect a Sith, Jedi or even a Bounty Hunter to have? Hmm maybe we should just give Sith and Jedis some good old warrhamers and Bounty Hunter some phasers. I mean really? That game is base off Star Wars so for you to come and even begin to say that you find it kind of sad because of those is moronic. And lets not even talk about the graphics, I run a high end computer yet i do not think in such a selfish way. I understand 100% why bioware didn't give all the high end graphics and details in game like *** or even like this game. Because first of all if you add the background plus actions of NPC and the graphic model plus the whole full VO then you have tons of information that will not play on people who are using low end graphic cards can deal with. People learn to get over yourselves Bioware did that for a reason and a good reason in that respect. Lastly lets talk about those who think that this game has problems within it. I will just ask you one question: Do you know ANY MMO that didn't hell the game is not even out just yet and people are bashing the crap out of it because of these minor details. It is so funny how many will not just play the betas for what they are and that is for testing and not for bashing the game but giving information back to the company. Don't pass your opinions on the game give it a chance to grow and I am sure the game will be great for what it is a great Star Wars MMO
Lt. Commander
# 129 Luff Eet
12-10-2011, 12:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_heretic View Post
Quick question, did anyone try out a ranged sort of tank or DPS build? I would think ranged characters have a slight advantage in combat as opposed to saber/Force wielders. I was curious since I was planning on a trooper with my first character.
Heretic, it's funny. I was playing through some of the other character builds, I had a Smuggler-Gunslinger that I loved, and stopped playing because I was about level 16 and didn't want to ruin any more of the story.

So I started an Imperial Agent, and quickly realized that that might be one of the best characters in the game. So I stopped that one too.

I figured Trooper would be the one I would like the least in the final game, so I picked that one, and boy was I wrong.

I LOVED my Trooper. I specialized as a Commando and just loved every minute of it. Especially once the companion jumps in, and I had both of us with our heavy assault cannons shooting up the place.

Will definitely be rolling a Trooper when the game launches. I'm wondering which server I'll wind up on. I started out with Whitebeam Run and switched to Darth Malak in the second weekend when Whitebeam was offline.

Best things about TOR to me are:

1) The IP content is very well done. All the favorites are here from the weapons, the armors, characters, ships, environments.

2) The planet areas are large and expansive and look like they'll be a lot of fun to explore. The various taxis really give you a grand feel for the environments.

3) Seamless gameplay, with the effortless switching from game mode to fully-voiced cutscenes. I loved how the voiceovers affected the gameplay. The immersion factor was incredible.

4) Soundtrack is awesome and only helps the immersion.

5) Hell I even liked the ships and the space component. I got up to my X-5 Freighter with my Smuggler, and got up to the BT-7 fighter for my Trooper. Loved them both, and my annoying little droids. Even the space combat is acceptable. No, it isn't full control like STO is, but I like the variance in game play. Space combat in STO is a good deal the same as ground combat in TOR. Tab-select, spam some keys to fire weapons. But the space games allow you to do some fast targeting work that I find missing from STO, even in the Peregrine fighter or the shuttles.

6) The pure variety of characters. Every class has its own storyline built for it. And although each class shares its starting planet with another class, the quests are varied to the point where it does seem like you're playing a different story, rather than the same story missions with a different toon. In addition, when you add the differences of Advanced Classes, which further bifurcate each class into two sub-classes, now you're talking 16 different stories and game play modes. Add to that the fact that simply rolling the same character type, but choosing the other gender means you'll have ENTIRELY new voiceover content, and now you're up to like 32 separate and interesting ways through the game. And now compound that with the Light/Dark Force angle and you can possibly have 64 significantly varied game experiences all from one game and one set of 8 classes. Remarkably done, and arguably one of its strongest assets as a game.

Biggest drawback I could see was really the character creator, but that is by no means a deal-breaker. In fact I find it incredibly ironic that the STO character creator allowed me to create an alien which looked very much like a Mon Calamari (except for my beloved fish eyes, tsk), but TOR's CC doesn't even let me get close.

I found very few bugs and they were minor... no issues with UI problems or getting stuck in missions or quests.

I've got my Lifetime sub here in STO, so I'll always be around.... but come a week or so, I'll be shifting headquarters to a galaxy far, far away for a while.
Lt. Commander
# 130
12-10-2011, 01:27 AM
I have a life time account so I may return to this game when it gets some actual content in instead of fluff. I got to play beta the past weekends. After which the only thing really sto does better is character customs and space combat other than that...So that said come the 13ththis game will be collecting nothing but dust on my table for the time being.