Lt. Commander
# 1331
03-24-2012, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
Can you link me a Youtube vid of flying in circles to go up and down in Star Trek?
Well, from what the show offers to learn about their space combat, it is certainly possible, but neither do they do it on the show, nor do I in STO, as far as I am currently aware of.

Quote:
How about the instant changing direction thing to cause the "circle fight" because the enemy does a 180 just to stay on your side?
Huh?

Quote:
Oh and how about scanners having a range of only 6 km?
I suspect you are misreading "km" as "KiloMeters" and not "KiloMegameters"? :p
Lt. Commander
# 1332
03-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
Even the battles themselves are not like this game. So it's okay to blast one company for not "capturing the space combat" but not the other? Flying in circles... enemies changing courses (in space) just to match the USS Enterprise course direction instantly to stay on your side so torpedoes are a waste... having to be within 6 km to scan something yet in Trek they talk about scanning things hundreds of km away... etc

If you do it one way with the space shortcomings then it can go both ways.

As for the two. Nope. Most of DM was on board the ship with Decker taking control and his need for vengeance against it. Basically it was a rehash of Moby ****. Wrath was not as well. Or did I imagine the majority of the film not being space battle.
Look I haven't played SWtOR. In fact I was, and I still am, active in the Bioware community so I was invited to join the Beta and, for a variety of reasons, politely declined. But the criticism I'm hearing from most of my friends about the space combat isn't that they failed to capture the spirit of the movies, it's more that they didn't even try.

I totally disagree with your assessment of Doomsday and Wrath. Of course they didn't just show ships rolling around in space. Of course they took us inside the ships as the battles waxed and waned. That's where the drama is after all, and a movie is not a game. But they did represent space battles for pretty much the entire episode, and STO has, IMHO, done a pretty good job in coming up with a combat mechanic consistent with Trek lore. If I had a couple of weeks to play around with the foundry I could easily create a very consistent mission duplicating either Doomsday or Wrath. The only elements I can think of that can't be reproduced are blowing up the Doomsday Machine with the Constellation and creating a Nebula map where shields and scanners don't work. The engine is capable of doing these things, but the foundry isn't. Cryptic limits foundry tools by not letting us script anything, but they could duplicate either episode almost exactly.
Lt. Commander
# 1333
03-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Making all our ships incredibly off-scale! :p
Lt. Commander
# 1334
03-24-2012, 04:51 PM
It's a tactical view anyway. Hence the sound effects - they are a way to transmit information.
Lt. Commander
# 1335
03-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddam
so thats why my alt acount got banned from here for asking ppl if they where going to play in the swtor beta?
If that's all you did and got banned then you should dispute that. Although that won't do any good as STO mods all cover up for each other. But that's not a ban worthy offense as it breaks no rule.
Lt. Commander
# 1336
03-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey
Look I haven't played SWtOR. In fact I was, and I still am, active in the Bioware community so I was invited to join the Beta and, for a variety of reasons, politely declined. But the criticism I'm hearing from most of my friends about the space combat isn't that they failed to capture the spirit of the movies, it's more that they didn't even try.

I totally disagree with your assessment of Doomsday and Wrath. Of course they didn't just show ships rolling around in space. Of course they took us inside the ships as the battles waxed and waned. That's where the drama is after all, and a movie is not a game. But they did represent space battles for pretty much the entire episode, and STO has, IMHO, done a pretty good job in coming up with a combat mechanic consistent with Trek lore. If I had a couple of weeks to play around with the foundry I could easily create a very consistent mission duplicating either Doomsday or Wrath. The only elements I can think of that can't be reproduced are blowing up the Doomsday Machine with the Constellation and creating a Nebula map where shields and scanners don't work. The engine is capable of doing these things, but the foundry isn't. Cryptic limits foundry tools by not letting us script anything, but they could duplicate either episode almost exactly.

Flying in circles, scanners having a 6 km limit (although many eps spoke of scanning a lot further away than that), combat flying in circles because the enemy instantly changes direction to match you to stay on your sides, etc. There are many flaws in this game and no fanboism can change that.
Lt. Commander
# 1337
03-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophlogimo
Well, from what the show offers to learn about their space combat, it is certainly possible, but neither do they do it on the show, nor do I in STO, as far as I am currently aware of.

Huh?

Then they need to change some stuff in the tutorial if it doesn't mean kilometers. lol
Lt. Commander
# 1338
03-24-2012, 05:56 PM
SWTOR is a fun game. I am finally enjoying a Republic storyline (Trooper; no surprise).

The morality system is really abysmal though: I've had a few options where I either had to cover up a crime or threatened to kill kids/shut down a children's hospital.
Lt. Commander
# 1339
03-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
SWTOR is a fun game. I am finally enjoying a Republic storyline (Trooper; no surprise).

The morality system is really abysmal though: I've had a few options where I either had to cover up a crime or threatened to kill kids/shut down a children's hospital.
Oh are you on Ord Mantel in the begining? The initial choices are weak...but I assure you...future choices will make you wait infront of your computer for a loooooooong time before making a choice....some choices still haunt me...believe em...you'll most likely cry from one of the future choices...
Lt. Commander
# 1340
03-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Oh are you on Ord Mantel in the begining? The initial choices are weak...but I assure you...future choices will make you wait infront of your computer for a loooooooong time before making a choice....some choices still haunt me...believe em...you'll most likely cry from one of the future choices...
Lol its not that bad.... lvl50 bounty hunter , merc. I am waiting for the 1.2

But as far as this thread, I ove sto