Lt. Commander
# 1421
04-08-2012, 06:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey
No need to be rude about it, Solomace. Personally I gotta agree with .dlp.mercenary. I mean no disrespect to SWTOR. I'm sure it's a great game. I just don't think any game is worth $180 a year.
so you didn't play this till F2P oh my how has game like eveoinline world of ******** made it all thes years
Lt. Commander
# 1422
04-08-2012, 07:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tosmonkey
No need to be rude about it, Solomace. Personally I gotta agree with .dlp.mercenary. I mean no disrespect to SWTOR. I'm sure it's a great game. I just don't think any game is worth $180 a year.
You're not going to be very active in the gaming world then, or at least the MMO branch of it.
Lt. Commander
# 1423
04-09-2012, 08:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
You're not going to be very active in the gaming world then, or at least the MMO branch of it.
You forget that there are more f2p mmo's than p2p mmo's. that and gw2
Lt. Commander
# 1424
04-09-2012, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduckie
You forget that there are more f2p mmo's than p2p mmo's. that and gw2
all F2P mmos are F2P for a reason just like this one
Lt. Commander
# 1425
04-09-2012, 09:49 AM
Hey all,

Let me preface this by saying I am a fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars.
This weekend, I had the oppurtunity to play SW:TOR for the free weekend.
I went in a complete NOOB, with a systemm under the minimum specs (and really worked my graphics card).

For all the hype that SW:TOR was to be the next big blockbuster, comparing it to STO, I applaud Cryptic and enjoy STO more than I did SW:TOR. 25 gigs for SW:TOR and 11 gigs for ST:O.

Character Creation in SW:TOR was lacking. There is more customizaion options available in ST:O for avatars than in SW:TOR. I created a Jedi Knight.

The Prologe (SW:TOR to Tutoiral (STO).
Entry into the games jumps you right into the storyline, with only instructions to move using WASD. No intial quest to get started and explain what to do. STO engages you right from the start, explaining what to do and how to do it.

Leveling.
Leveling in SW:TOR was just a grind fest. I became bored soo many times, by getting quest from point A, running to point C, kill mobs. Return to Point A, to be redirected to Point B. STO engaged me with different aspects of the game right from the start. Each mission / quest in ST:O engages right from the start and can finish in an hour. In SW: TOR it took me an hour just to run across the lands to start the mission location, than kill 40 mobs, complete the quest and run back to turn it in.

Quest Givers / Missions:
Ok, I know my system could not run this. So part of the issues is on myside, I understand this. With this said, I hated the cutscenes to get to the quest dialog. It would take almost 5 minutes for the mission giver to load the movie so I could get the quest. Repeat this 40 times, and I wasted hours just to get the quests.

Companions:
I have to give a win to ST:O for giving us a companion right at the start and explaing how to work with Bridge Officers. When I got my droid (and later on for training) I was at a loss. How can I upgrade his gear, where can I get gear, how do I train skills. I learned the answer to this later (which was even more confusing with the crafting skill system).

Land vs Space
What a dissapointment. If I wanted to play fantasy, I would be in EQ, WOW (half a dozen other titles). I enjoy Sci-Fi, so where is the space explortation and combat. In SW:TOR you don't get this until higher levels (I did not reach the level to gain my first ship). ST:O gives you command of a Miranda right away. We get both.

Visuals:
SW:TOR is a really GREAT Looking game. Everything is stunning, in the details when exploring the worlds and shuttle transfer stations. My system strained. So... I think they spent more time making the game look good, instead of content.

Content:
To make up for the content they make you run far far away, and have mobs spawn and respawn. I see this as a problem if I was to get to higher levels as you are fighting others for the same mobs. ST:O gives us many private instances and replays. Then we have the foundry, so... I have to say, ST:O has so much more content.

Crafting:
I admit, I like crafting. I also like the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) rule. When I could finally get to crafting in SW:TOR I looked at it as another grind fest.

Customization:
So when I got to get out of the starting world, I started to see some of the higher level players. They ALL LOOKED ALIKE. Maybe I did not get that far to see if you could get Tailor Made clothes, I do not think so though.

My thoughts are ST:O is the more interesting and engaging game.
I have 4 toons now maxxed as a casual gamer after 2 years.
I only got as far as level 12 (Jedi Sentinel) after 2 days in SW:TOR.
Boring.

Miri
Lt. Commander
# 1426
04-09-2012, 09:56 AM
yes sto going to be 11GB it don't have a lot to do it don't have more then 3 classes so ya sto is smaller then swtor but tor has lost and lost of mission where is sto you can do all theres in a few days it took me over a month in swtor to hit lvl 50 sto I did it in 2 week

and still swtor space is only a mini game like the officer duty thing and in star trek you see way more space then you ever saw in star wars so to me makes sense for it to manly be a ground more so then in sto but Bio has said they want to do a space like star wars galaxys jump to light speed

swtor crafting grindfest lmao you send your campaign to get your mats how is that a grindfest? sound like to me again like the duty officer thing in sto
Lt. Commander
# 1427
04-09-2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriel_Shadowblood View Post
Hey all,

Let me preface this by saying I am a fan of both Star Trek and Star Wars.
This weekend, I had the oppurtunity to play SW:TOR for the free weekend.
Much of your feedback hinges on aspects of gameplay that have been tweaked since STO launched or actually created since STO launched. However, I noticed you did not follow up with your discussion of STO Crafting. You only stated that TOR crafting appeared to be a grindfest. But you hadn't gone on to say what you experienced with STO crafting.

I'm very curious. Because STO Crafting has struck out twice now, and is currently being considered for a third revamp.

Also, neither of the games is a grind. STO might level at warp factor 10. But TOR levels too fast for a standard MMORPG as is. Nothing like Everquest or City of Heroes.
Lt. Commander
# 1428
04-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddam
yes sto going to be 11GB it don't have a lot to do it don't have more then 3 classes so ya sto is smaller then swtor but tor has lost and lost of mission where is sto you can do all theres in a few days it took me over a month in swtor to hit lvl 50 sto I did it in 2 week
May I ask you this?
After you hit max in Star Wars, what was next?
In STO you can go back and replay quests/missions, you can get into queues (PVP/STF), you can complete missed oppurtunties. In Star Wars, I was disspointed that I failed the optional to defeat the mob when I created my light saber. I could not go back and try again when I geared up.
Lt. Commander
# 1429
04-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miriel_Shadowblood View Post
May I ask you this?
After you hit max in Star Wars, what was next?
In STO you can go back and replay quests/missions, you can get into queues (PVP/STF), you can complete missed oppurtunties. In Star Wars, I was disspointed that I failed the optional to defeat the mob when I created my light saber. I could not go back and try again when I geared up.
raids more then 5 men whats nex in sto after max also you do have pvp in swtor like most mmos and the failed optional side quest are that optional they not going to give you a eicp pice of gear for don them only little more XP and badges and you can get them all day killing things but more so don flashpoints witch are the equivalent of a sto STF
Lt. Commander
# 1430
04-09-2012, 12:33 PM
Just to throw in my two cents...

I'd probably pay $20/mo for SWTOR if necessary. Love the game. And when I started out as a lifer in STO, I never thought I'd say that...