Lt. Commander
# 1491
04-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Just dropped by to say that SWTOR is a nice game and all, but... oh, what the hell, here´s where it fails:

1- Bad customization - you get nowhere near the STO character creation tool, and thats about it. For the rest of the game, you´re stuck with the (i might say) awfully designed gear BW has come up with.

2- Game feels singleplayer - story and voice acting is good, but if i wanted to play KOTOR i´d just play it.

3- Dead servers - BW had to bring several servers up because of all the hype during launch. Now the hype has gone, playerbase is shrinking by the day (don´t say this ingame or in the forums or you´re a goner), and there´s pretty much just one crowded server, and that´s Fattman. The rest are wastelands, you barely see like 100 ppl in a "hub" area. Yet they claim 100 is a HUGE amount of players.

4- Bad character designs and animations - BW has tried to make a jedi to look and play (and dress) like a mage/priest. Worse animations i´ve ever seen in a SW game, well, in any game actually.

5- Horrible graphic engine - the game looks nowhere on par with games released at the same year. Well, not even games 2 or 3 years older. I have a pretty good machine ( i7, 16GB RAM, 570GTX ) and the game looks bad, and got many video slowdowns. (some of them i suspect to be due to their network programming)

Well, i could list a few more but thats it. I already unsubbed it, still have game time there, but guess what? I feel no reason to log back in. I just got back to STO and i gotta say, STO has much more quality, content, freedom, and well, its much more fun to play than SWTOR.

You´re a SW fan, and want a singleplayer experience, with twists of MMO in it? Go for SWTOR.

If MMO is your thing, you better stick with STO.
Lt. Commander
# 1492
04-12-2012, 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferwindar View Post
/Snip.
1. Single player game and dead zones have been labled at STO after 30days. Never try to pull a game down, if the game your comparing it to is just the same...

2. At least TORs got content. Remember that? It's was big in the MMo scene back in the 90s and 00 and er always.

3. What's that sound I hear? Oh yes, 1.2 and what's coming with that? Er content. And PVP maps.

Did I mention content?

*Cough* 8 different classes compared to 3 samey ones.

*Cough* 2 full factions compared to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Free Player weekends.
Sorry, I give in with you.

I have no idea what your talking about and in what context.

So what if it's giving out Free weekends? Nothing wrong with giving out samples is there? Unless your implying their getting desperate? If so, I think it's someone else that's desperate for anything to belittle a game that they say they are playing (I'm still not sure about that).

If your once again trying to trash TOR which you state you are not, but your posting history on here says differently, then at least come up with something tangible.
Lt. Commander
# 1493
04-12-2012, 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
1. Single player game and dead zones have been labled at STO after 30days. Never try to pull a game down, if the game your comparing it to is just the same...

2. At least TORs got content. Remember that? It's was big in the MMo scene back in the 90s and 00 and er always.

3. What's that sound I hear? Oh yes, 1.2 and what's coming with that? Er content. And PVP maps.

Did I mention content?

Sorry, I give in with you.

I have no idea what your talking about and in what context.

So what if it's giving out Free weekends? Nothing wrong with giving out samples is there? Unless your implying their getting desperate? If so, I think it's someone else that's desperate for anything to belittle a game that they say they are playing (I'm still not sure about that).

If your once again trying to trash TOR which you state you are not, but your posting history on here says differently, then at least come up with something tangible.
well said here here
Lt. Commander
# 1494
04-12-2012, 01:30 AM
Quote:
Just dropped by to say that SWTOR is a nice game and all, but... oh, what the hell, here´s where it fails:
In your humble opinion, to which I strongly disagree with.

Quote:
- Bad customization - you get nothing nearly the STO character creation tool, and thats about it. For the rest of the game, you´re stuck with the (i might say) awfully designed gear BW has come up with.
Character customization is Cryptic's niche. Kind of like how story is Bioware's niche. Could TOR use some work in the character customization department? Sure, does it take away from the game? Not really.

Quote:
2 - Game feels singleplayer - story and voice acting is good, but if i wanted to play KOTOR i´d just play it.
Game feels and plays like an MMO. Having actuially leveled with a friend most of the way I can honestly say that grouping up with people builds on the level of story experience you'll get as you level. If you level with one of each class, you'll witness one hell of a story.

Quote:
3 - Dead servers - BW had to bring several servers up because of all the hype during launch. Now the hype has gone, playerbase is shrinking by the day (don´t say this ingame or in the forums or you´re a goner), and there´s pretty much just one crowded server, and that´s Fattman. The rest are wastelands, you barely see like 100 ppl in a "hub" area. Yet they claim 100 is a HUGE amount of players.
Unlike WoW, TOR requires players to leave hub zones to do anything. The server population certaily isn't on the level of The Fatman on every server but during peek times I'll come across a lot of people on each of the different worlds I visit.

Quote:
4- Bad character designs and animations - BW has tried to make a jedi to look and play (and dress) like a mage/priest. Worse animations i´ve ever seen in a SW game, well, in any game actually.
I assume you're talking about the Jedi Sage / Shadow. I play as a Jedi Guardian and I can honestly say the animations are some of the best I've seen in an MMO. Certainly far superior to anything WoW or STO have to offer.

I assume we are comparing the animations to other MMOs as opposed to say The Force Unleashed series?

Quote:
5- Horrible graphic engine - the game looks nowhere on par with games released at the same year. Well, not even games 2 or 3 years older. I have a pretty good machine ( i7, 16GB RAM, 570GTX ) and the game looks bad, and got many video slowdowns. (some of them i suspect to be due to their network programming)
Which genre of games are you comparing TOR with? Other MMOs or single player games like Skyrim?

For an MMO TOR looks great, especial when set to a high quality screen resolution. The only places that I slow down on is Ilum, specifically up in the temple ruins where a good dozen or more NPCs are shooting at each other. I can't comment on pvp zones because I don't pvp. *note my machine is less powerful*

Quote:
Well, i could list a few more but thats it. I already unsubbed it, still have game time there, but guess what? I feel no reason to log back in. I just got back to STO and i gotta say, STO has much more quality, content, freedom, and well, its much more fun to play than SWTOR.
That is your personal opinion and I'll leave it that.

Quote:
You´re a SW fan, and want a singleplayer experience, with twists of MMO in it? Go for SWTOR.

Two words, Lock Boxes.
Lt. Commander
# 1495
04-12-2012, 01:36 AM
Quote:

STO has much more quality, content, freedom, and well, its much more fun to play than SWTOR.

I missed this as I was too busy laughing at the other things you wrote.

This here is why I cannot take you seriously.

The fun part is subjective, but even the harden fast CDFers wouldn't even go as far to say that STO has more quality and content then TOR. Freedom, yes STO does have that, but it has to as it's really hasn't much content, so you have to be free to take your dress up dolls out for a joyride.

Finally you then make me spill my coffee whilst laughing at the final part. "if MMo is your thing, you better stick with STO". I have never heard anyone say this.

Man, your a hoot!
Lt. Commander
# 1496
04-12-2012, 01:37 AM
Quote:

Did I mention content?

TOR ´s got content? If you´re referring to the cutscenes, VA, maybe. Otherwise, its wow in space with the SW makeup. Definitely has its merits and may appeal to some people, just not me.

1.2 is comming. Big deal. Thats BW releasing stuff that was supposed to be at launch. Simple things like customizable HUD and some maps (to add up with the lazy 3 they gave at release).

8 "different classes" ? Lets see... oh yeah, they took ONE class and made it look like TWO

You got jedi knight and jedi consular (battle nuns)
Plus smugler and trooper

Lets consider jedi knights and consulars to be 2 different classes. You got 4 republic classes. The other so called 4 "different" classes are just imperial mirrors of the republic ones.

2 "full" factions? Story wise, maybe. Ingame, openworld? You´re lucky too see a member of the oposing faction before going to Ilum when you hit cap. There are WZ, yes. MOBA games, nothing more.

You like SWTOR, go for it. It´s your money / time anyway. For me? No thanks, been there, done that, STO is way more fun to play than that.
Lt. Commander
# 1497
04-12-2012, 01:39 AM
i may visit TOR at some point, it depends if i get bored enough. didnt leave good on a good note, guild i was with really turned traitor and in on itself with all its 1337 rubbish they were spouting, didnt stick around which convieniantly ended at the end of my sub on Feb 29th. but im not surprised, they were all WoW players....

i wonder whats changed? since since i know there are more stuff coming when checking up every so often. been out of the loop for a month.
Lt. Commander
# 1498
04-12-2012, 01:42 AM
Quote:
I missed this as I was too busy laughing at the other things you wrote.

This here is why I cannot take you seriously.

The fun part is subjective, but even the harden fast CDFers wouldn't even go as far to say that STO has more quality and content then TOR. Freedom, yes STO does have that, but it has to as it's really hasn't much content, so you have to be free to take your dress up dolls out for a joyride.

Finally you then make me spill my coffee whilst laughing at the final part. "if MMo is your thing, you better stick with STO". I have never heard anyone say this.

Man, your a hoot!
a hoot now you sound like the dude from Boston Legal lol
Lt. Commander
# 1499
04-12-2012, 01:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Excalibur View Post
In your humble opinion, to which I strongly disagree with.

Character customization is Cryptic's niche. Kind of like how story is Bioware's niche. Could TOR use some work in the character customization department? Sure, does it take away from the game? Not really.

Game feels and plays like an MMO. Having actuially leveled with a friend most of the way I can honestly say that grouping up with people builds on the level of story experience you'll get as you level. If you level with one of each class, you'll witness one hell of a story.

At the end of your post you say you don´t PvP. Why is that? Because people seek different things in a game. You liked TOR, but you´re not into PvP. You like to play with your friends, and thats fine. But it´s not what an MMO is about. Playing an MMO mainly because of the character story definitely strays too far from the MMO concept. Go read the forums and you´ll have an idea of how many people have left (and still are) because they feel like playing KOTOR all over again.

You clearly don´t know the difference between an MMO and a co-op game.

Unlike WoW, TOR requires players to leave hub zones to do anything. The server population certaily isn't on the level of The Fatman on every server but during peek times I'll come across a lot of people on each of the different worlds I visit.

Oh yeah? right when you hit 10, they pul you in a space station with a gazillion INSTANCES to choose from, with a wide level range to pick. Oh and how many people do you come across during peak hour? Even on Fattman.

I assume you're talking about the Jedi Sage / Shadow. I play as a Jedi Guardian and I can honestly say the animations are some of the best I've seen in an MMO. Certainly far superior to anything WoW or STO have to offer.

Well, if you like to hold your lightsaber like a baseball bat, be my guest.

I assume we are comparing the animations to other MMOs as opposed to say The Force Unleashed series?

Which genre of games are you comparing TOR with? Other MMOs or single player games like Skyrim?

For an MMO TOR looks great, especial when set to a high quality screen resolution. The only places that I slow down on is Ilum, specifically up in the temple ruins where a good dozen or more NPCs are shooting at each other. I can't comment on pvp zones because I don't pvp. *note my machine is less powerful*

Wouldn´t be fair to compare TOR with SWTFU series, or any single player game for that matter. They are oranges and apples. But pick something like DCUO. If you honestly think TOR being anything close to those graphics, then we have nothing more so say to eachother.

That is your personal opinion and I'll leave it that.

Two words, Lock Boxes.
In short, like i said: u like it? Go for it.
Lt. Commander
# 1500
04-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Quote:
TOR ´s got content? If you´re referring to the cutscenes, VA, maybe. Otherwise, its wow in space with the SW makeup. Definitely has its merits and may appeal to some people, just not me.

1.2 is comming. Big deal. Thats BW releasing stuff that was supposed to be at launch. Simple things like customizable HUD and some maps (to add up with the lazy 3 they gave at release).

8 "different classes" ? Lets see... oh yeah, they took ONE class and made it look like TWO

You got jedi knight and jedi consular (battle nuns)
Plus smugler and trooper

Lets consider jedi knights and consulars to be 2 different classes. You got 4 republic classes. The other so called 4 "different" classes are just imperial mirrors of the republic ones.

2 "full" factions? Story wise, maybe. Ingame, openworld? You´re lucky too see a member of the oposing faction before going to Ilum when you hit cap. There are WZ, yes. MOBA games, nothing more.

You like SWTOR, go for it. It´s your money / time anyway. For me? No thanks, been there, done that, STO is way more fun to play than that.
/Sigh. Another who calls it a WoW clone. Why not EQ? Or EQ2 Or **** etc. Change the record.

So your saying that TOR only has 4 classes really? Okay, it still 3 times more classes then STO which has one in that case no? Eng/Sci/Tac are really just the same?

Don't know what server you played on, but mine was always heavy and always has been. I am constantly fighting in the other side in open world. I admit that TOR opened up way too many servers and bowed to the pressure of people waiting hours to get in. Now they have tons of light servers as many "smart" people just created new toons on heavy ones.

I would have no problem with server merges or free character transfer even now, as most TOR people would find that benefits them. From the outside world and especially the CDF force on here, it would be spun as failing, hence why they won't do it.

Finally, I get it, you don't like TOR. That's fine and it's your opinion, but please don't try and spin it in such a way to justify why you don't like it as your starting to sound silly.

If you said it had no space combat and STO's was better. Yep I understand that.

If you said you hate the SW IP. Yep I can understand that.

If you said it was just another EQ clone and your sick of playing EQ. Yep I can understand that.

In the end, why not except that TOR isn't for you and that STO is? 1.7 mil people may disagree with you, but the "niche" lot that play STO will.