Lt. Commander
# 1771
06-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
And then this.

Quote:
"We're going to be in the business from a long term standpoint so absolutely we're going to embrace free access, free trial, ultimately some day we can move in and embrace that model. It's all a matter of timing and thinking things through. We have a great business right now and we're not looking to make any abrupt changes. We made some good announcements in terms of giving you the first few levels free, because our telemetry told us that if we can get you to around level 8 or 9, you stick with us for the long term. So really the strategy right now is about opening up the funnel at the top so we can acquire more customers who are interested in Star Wars who perhaps aren't ready to pay the full price," Gibeau continued.
Lt. Commander
# 1772
06-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Yeah, some people would be inticed to subscribe when they get involved with the character's storylines, but it's a band aid on the overall problem. They literally lost 90% of the population over these few months and just this weekend just consolidated people on empty servers to more populated servers.

One of the destination servers is one I been playing on and there has been a bit of a morale boost, but nothing really changed. Nobody wants to group and do missions, PvP, Flashpoints, or Heroics. And the way Bioware does things, reminds me awfully like what Cryptic has done with STO. Playing the same Endgame content over and over til something is fixed, no real balancing with PvP, and hype with new seasons with little real new replayable content.

So my overall prediction is that if they don't go F2P by the end of the year, they likely will be pulling the plug.

So even if they redo their Space Combat and redo their PvP, I think it's too late. But if Cryptic has been keeping tabs, if they get the jump on Bioware and fix STO's flaws, they could benefit by taking some of TOR's players (who love space combat). The rest, a ton are heading to Guild Wars 2 and other new games that been recently announced.
Lt. Commander
# 1773
06-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
So my overall prediction is that if they don't go F2P by the end of the year, they likely will be pulling the plug.
Wow, is it really that bad? So its really likely to be the biggest flop in MMO history?

I have a pre-order (Amazon to Australia) and got bored after 30 days. It just feels very repetitive, and after moving to yet another World to start the pew-pew again. Crap stylised graphics, annoying voice overs, and wishy-washy story. I didn't feel like I was developing a character, but playing a single player console game adapted for the PC. Space combat was flashy, but rails suck.
Lt. Commander
# 1774
06-17-2012, 11:24 PM
the ones heading to guild wars 2 dont they know its gonna be the same thing. all mmo's these day follow the same concept . its gonna be good at luanch but die off bc pple are maxing too fast and left with nothing to do and cry no end game content. and after a few month they will move on to the next latest mmo to complete the cylce and so on
Lt. Commander
# 1775
06-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
It seems the article has been removed

Oh well, see this one:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/06...-old-republic/
Someone did a decently readable scan of the removed article:

Scan of Page 1 (link)

Scan of Page 2 (link)
Banned
# 1776
06-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Starfleet Veteran
# 1777
06-21-2012, 07:22 PM
Should have left this thread buried ...
Federation Bushrangers
Federation & Imperial Bushrangers
Looking for an Australian/New Zealand fleet?
www.bushrangers.net
Banned
# 1778
06-25-2012, 08:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
Wow, is it really that bad? So its really likely to be the biggest flop in MMO history?

I have a pre-order (Amazon to Australia) and got bored after 30 days. It just feels very repetitive, and after moving to yet another World to start the pew-pew again. Crap stylised graphics, annoying voice overs, and wishy-washy story. I didn't feel like I was developing a character, but playing a single player console game adapted for the PC. Space combat was flashy, but rails suck.
No, TOR is actually very good compared to certain areas in MMO's. Most of the "OMG we're f##$(! " comments are the trolls who have made a large stronghold on their forums. TOR is doing better sinse transfers (aside from new bugs). TOR is doing a LIMITED F2P up to level 15 in July.

Also ligit word on revamping space has been given out. Space will be proper at one point in the future. Things are looking good for that game.
Commander
# 1779
07-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archived Post View Post
the ones heading to guild wars 2 dont they know its gonna be the same thing. all mmo's these day follow the same concept . its gonna be good at luanch but die off bc pple are maxing too fast and left with nothing to do and cry no end game content. and after a few month they will move on to the next latest mmo to complete the cylce and so on
With the case of ArenaNET, they are going to release expansions at regular intervals like they did with GW1. Which is about 6 months to a year depending on how big they are.
These forums suck. ~Omega X
Career Officer
# 1780
07-06-2012, 10:50 PM
Ive been playing "until recent days" TOR. I have 4 50's and 4 20's or close to that range. The storylines for some of the classes are really great, just brings you into the game even more. But like other comments before, in the end its an mmo, and what do most mmo's have for endgame, constant grinds, so theres no surprise there.

With free server transfers on the go still, and my toons on a brand new server "pve" its nice to see 200+ on fleet, and over 140+ pages of gear on the GTN lol, compared to what I had to deal with on my original server.

The thing again like most people, I hate the grind, and I find the grind in this game by far the worst ive had to experience. The fact that a simple speed boost on my legacy tree costs me 2million credits says it all, and from runing illum dailies, to cor, to belsavis, gets abit much haha. Also PVP. Currently warhero "fully geared mostly in battlemaster" and just recieved my 1st warhero piece 1-2 weeks ago, the pvp grind is a long one lol.

I cant honestly see this game going FTP soo early in the game. Iam hoping to see pay transfer come so I can get off my rock to a mid populated server. But Iam very impressed with how much they have done thus far to the game. I mean we are in 1.3 currently in game and they have added alot. Group finder, new dailies, new gear ect. And it continues. Surpases STO by a long stick.

But things change and if it does go to FTP then so be it. If its better for the game then Iam all for that. And for me its nice to take a break from how much ive grinded and back into sto for abit to do.. more grinding lol. But its trek so w/e lol
Like my Fan Page Here
xXLocutusXx