Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 231
12-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
Thats a cop-out complaint. I'm not saying that to troll you, it just is. It's like saying something tastes like chicken when you cant think of anything else to call it. lol BUT, I remember the devs at one point saying they want to make the game more like wow.

If you go into detail that its a wow-clone - which is the same thing as saying its too much like wow - then you need to remember that computers have their limitations. So until we can have holosuites or real 3D interfaces, then we are stuck with "wow-clones" for interfaces and whatnot.
Well... I disagree.
1st: There is no natural law that forces all games to be like wow. There ARE games that are diffrent. MMOs that are diffrent (lets name EVE as a famous example)
Even then game we are playing right now... as much reason for complainments there are rright now.... and although the interface has much similaritys to WoW... STO has MUCH MUCH MUCH more inovation im comparison to TOR.
Same for Star Wars Galaxies.

The only "new" thing about TOR is the story-telling. Thtats it. That is great, and the only reason I will play as soon as this dammed early access hits my mailbox. But beyond that it IS wow with light sabers.
Similar visuals, same kind of class-enfocrments and limitations, completly similar gameplay.... nothing, nothing at all I havent seen before and I'm noit really a hardcore MMO player.
From the gameplay point even *** had more...

And to all those who thing that is a good Idea.... well many people do NOT play wow because they dont like THAT. Something diffrent would have been nice.
If people want WOW why dont they play WOW? I dont get it.

I for myself will take a look at this secret world game... from what I hear they seem to have a diffrent aproach there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 232
12-14-2011, 02:23 PM
I was refering specifically to the UI. A lot of crybabies whine about how the UI looks the same as wow, and that there are quests, and your characters all walk and run around like they do in Wow. Which is absurd, because thats how it is in EVERYGAME in existence. We are limited to current tech with what we can do with the UI.

So you're saying that STO is better than TOR? How exactly? You're going down the "its a wow-clone" road unless you can provide me with examples of how STO is better.

The ONLY thing I think STO has done better than TOR is the character creation. Graphics are almost identical except in space and I think STO might look better, but I havent seen TOR space yet. Shiny specular maps on STO for metal bits and what not, that might make it look better but it eats up v-ram. And part of the reason why warcrack is so popular is because you can play it on a bargain basement computer; which is why TOR went the cartoony-look.

You would have a very small helping of players if they used Gamebryo, Crysis, or any other high-end graphics engine.

*** might have had more but notFuncom buggered it all up with their deceptiveness, bad management, and poor development team. *** was fun until you got out of Tortage, and that is the prevailing sentiment I have seen everywhere *** is mentioned.

I suggest that if that is your true sentiment about TOR, that you just not wast your 60-150$ on it. Trust me, you will thank me later. There's been many an mmo/game that I wish I could un-buy now. lol
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 233
12-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Speaking of UI, I have 2 complaints:

1) You cant adjust the brightness in windowed mode

2) You cant adjust the text size

I know you cant do #2 here either, but the test seems smaller in TOR than in STO so I dont have a problem with it here.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 234
12-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
I was refering specifically to the UI. A lot of crybabies whine about how the UI looks the same as wow, and that there are quests, and your characters all walk and run around like they do in Wow. Which is absurd, because thats how it is in EVERYGAME in existence. We are limited to current tech with what we can do with the UI.
Well look at Tabula Rasa. That was an MMO that did NOT go with that limitations.
The DC universe gamplay, while there are still similaritys in UI, diffrent.
STOs shooter mode....
I thing people with more MMO experience then I have will find more examples.

Quote:
So you're saying that STO is better than TOR? How exactly? You're going down the "its a wow-clone" road unless you can provide me with examples of how STO is better.

The ONLY thing I think STO has done better than TOR is the character creation. Graphics are almost identical except in space and I think STO might look better, but I havent seen TOR space yet. Shiny specular maps on STO for metal bits and what not, that might make it look better but it eats up v-ram.
I'd definitly say STOs graphics are better on ground too.

What else does STO better?
Character creation is just one part.
And thats not even a WOW clone problem in TOR.
The only games I played for a whole beside STO yet are LOTRO and ***.
In both games if found it anoying as hell to choose betweengood looking stuff with awfull stats and bad looking stuff with good stats.
When I saw them after their f2p release, both had a little funny feature: You had a clothing slot where you could put armor JUST to use the visuals.
Rift went online with the same feature.

TOR... the most likley most anticipatet MMO, most delayed MMO I know of and most expensive MMO-... wich is (well yeah we are discussing that anyway) notthing but a standard-wow-scheme MMO lacks THAT feature... wich is even standard for THAT "standard" KIND of mmo by now.
I simpy can NOT understand that.
Hell-.... as the "so evil and powerfull" Sith inquisitor... I have to run arround intimidate my enemys in womens clothes.

But beside character creation:
The whole system, build a crew, costumize it.
Costumize your abilitys.
Change your abilitys to addapt to situations by switching bos in space and kits on ground.
Using dffrent kind of weapon...
Bottom line: NOT beeing limitet to ONE set of abolitys and ONE type of weapons.
And part of the reason why warcrack is so popular is because you can play it on a bargain basement computer; which is why TOR went the cartoony-look.

Then we have basicly two games with ground and space.... Both equaly significant.

Not an MMO on ground and.... a railway shooter!

A worldwide server. Not 20 servers for each country.
And if you say "but that leads to the sh*** instance system"... well TOR has that anyway.

Naming... you know... like many people I have my "usual" names I use in games for my character.
Can there be more then 1 John in "TOR"? No. It seems that in that whole giant galaxy it is not possible to have 2 people with the same name... on earth... the one planet we live on and will never leafe...that is not even possible in one city.
I remember in other "standard MMOs" that I became prety desperate, hitting random letters on my keyboard to find a name.... and a name like "itkzgdasöl" was already in use. Same will happen in TOR . It will never happen with the @handle naming in STO.

Gameplay itsself in STO... well ground may be similar to TOR... space is not.... aiming while moving, weappon arcs... all that requires a completly diffrent way of playing then WOW or TOR.

Hell... If that game woundt be ruined on purpose right now I'd not give TOR a second thought.

Quote:
You would have a very small helping of players if they used Gamebryo, Crysis, or any other high-end graphics engine.
I didnt care that much about graphics... I dislike the artstyle. But for me that is a minor complaint anyway.

Quote:
*** might have had more but notFuncom buggered it all up with their deceptiveness, bad management, and poor development team. *** was fun until you got out of Tortage, and that is the prevailing sentiment I have seen everywhere *** is mentioned.
I never said *** was a good game. I just said THEY had inocative ideas that did set it apart from wow in GAMEPLAY, unlike TOR.

I wouldnt call STO a good game, beside everything I mentionet above.
The diffrence is:
STO COULD become one. It has tons of potential.
In TOR... I woudnt know much points where to improve something... it is limitet in its potental to... well... basicly what it is.
Dont get me wrong... it seems ti me they executet the standard-mmo-formula prety good. But is and always will be limitet in that formula.

Quote:
I suggest that if that is your true sentiment about TOR, that you just not wast your 60-150$ on it. Trust me, you will thank me later. There's been many an mmo/game that I wish I could un-buy now. lol
Well... again... I like the story telling and will play throuh it once or twice... Just like most Bioware games^^
I can life with that kind of limiation in most singelplayer games too...
I just dont prepare for a longer period of residence there.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 235
12-14-2011, 03:25 PM
I think you are confusing UI with game mechanics. UI is the user interface. The inventory window, the character panel, chat window, quick bars. Those are the UI. STOs shooter mode is a part of the game play mechanics.

All MMOs have the same basic UI design. Basically boxes of various sizes and shapes arranged around the window screen box. Until we come up with the tech for holo screens and holosuites, we will always have that sort of UI.

You were mixing what I said with what you said. lol You forgot to add in quotes in places.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 236
12-14-2011, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisling
I think you are confusing UI with game mechanics. UI is the user interface. The inventory window, the character panel, chat window, quick bars. Those are the UI. STOs shooter mode is a part of the game play mechanics.

All MMOs have the same basic UI design. Basically boxes of various sizes and shapes arranged around the window screen box. Until we come up with the tech for holo screens and holosuites, we will always have that sort of UI.

You were mixing what I said with what you said. lol You forgot to add in quotes in places.
I wanst confusing anything. You asked where STO is better and I gave examples. And I dont see any wrong quotes I left out.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 237
12-15-2011, 05:52 AM
What server is everyone on?

I'm on Hyperspace Cannon but am willing to reroll to another server.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 238
12-15-2011, 05:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
What server is everyone on?

I'm on Hyperspace Cannon but am willing to reroll to another server.
A lot of Tenforward members are going to Grand Master Zym.....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 239
12-15-2011, 06:03 AM
I'm on sanctum of the exalted. its where most of the rp guilds got dumped apparently. It was my first choice anyway. Still working out which classes I like (all of them) the best.

But so far I like Sith Inquisitor, Smuggler and Imperial Agent the best. Counselor seems like it would be a lot of fun later on, but I was never a fan of the whole ascetic buddhist monk-like theme that Jedi have.

Currently the names Im using are: Naxhije, Nydyssia, Ura'sai and Sa'shori. They may end up being different classes, but those names are mine.

So much for playing with STO buddies I guess. :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 240
12-15-2011, 06:06 AM
a Jedi's strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:43 AM.