Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 381
12-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Nah. WoW is the poster game for a successful MMO.
Do you know why I rate that game so highly? Because they hired a large team of professional historians to write the lore for it, based on real-world mythologies and legends. Quality writing for the win.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 382
12-30-2011, 11:12 AM
The Metacrtic Site User scores are interesting (and I tend to lend more weight to Metacritic user scores as the main metacritic sciores are doone by magazine reviers; and the bigger the company footprint in gaming circles the better that score REGARDLESS of what the actual players are saying.)

STO Metacritic User Score: 6.0 (link)

SWToR Metacritic User Score: 6.2 [Although it's listed as 6.1 farther down on the Current PC Games List when soprted by user score] (link)

5+ years in development and 150 - 350 million spent in development (depending on who's reports you read) for a 6.2/6.1 User score. Methinks SWToR may not be the new MMO juggernaut in a few months unless EA/BioWare really manage to do something that really hooks users; and going by the forums - the dissatisfaction is about as bad as any other MMO out there.

It'll be interesting to see where subscription retention numbers for SWToR are afyter the first 6 months or so. They could pull a WoW and turn things around, or it could end up being SWG Version 2.0. Time will tell.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 383
12-30-2011, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
The Metacrtic Site User scores are interesting (and I tend to lend more weight to Metacritic user scores as the main metacritic sciores are doone by magazine reviers; and the bigger the company footprint in gaming circles the better that score REGARDLESS of what the actual players are saying.)

STO Metacritic User Score: 6.0 (link)

SWToR Metacritic User Score: 6.2 [Although it's listed as 6.1 farther down on the Current PC Games List when soprted by user score] (link)

5+ years in development and 150 - 350 million spent in development (depending on who's reports you read) for a 6.2/6.1 User score. Methinks SWToR may not be the new MMO juggernaut in a few months unless EA/BioWare really manage to do something that really hooks users; and going by the forums - the dissatisfaction is about as bad as any other MMO out there.

It'll be interesting to see where subscription retention numbers for SWToR are afyter the first 6 months or so. They could pull a WoW and turn things around, or it could end up being SWG Version 2.0. Time will tell.
That Metacritic link was very intesting.
I have never really given "The Critics" much of any respect, mostly due to the either "thumbs up, thumbs down" responses without giving any real detail about their responses, and the Metacritic "Critic Reviews" are further proof of this.
When the Critic Reviews and the User Reviews show big differance then you know there is something wrong or untrue. When the Reviews are showing smiliar evaluations, then at least they show they were at least playing the same game.

Example: SW:TOR Critis score TOR as a 8.9 of 10 (i say it that way for the pairity in numbers from 89 of 100) while the User score is 6.2. A 2.7 scoring differrence, so something doesn't quite jive.

STO Critics score STO 6.6 while the User score 6.0. A .6 difference, so the reviews mostly jive.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 384
12-30-2011, 05:50 PM
I take back what I said.

Reverse engineering adds a layer to crafting that I hadn't expected: the ability to get new recipes from the junk you grind through--and to reclaim crafting mats to make others.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 385
12-30-2011, 06:02 PM
STO gets the space combat and max customization.

TOR gets ground combat and full voice over.

They are both beautiful games, and at this point I love them equally.
That said, Cryptic is my all time hero for their great character creator and the naming system they have. It is so nice to be able to name your character without worrying if someone you probably will never meet in the game beat you to it or not. I am also a big fan of the 1 server to rule them all, but I do appreciate the scale of TOR.

Got to go... Locutus has some more Jedi to kill.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 386
12-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav750k View Post
STO gets the space combat and max customization.

TOR gets ground combat and full voice over.

They are both beautiful games, and at this point I love them equally.
That said, Cryptic is my all time hero for their great character creator and the naming system they have. It is so nice to be able to name your character without worrying if someone you probably will never meet in the game beat you to it or not. I am also a big fan of the 1 server to rule them all, but I do appreciate the scale of TOR.

Got to go... Locutus has some more Jedi to kill.
I agree. Neither game directly competes with one another, when you consider how their features are different.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 387
12-30-2011, 06:30 PM
I just wish pvp was balanced in TOR. Other than that and boring railshooter, TOR is my new favorite MMO...STO would have been my favorite still if I wasn't stabbed in the back and kicked in the teeth so many times.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 388
12-30-2011, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
I just wish pvp was balanced in TOR. Other than that and boring railshooter, TOR is my new favorite MMO...STO would have been my favorite still if I wasn't stabbed in the back and kicked in the teeth so many times.
Agreed. I just dumped 200k on crafting. It's great fun. I think I've reverse engineered fifty improved recipes.

PvP in SWTOR lacks diminished returns on CC. I have two player CC (one short, another AoE and long--both fragile) but only one counter. In PvP matches, CC is all over the place. It's awful.

SWTOR also lacks brackets for PvP. I just encountered a level 50 in Champion PvP gear. My 39 Operative stood no chance, despite him playing a smuggler as well.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 389
12-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Agreed. I just dumped 200k on crafting. It's great fun. I think I've reverse engineered fifty improved recipes.

PvP in SWTOR lacks diminished returns on CC. I have two player CC (one short, another AoE and long--both fragile) but only one counter. In PvP matches, CC is all over the place. It's awful.

SWTOR also lacks brackets for PvP. I just encountered a level 50 in Champion PvP gear. My 39 Operative stood no chance, despite him playing a smuggler as well.
On Canderous Ordo about 80% of the imperial pvp community (well at least the "normals" ) are level 50 or near it. Republic has only a few 50's.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 390
01-01-2012, 04:37 PM
So the great realisation set in... and SWTOR just turend out like many people said it would be to turn out... wow in SW skin...

This actually wouldn't be bad if they wouldn't have copied vanilla wow... thats 6 years to late....

And there are even come fundamental flaws with this game:

The 0.5 second lag that is caused by the engine (Everything you do, cast, mount etc. has a 0.5 delay and is related to the game engine). It makes the game fell ultra clunky... especial in PvP.. and ppl complained about STOs ground combat... this is like Pre crossfire STO ground combat with sticky sauce everywhere.

The enforcement of the ToS... srsly Bioware really ****s this up hard... People get banned for whispering to there friends the F-word (regardless of the context), they ban people for playing the market (aka buy low, sell high) and what not... hell they even ban you for playing there game... if you go to illum and you are not level 40+ you get banned if you participate in any content there.... wth isn't it then locked if they don'T want low level players there?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:36 AM.