Lt. Commander
# 391
01-01-2012, 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
So the great realisation set in... and SWTOR just turend out like many people said it would be to turn out... wow in SW skin...

This actually wouldn't be bad if they wouldn't have copied vanilla wow... thats 6 years to late....

And there are even come fundamental flaws with this game:

The 0.5 second lag that is caused by the engine (Everything you do, cast, mount etc. has a 0.5 delay and is related to the game engine). It makes the game fell ultra clunky... especial in PvP.. and ppl complained about STOs ground combat... this is like Pre crossfire STO ground combat with sticky sauce everywhere.

The enforcement of the ToS... srsly Bioware really ****s this up hard... People get banned for whispering to there friends the F-word (regardless of the context), they ban people for playing the market (aka buy low, sell high) and what not... hell they even ban you for playing there game... if you go to illum and you are not level 40+ you get banned if you participate in any content there.... wth isn't it then locked if they don'T want low level players there?
Some of what you're saying is true but some of it is patently false.

Illum had a massive exploit that allows people to ferry low level players to capture points allowing for quick turn overs and loot (as well as powerleveling and gear for low level, opposing faction alt). I believe Bioware hotfixed it--but those Illum bases stem from that.

That said, the 0.5 delay is in addition to the animation issues where an animation is longer than the ability cast time, meaning you can use another ability but it won't go off during this window. It's a huge error and possible on every class (especially bad on healers).
Lt. Commander
# 392
01-01-2012, 04:47 PM
thats the joke... Bioware is just trying to hide stuff they overlooked while designing the game... a smart company would close down the instance for a few days and at least implenet a level cap as hotfix (should't take more then 1-2 days to implement such a thing a basic check if the requirments are met) and then look into the problem more detailed....

But no.. instead they ban paying customers, that would be the same if cryptic would have banned all players for unequipping the rechargeable shield battery from the Klingon mission...
Its ther fault, there short sight and the customer has to pay for it... haha sure...
Lt. Commander
# 393
01-01-2012, 04:50 PM
Quote:
thats the joke... Bioware is just trying to hide stuff they overlooked while designing the game... a smart company would colse down the instance for a few days and at least implenet a level cap as hotfix (should't take more then 1-2 days to implement such a thing a basic check if the requirments are met) and then look into the problem more detailed....

But no.. instead they ban paying customers, that would be the same if cryptic would have banned all players for unequipping the rechargeable shield battery from the Klingon mission...
Its ther fault, there short sight and the customer has to pay for it... haha sure...
You can travel to Illum and not get banned.

I've been there to get companion items on a 38 Operative. People like me aren't banned.
Lt. Commander
# 394
01-01-2012, 05:01 PM
In general i dont like FTP games and the models they use, but i do play a few now and then like BSGO, nice big space battles! but to keep ammo up and get anywhere you really got to spend alot, this is why i just use it to waste time for a hour now and then and thats all, when they say 'special offer' and offer you a few bits of currencies and silly nukes for 70 then im out of there.

Now STO even going FTP means nothing to me, theres still NO content so it will make little differance to me so i folded and gave in, i am currently downloading SWTOR, from what ive seen my view has changed on it and i am looking forward to it alot, i love that new feeling of exploring a new MMO!

I also prefer to pay that flat out sub fee and be done with it , none of this FTP rubbish, for me it doesnt work as i like items and stuff, and if your like me the FTP ends up costing more than a sub, plus content in other MMO's seem to be a lot more than what you get from FTP games.

STO having no Content for so long is just a final straw, my boy left after this 'buy a box and you may get something rubbish' and looks like i will folow now no matter if STO is FTP or not.

Just wish this would download faster im getting 200KB/s LOL!

Biggest problem i got is what class to pick lol, ill definetly be Sith Side, i like idea of a Bobba Fett but know id miss a lightsabre eventually lol

I can comapre this to STO, i am a one character person, but with STO having nothing todo i have 5 character on STO all end level, i cant say but hope SWTOR will be more. Warzones may be my thing for endgame, even this in STO is so lame so it seems a win win for me at the moment.

Anyone here from UK play? what Server you on? be great to play and talk to others ingame straight away!
Lt. Commander
# 395
01-01-2012, 05:10 PM
Be prepared for a disappointment if you look for endgame... or crafting...or anything beside the story...
Lt. Commander
# 396
01-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Quote:
Be prepared for a disappointment if you look for endgame... or crafting...or anything beside the story...
You're judging it too harshly and if I'm not mistaken, its a very bias stance you're taking. The truth is the game is barely a month old, and knowing that Bioware "IS" a superior company than Cryptic Studios, I'm sure they are painstakingly taking care of their baby.

The truth is, TOR gameplay will not appeal to everyone because you have to have a unique taste for:

A) The Lore behind it

B) Must be at least a fan of Star Wars

C) Have a familiarity with SW:KOTR

Following a previous MMO format is not a bad thing, it was stated the reason behind it was because the WOW skill system is the most viable and practical system in all of MMO's. Many folks that played MMORPGs mainly come from WOW - The most popular MMO in history.

RIFT uses the WOW interface format, why not TOR - If it works use it. People are fimiliar with it, so its easy for folks to settle in TOR. Besides; TOR is based off the SW:KOTR games in which had a ton of awesome skills - I am am sure that TOR has expanded on the skills.

I think a lot of folks look back at Star Wars Galaxies and remember what an awesome MMO it was before SONY destroyed it to accomodate their PS console base fans. I am sure Bioware will not "F" up like SONY did and stick to a true and tried formula.

I know Bioware is working on some upcoming add ons and expansion. Especially the space battle expansion pack they are working on.
Lt. Commander
# 397
01-02-2012, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Crafting is better there than in WOW or here--it's more nuanced but not explained well enough.
Lt. Commander
# 398
01-02-2012, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Unless you've come from STO? Which is severaly lacking in both of those.....

The Endgame is SW:TOR is far to early to judge, there is still very few players even at the lvl cap yet, but there are loads of flashpoints, outdoor raid bosses and raids, there is also different systems to grind (ligtside/darkside), PVP lvls, Social lvls, Companion lvls, there's also the entire codex system, the dailies, all the heroics are repeatable for earning tokens too, to me, thats plenty of things for a player to do at endgame.

Crafting as well seems pretty good, I've got all mine maxed out and I'm now reverse engineering everything to discover the rarer recipes. I've used Artifice to a huge degree when leveling up, in fact almost all my item slots have been created by myself, so its has helped me hugely is gearing myself. It is also certainly more robust than teh crafting system in WoW, it feels a bit similar to Earth and Beyonds with the reverse engineering, I can only hope that as I progress I can reverse engineer loot drops to actually discover rarer recipes. It's not as good as Saga of Ryzoms in regards to making items, in that game , say I was making a shoe, I'd need leather and other materials, depending what type of leather and material I used, the stats of the final item would change, this was extremely cool (never crafted in SWG, but I assume it was similar from teh praise everyone gives it).

Eitherway, SW:TOR is a very solid game and certainly not deserving of some of the hatred some people are giving it (some by people that havn't even played it). It amazes me people can whine about features in TOR saying they arn't done well when STO doesn't even have some of those features or has completely messed up versions of them...
Lt. Commander
# 399
01-02-2012, 04:13 AM
i think people tend to blur the lines between 'is this a good game' and 'is this a good game for me personally.'

I think technically TOR is a great game with tons of stuff to do and very polished, but it has a couple of styles of gameplays that wont please everybody. it does not make it a bad game and does not deserve some of the hate (especially on the tor forums where it often gets ripped to pieces by their players) but it wont please everybody.

I can honestly say the game is great but i can also honestly say its not a great game for me.
Lt. Commander
# 400
01-02-2012, 04:33 AM
oh boy I feel like back in 2009 here... just the games are different... but everyone is entitled to there opinion.... mine -> ToR F2P 2013.