Lt. Commander
# 411
01-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedofheat
So i got TOR as a Christmas present; which was nice. And I tried it albiet briefly the mechanics are interetsing and the dialouge is great; but actually the game lost me at char gen; it was so limited in terms of customisation, which i think is important in an MMO or at least it is to me... I'm sure they will get round to fixing it, but I wont be subscribing, at least for a while...
TOR doesn't have STO's level of character customization but it is vastly superior to the system WoW has. I've yet to see any character that looks like any of my characters.

As for the Legacy system, the system hasn't been installed yet. We can pick up our legacy name and level up our legacy but we don't know what we'll get from it. Rumor has it we'll be able to unlock races, alt leveling bonuses and such but that is just a rumor.

That being said, the game has a ton of stuff to do. Social rank, pvp rank, alignment rank, companion affection, companion story, personal story, pve flash points, pve group missions, heroic flash points, raids, crafting and reverse engineering, space missions, datacron collecting, lore object collecting.. the list goes on.

Also, Tricksterbro, If you want to drop by and say hi. I'm on the server Space Slug with the character name Authurious.

Authurious De-wynter, Hotshot Pilot.
Lt. Commander
# 412
01-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
Be prepared for a disappointment if you look for endgame... or crafting...or anything beside the story...
1-sided stance is obvious ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
You're judging it too harshly and if I'm not mistaken, its a very bias stance you're taking. The truth is the game is barely a month old, and knowing that Bioware "IS" a superior company than Cryptic Studios, I'm sure they are painstakingly taking care of their baby.

The truth is, TOR gameplay will not appeal to everyone because you have to have a unique taste for:

A) The Lore behind it

B) Must be at least a fan of Star Wars

C) Have a familiarity with SW:KOTR

Following a previous MMO format is not a bad thing, it was stated the reason behind it was because the WOW skill system is the most viable and practical system in all of MMO's. Many folks that played MMORPGs mainly come from WOW - The most popular MMO in history.

RIFT uses the WOW interface format, why not TOR - If it works use it. People are fimiliar with it, so its easy for folks to settle in TOR. Besides; TOR is based off the SW:KOTOR games in which had a ton of awesome skills - I am am sure that TOR has expanded on the skills.

I think a lot of folks look back at Star Wars Galaxies and remember what an awesome MMO it was before SONY destroyed it to accomodate their PS console base fans. I am sure Bioware will not "F" up like SONY did and stick to a true and tried formula.

I know Bioware is working on some upcoming add ons and expansion. Especially the space battle expansion pack they are working on.
^ /Agree
Lt. Commander
# 413
01-02-2012, 06:56 PM
Quote:
TOR doesn't have STO's level of character customization but it is vastly superior to the system WoW has. I've yet to see any character that looks like any of my characters.
I think part of this issue is due to the companion characters instead of the player characters.

Until I started equipping helmets on Kaliyo, there's very little difference between her customization options--whereas someone like Mako can change dramatically.

Right now, I have Kaliyo dressed up like Boba Fett--which suits her.

Adding a cosmetic vendor for companion characters would be useful--even if it only meant hair and skin would chance.
Lt. Commander
# 414
01-02-2012, 07:02 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Q
Lt. Commander
# 415
01-03-2012, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic_One View Post
Atari, as a corporation, was in deep financial trouble. The fact that they had to borrow $40 million to buy and fund Cryptic did not help that matter at all.They were fighting off lawsuits, debt, and a terrible economy; all of which led them to selling the only asset they had of any value in the hopes of saving their company. They didn't sell Cryptic because they knew it was going to be a failure. They sold it because it was the only thing they had that anyone wanted to buy.
You are correct that the few assest that Atari had worth something was indeed Cryptic, however; according to Stahl this effected Cryptic as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstahl View Post
...... Luckily, Perfect World agrees. PVP is a big part of their games. They get it. They want two solid PVP factions as well (as well as a third Romulan faction!). That doesn't mean that I now have an army of people at my disposal to make Klingon Content, but it means that we all agree and that it is going to happen.

...... Currently we are all sitting down and reviewing where we want Star Trek Online to be, comparing that to our current revenue and team size, and building the plans that will get us there while remaining financially responsible.

......... The last six months have been extremely stressful on Cryptic Studios. When your future isn't certain and your parent company is in a heap of debt,(<--reference to Atari) it breeds desperate decisions and the STO team has had a lot off "directives" that it has had to deal with.

Luckily - despite all of that insanity - instead of flying us into the ground and possibly going bankrupt, Atari has sold us to a company that truly loves and cares about MMOs. Freedom to plan for the future is back. Freedom to hire is back. Clarity about what is most important is back. So yeah. Things are looking good.

I'm not trying to deflect all the responsibility away from the team. We have had our own issues as well. Personnel problems. Babies. Team transfers. Inability to replace broken PCs. Loaner PCs that barely meet the minspec for the game. Core code mergers that caused more bugs than it solved. There was even a month with no cups in the kitchen.

....... Perfect World paid as much as they did for Cryptic Studios because we are doing well given what we are, and they see an opportunity for Star Trek to be huge. That makes me smile and hopefully makes you smile too.

This is their investment and they are going to spend money to make money. Something you can't do when you're in debt.

So take it or leave it. That's about as frank as I can get.
However; the "DOING WELL," part is basically by the skin of their teeth in my opinion. This is because of "US," the diehard Star Trek playerbase. This is yet to be tested in regards to the newly F2P stance - hopefully PWE will use their experience in F2P MMO's to either make this game great, or will drive it to the ground in the sense that it will alienate their current playerbase and new F2P player. However; yes you are correct in that regard, let us hope that PWE expertise will kick in and deliver more for STO.

Quote:
Ever since DA:O bioware produced more or less crap... yes I even call ME2 more or less crap.. its not a RGP anymore, but more an interactive story compare it to ME1 and its nothing alike...

Also now call me a bioware hater... yes I am, since DA:2, but had hopes for TOR....
That was obvious since your 1st posting. Compare TOR and STO pound for pound - There are many things TOR has that STO is lacking in SPADES.

Yes TOR was in an abyss in regards to development, I give you that argument (Considering the gazillion voice overs & Real Life actors they hired), but in the end it was well worth it. Its barely a month old and I am sure Bioware has more in the works - unlike Cryptic who has NO excuse since they should have focus on pleasing their current playerbase by more content ---> (They had 2 YEARS, TWO FRICKIN Years - more than enough time to fix the KDF and add a million FE)
Lt. Commander
# 416
01-03-2012, 01:44 AM
Quote:
You are correct that the few assest that Atari had worth something was indeed Cryptic, however; according to Stahl this effected Cryptic as well.

However; the "DOING WELL," part is basically by the skin of their teeth in my opinion. This is because of "US," the diehard Star Trek playerbase. This is yet to be tested in regards to the newly F2P stance - hopefully PWE will use their experience in F2P MMO's to either make this game great, or will drive it to the ground in the sense that it will alienate their current playerbase and new F2P player. However; yes you are correct in that regard, let us hope that PWE expertise will kick in and deliver more for STO.

That was obvious since your 1st posting. Compare TOR and STO pound for pound - There are many things TOR has that STO is lacking in SPADES.

Yes TOR was in an abyss in regards to development, I give you that argument (Considering the gazillion voice overs & Real Life actors they hired), but in the end it was well worth it. Its barely a month old and I am sure Cryptic has more in the works - unlike Cryptic who has NO excuse since they should have focus on pleasing their current playerbase by more content ---> (They had 2 YEARS, TWO FRICKIN Years - more than enough time to fix the KDF and add a million FE)
Cryptic is kind of like the red headed step child that gets uses, abused and sold to the highest bidder. I'd point the finger at the parent companies as much as I would at Cryptic.

That being said I truly think the path STO is now walking is one paved by PWE. For a Western MMO, STO's F2P matrix has a very Asian feel about it.
Lt. Commander
# 417
01-03-2012, 07:12 AM
Quote:
Yes TOR was in an abyss in regards to development, I give you that argument (Considering the gazillion voice overs & Real Life actors they hired), but in the end it was well worth it. Its barely a month old and I am sure Bioware has more in the works - unlike Cryptic who has NO excuse since they should have focus on pleasing their current playerbase by more content ---> (They had 2 YEARS, TWO FRICKIN Years - more than enough time to fix the KDF and add a million FE)
I come back in 2 years when TOR has still abysmal end content, (wow the boss is so challanging that you can craft in between and its probably as bad as STOs encontent....) still horrible graphics and ban people for the most ridiculous reasons...

I am not comparing it to STO in general at all, I compare it to WoW... and its a bad clone of that... I compare it to STO, which is a medicore MMO to begin with, when TOR is even worse in that regards...

For 150-300 million $ I would expect more then 200h of shallow writing, that gets worse the further it progresses... but oh I forgot we got romancu with wifu or husbando... thats why I hate bioware stuff past DA:O...
Lt. Commander
# 418
01-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
I come back in 2 years when TOR has still abysmal end content, (wow the boss is so challanging that you can craft in between and its probably as bad as STOs encontent....) still horrible graphics and ban people for the most ridiculous reasons...

I am not comparing it to STO in general at all, I compare it to WoW... and its a bad clone of that... I compare it to STO, which is a medicore MMO to begin with, when TOR is even worse in that regards...

For 150-300 million $ I would expect more then 200h of shallow writing, that gets worse the further it progresses... but oh I forgot we got romancu with wifu or husbando... thats why I hate bioware stuff past DA:O...
We get it, you don't like TOR...if you hate it so much why bother coming back here just to argue?
Lt. Commander
# 419
01-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
We get it, you don't like TOR...if you hate it so much why bother coming back here just to argue?
So long as it doesn't get personal, I'll defend his right to argue just as I defend anyone's critiques of STO.

Despite my Cryptic-leanings, I've always support a healthy, critical discussion of games--how else can thtey move forward?

I'm curious as to how people would improve both SWTOR and STO---specifically, not generally.
Lt. Commander
# 420
01-03-2012, 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
It's the internet, it's what we do. :p