Lt. Commander
# 451
01-08-2012, 12:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
Fun.

That's what I am having in ToR and not had in a while for STO.

I love flying my Defiant and blasting away, but it's tiresome and boring after 20 mins or so.

I alway felt with 3 classes (very simular too) this game would not have much replayablitiy.

Even though the ship combat in TOR is not as good as STO, I was surprised how much fun I had playing it. I loved Starfox back on my SNES and this reminds me of it so much.

That said though, I love the story in TOR, the exploring, the fighting, really like the crafting and it just feels like so much more to do with the added bonus of doing it all again differently 8 times or even 16 if I want to change A/C.

STO left me feeling hollow after 2 weeks, with me only coming back to play after each season, playing 2 mins and logging off.

The difference now, is I cannot really %itch and complain about STO as I am not paying for it anymore but TOR is my main, STO is the one I want when I want to do some blasting as I love my defiant.

There is space for more than one game in my life so my hating on STO will stop and I will play when I feel that need. I think for all my past griping about STO, it was down to paying a sub fee for a sub par game. Now I feel it's worth it (as in free).

The only problem is I cannot see me shelling out a bean on this game and if plenty of others both new and old feel the same, how will it survive? Yes, in the next few months, loads of people will try with some staying and some leaving but isn't it all about those staying buying stuff?

Anyway, TOR = Fun regardless of the niggles. Next patch PVP brackets come in (very welcome) so this will make a big difference to me and to others...
you know, its funny, I feel the exact opposite, I found ToR boring and repetitive and I had issue after issue with it on my pc, issues that being in the beta and posting many bug reports about should have been fixed before release (and I was in the very first beta weekend too)

STO is no where near perfect I agree, but story, feel, etc is by far much better to me than ToR

(Also, ToR is so astronomically expensive compared to STO, with ToR being released at now the most expensive RRP on the market for an MMO release, its just not worth it)
Lt. Commander
# 452
01-08-2012, 01:11 AM
TOR is a well done game, which feels like a 2005'ish mmo revamp. It's all about "been there, done that". No money from my part just because it bears the SW title.

STO takes you away from the classic mmo recipe and tries to diversify the gameplay experience by giving some not so conventional elements (space travel, space and ground combat, third person shooter, excellent character personalization etc). STO feels different, because it was intended for a different player type, rather than a themepark hand-holding addict.

Is STO perfect? Hell no!
However it is different from most other mmos you see there on the market and this is what is/will keep me playing for a long time.

Regardless of how good TOR is, regardless of the millions spent on voice acting and advertising, it still remains a game which should have been released many years ago (gameplay wise), since it brings little innovation and doesn't try to differentiate itself in any way from its competitors (seriously, voice acting is not that big of a deal).

I've chosen STO to experience a different gameplay from what is available on the market at this time and I got my money worth so far.
I can't say the same thing about TOR.
Lt. Commander
# 453
01-08-2012, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesamurai View Post
you know, its funny, I feel the exact opposite, I found ToR boring and repetitive and I had issue after issue with it on my pc, issues that being in the beta and posting many bug reports about should have been fixed before release (and I was in the very first beta weekend too)

STO is no where near perfect I agree, but story, feel, etc is by far much better to me than ToR

(Also, ToR is so astronomically expensive compared to STO, with ToR being released at now the most expensive RRP on the market for an MMO release, its just not worth it)
you do know sto was not selling for 10$ when it first came out its CE was 80$ alone wich now it nothing more then a box now whit a pen

and sorry could say sto is very much as repetitive as tor all you do in sto kill kill kill get data get data get data thats right all you do in sto and story sto has very little of a story

ive put 11 days all ready in to my toon on tor 11days not even cap in sto you can be cap from what i here now in 3 days 3 days hek when sto came out only took me one week to get cap then one more week to be in all the best stuff

btw love the eveonline avatar
Lt. Commander
# 454
01-08-2012, 02:43 AM
I played beta and it is not close to STO, it hae some good aplications but it is just not what i expected from Star Wars, im asticking wth STO
Lt. Commander
# 455
01-08-2012, 05:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesamurai View Post

To each their own, I've found TOR's story to be quite amazing. Each planet has a unique feel with a unique set of problems that all lead back to the greater galactic issue of the war. STO's story seemed to lose focus with each new sector and planet, it didn't really point back to anything. At least that is what I saw.

TOR runs better for me than STO so I can't comment on any issues and as for price, new and popular games tend to be more expensive than games that are old or aren't very popular / successful. Not to mention the whole F2P thing.
Lt. Commander
# 456
01-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USS_Excalibur View Post
To each their own, I've found TOR's story to be quite amazing. Each planet has a unique feel with a unique set of problems that all lead back to the greater galactic issue of the war. STO's story seemed to lose focus with each new sector and planet, it didn't really point back to anything. At least that is what I saw.

TOR runs better for me than STO so I can't comment on any issues and as for price, new and popular games tend to be more expensive than games that are old or aren't very popular / successful. Not to mention the whole F2P thing.
Yes, but you payed 60$ for the game's story, since that's the only thing the "defenders" of the game bring up in an argument. Once that story is over, what makes you continue paying 15$/month?

Let's not forget that if it was a single player game, you could pay once, hop in and finish the story missions all over again. In TOR's case, if you return after 4 months and decide you want to replay a character, you need to give another 15$.

So pretty much you're paying for a game which should have been single player, but the masterminds at EA though that if they add a chat function they can squeeze more money.

I would have had no problems what so ever with TOR, if it was released just as KOTOR 3, but the monthly fee is not justifiable at all, because the multiplayer part is not innovative in any way, shape or form.
Lt. Commander
# 457
01-08-2012, 06:03 AM
Well TOR is superior when it comes to being an MMO.

Main crippling weakness of STO as far as i am concerned?

It punishes group play.

I cannot join my friends who have come back to take a look at the game without inflating the difficulty of the mobs to a point where they feel useless (spawns get bigger, all is scaled to VA levels).

TOR never punishes me or my mates for grouping.

That is, chiefly, what makes TOR superior. I can group with low levels without ruining the game for them.
Low levels still have things to contribute (crowd control for example, or trash mob cleaning) when joining others that do higher level content.

And TOR is, even with its slight imbalances and several bugs right out of the "wtf why did nobody catch that?!" category still a much better crafted game.
Lt. Commander
# 458
01-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by claydermunch View Post
I cannot join my friends who have come back to take a look at the game without inflating the difficulty of the mobs to a point where they feel useless (spawns get bigger, all is scaled to VA levels).
You haven't been using the leveling feature to bump yourself down or them up that's been in place since season 1 or 2 have you?
Lt. Commander
# 459
01-08-2012, 07:32 AM
I find it amusing that the SWTOR forums have even more dooms day talk than this forum
Lt. Commander
# 460
01-08-2012, 07:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krtr
Yes, but you payed 60$ for the game's story, since that's the only thing the "defenders" of the game bring up in an argument. Once that story is over, what makes you continue paying 15$/month?

Let's not forget that if it was a single player game, you could pay once, hop in and finish the story missions all over again. In TOR's case, if you return after 4 months and decide you want to replay a character, you need to give another 15$.

So pretty much you're paying for a game which should have been single player, but the masterminds at EA though that if they add a chat function they can squeeze more money.

I would have had no problems what so ever with TOR, if it was released just as KOTOR 3, but the monthly fee is not justifiable at all, because the multiplayer part is not innovative in any way, shape or form.
star trek online is more a solo player game then Tor is and as i said before star trek online sell's for 10$ for a reason Tor has raids and there more then 5 player group's they go from 8 player to 16 players only time you see that many in sto is on ESD or when pvp was alive in star trek online and Tor has 4 player mission's which is the equivalent of what the special task force uest to be guess what there is more then 4 of them and they start out at lvl 10 i think going all they way to 50 and guess what thats just the easy mode there a hard mode for when you hit lvl 50 which is the equivalent of VA in sto

and as i recall star trek online was 60$ when it came out 80$ for the CE now you can get both for 10 and 14$