Lt. Commander
# 471
01-10-2012, 04:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
In essence, games like Mass Effect and now TOR has paved the way for BIG Budget MMO"s - They have taken a milestone for the genre, in regards to game interaction & participation, while at the same time remaining true to the MMO spirit.

Expect other games to follow suit - I won't be surprise if Blizzard develops a large voice interactive MMO like TOR., but with a smaller budget. All Blizzard needs to do is hire good talented actors that aren't necessarily well known, which wasn't the case with TOR.
Wouldn't surprise me in the least if "Titan" Blizz secret MMo, is once again taking the best bit's from other MMos and doing their thing with it. Fully V/O with Story.

They are one of the only other companies that can afford to do it.
Lt. Commander
# 472
01-11-2012, 05:09 PM
I like TOR and I like TOR better than STO. However, I'm too busy with school and work that I feel like I'd be throwing my subscription fee down the drain on TOR, since I won't be able to play it a whole lot. Since STO went free to play, I'll be able to play that whenever I find the time. I might activate my TOR subscription a month here and there. But I don't think I'll keep it constantly active. STO will suffice for my irregular, casual play in the meantime.

I'm not surprised that TOR is the more polished game... If STO had TOR's budget, I'm sure it would have been much better.
Lt. Commander
# 473
01-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackV7
In essence, games like Mass Effect and now TOR has paved the way for BIG Budget MMO"s - They have taken a milestone for the genre, in regards to game interaction & participation, while at the same time remaining true to the MMO spirit.

Expect other games to follow suit - I won't be surprise if Blizzard develops a large voice interactive MMO like TOR., but with a smaller budget. All Blizzard needs to do is hire good talented actors that aren't necessarily well known, which wasn't the case with TOR.
Though obviously not as big an IP, I think if Blizzard made a Starcraft MMO it would definitely be a competitor to the sci-fi MMO market. And Blizzard has lots of cash to make sure its polished before release.
Lt. Commander
# 474
01-11-2012, 05:22 PM
I wasn't going to play TOR, but a friend bought me a copy - so I've been playing it alongside STO. I wanted to give TOR a fair shake because I wasn't buying the cynical "it's just WoW in the SW universe" , but now that I've played it, I kind of agree. It's the WoW for Star Wars. The leveling, the grinding, the skill tree, the travel time, the missions - they all feel "WoWsian." That being said, I still enjoy TOR, but I don't understand why some people are so incredibly impressed with it. The story, and cutscenes are pretty cool, but it still seems like WoW to me.

<ducks>
Lt. Commander
# 475
01-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Glory
I wasn't going to play TOR, but a friend bought me a copy - so I've been playing it alongside STO. I wanted to give TOR a fair shake because I wasn't buying the cynical "it's just WoW in the SW universe" , but now that I've played it, I kind of agree. It's the WoW for Star Wars. The leveling, the grinding, the skill tree, the travel time, the missions - they all feel "WoWsian." That being said, I still enjoy TOR, but I don't understand why some people are so incredibly impressed with it. The story, and cutscenes are pretty cool, but it still seems like WoW to me.

<ducks>
I like the crafting more--and the stories on the Imperial side are quite fun (especially the Imperial Agent).

I don't experience a grind at all in this game--there is always enough story content. I've never needed to grind mobs or dailies to level.
Lt. Commander
# 476
01-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Though obviously not as big an IP, I think if Blizzard made a Starcraft MMO it would definitely be a competitor to the sci-fi MMO market. And Blizzard has lots of cash to make sure its polished before release.
I would jump for a Starcraft MMO, just as long as it was 3 factioned and launched with a a teritory control system.

... I want a Resident Evil Online too...
... and a GTA online...
... dang I want alot....
Lt. Commander
# 477
01-11-2012, 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
I would jump for a Starcraft MMO, just as long as it was 3 factioned and launched with a a teritory control system.

... I want a Resident Evil Online too...
... and a GTA online...
... dang I want alot....
I highly doubt the Zerg would be a real faction. If we ever see a Starcraft MMO I anticipate the Terrans and Protoss being the 2 main factions with the Zerg being a common enemy and possibly a monster play faction.
Lt. Commander
# 478
01-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Pfft...what we need in addition to the new epic TOR is a Transformers MMO....but with the looks of the movies, not the cheesy show :p
Lt. Commander
# 479
01-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenor-Nyiad View Post
Pfft...what we need in addition to the new epic TOR is a Transformers MMO....but with the looks of the movies, not the cheesy show :p
http://www.transformersuniverse.com/...012-you-decide
Lt. Commander
# 480
01-12-2012, 04:05 AM
IMHO TOR isn't a very good MMO - Rift is the best MMO of 2012. Just the world of Rift seems based on the outcome of a brainstorming session with class of 9-year olds. "dragons and space aliens and robots and ponies and elves and time-travel and demons and sea monsters and ...."

TOR itself is a weak MMO, with a great storyline. But a storyline is not a good driver for an MMO - when the storyline ends, you've got a rather big problem (after running flashpoints twice, the spacebar starts to appeal - but if I press it, the only 'hook' of STO is lost...). I don't think TOR will be a huge failure, and I don't think it'll be a huge success. It looks set to be a bit of a weird pseudo-mmo, and I'm not sure there's any way to change that.

One thing TOR gets both right & wrong (which is interesting for STO) is the 'ship interiors'. You often see your ship interior in TOR, something that doesn't happen in STO. On the other hand it takes 4 loading screens per planet change to support this, and it's basically a time sink - which isn't a good state of affairs. This is an area STO could/should improve, although TOR shows the pitfalls of it's specific approach.

Another aspect worthy of note is that TOR crafting is done by companions - in STO terms perhaps the equivalent of moving crafting to the duty roster...