Lt. Commander
# 491
01-13-2012, 07:28 AM
SWTOR is the only MMO besides City of Heroes/Villains that made me care about my characters. Any other MMO I've ever played feels/felt hollow in comparison.
Lt. Commander
# 492
01-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
SWTOR is the only MMO besides City of Heroes/Villains that made me care about my characters. Any other MMO I've ever played feels/felt hollow in comparison.
So that includes Cryptic's current games? I'm shocked because I just linked a thread where you were defending Cryptic to point out how we are not getting 2 BO slots per rank and Rehpic tried to say it didn't say that before. And they will change it now to cover it up.
Lt. Commander
# 493
01-13-2012, 08:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
It's coming in an update down the road for sure. Devs already talked about it will be changed. MMOs can change you know. This game is not what it was at launch either. Space here and there is repetitive. But there if you ram into an asteroid it damages your ship. Here you can ram them all day and no damage. It just moves you sideways. Yeah, that's realistic.
o_O. You're not seriously trying to compare the space combat in both, and imply that SWTOR's is better as it's got asteroid damage?? (it should be noted that whilst asteroids do damage you, debris doesn't nor do ship explosions - I haven't tried a ship collision either)

Thinking about it - is SWTOR space combat client-side or server side? it would make logical sense for the whole thing to be done client-side, and that would also explain the lack of even trivial co-op.

/shrug I'd love to be proved wrong, but BW have a lot of work to do on their core game, and no time to do it. I wouldn't expect to see any space improvements this year.
Lt. Commander
# 494
01-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splutter
o_O. You're not seriously trying to compare the space combat in both, and imply that SWTOR's is better as it's got asteroid damage?? (it should be noted that whilst asteroids do damage you, debris doesn't nor do ship explosions - I haven't tried a ship collision either)

Thinking about it - is SWTOR space combat client-side or server side? it would make logical sense for the whole thing to be done client-side, and that would also explain the lack of even trivial co-op.

/shrug I'd love to be proved wrong, but BW have a lot of work to do on their core game, and no time to do it. I wouldn't expect to see any space improvements this year.
I said both are repetitive. I didn't say one over the other. I said while both are repetitive that at least you can't play bumper cars with asteroids like here. Did I hurt your feelings by saying both are not good? Sorry but neither is that great.
Lt. Commander
# 495
01-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Quote:
I said both are repetitive. I didn't say one over the other. I said while both are repetitive that at least you can't play bumper cars with asteroids like here. Did I hurt your feelings by saying both are not good? Sorry but neither is that great.
My feelings really aren't an issue in this - I'm not wedded to either game...
- the ship combat in STO is good possibly great - I'm not a certified game reviewer, but it drew me back here again despite the bits of the game that I didn't like (basically 'everything else').
- the ship combat in SWTOR is a joke. I bought KOTOR I and II, and do not regret either purchase, or the purchase of SWTOR - but the ship combat is something I'd expect to find on kongregate.

People have different opinions - I just have trouble understanding how anyone could seriously compare the 2 implementations of ship combat with a straight face.

SWTOR is a good game in it's own right, but it sure as hell isn't a remotely good space combat game, and it's quite unlikely to become that (for this year at least). STO was a bad game with a decent IP and good ship combat.

Feel free to disagree, I don't really take offence on forums.
Lt. Commander
# 496
01-13-2012, 01:03 PM
Quote:
It's coming in an update down the road for sure. Devs already talked about it will be changed. MMOs can change you know. This game is not what it was at launch either. Space here and there is repetitive. But there if you ram into an asteroid it damages your ship. Here you can ram them all day and no damage. It just moves you sideways. Yeah, that's realistic.

Ground here is a joke. And was a bigger joke at launch so Cryptic put some work on it. Still a joke but not as big as it used to be. Thing is, MMOs can change so by what you said, see you in TOR is about 6 months or so. Just avoid the PvP servers because ganking is already running wild since some kiddies hit cap already. Or get in a good guild that will help you beat them down.
You have a link to that on tjhe SWToR site as I hear players claiming the SWToR Devs saying this (a 3D Space Combat system) is 'coming' but it's NEVER on the SWToR Dev Tracker.

And after the kead Dev's comments on the Medium/High Resolution graphics situation, I don't know that I'd believe that much coming out of ANY SWToR Dev's mouth of late -- they make Cryptic appear to be saints by comparison.
Lt. Commander
# 497
01-13-2012, 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splutter
My feelings really aren't an issue in this - I'm not wedded to either game...
- the ship combat in STO is good possibly great - I'm not a certified game reviewer, but it drew me back here again despite the bits of the game that I didn't like (basically 'everything else').
- the ship combat in SWTOR is a joke. I bought KOTOR I and II, and do not regret either purchase, or the purchase of SWTOR - but the ship combat is something I'd expect to find on kongregate.

People have different opinions - I just have trouble understanding how anyone could seriously compare the 2 implementations of ship combat with a straight face.

SWTOR is a good game in it's own right, but it sure as hell isn't a remotely good space combat game, and it's quite unlikely to become that (for this year at least). STO was a bad game with a decent IP and good ship combat.

Feel free to disagree, I don't really take offence on forums.
But the thing is you seem to not like that I said in both games it's repetitive. Take the scan 5 mission. It's to a point do you really need to search where the 5 things are? I can do those quickly without even wondering where the 5 will be on that map.

So yes, both are repetitive in space. Neither game is overly groundbreaking in the space department.

But there's some who pretend like the space here is perfect in every way because ground is not close to what TOR offers. So if anyone says anything less than "10 out of 10 stars", there are some who find offense for some bizarre reason.

I have actually found better quality in the Foundry missions in space than the non-Foundry ones. So when I say things like they are both repetitive, I'm not speaking on the Foundry because some in there are pretty good at least.
Lt. Commander
# 498
01-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
You have a link to that on tjhe SWToR site as I hear players claiming the SWToR Devs saying this (a 3D Space Combat system) is 'coming' but it's NEVER on the SWToR Dev Tracker.

And after the kead Dev's comments on the Medium/High Resolution graphics situation, I don't know that I'd believe that much coming out of ANY SWToR Dev's mouth of late -- they make Cryptic appear to be saints by comparison.
Well, instead the Devs here change stories though. It's a wash to be honest.

And I'll try to find it but it wasn't actually on their site where I saw it but a Q&A thing so need to find the transcript. I believe it was the one held by Best Buy but they have blended together as most seem to have covered the same stuff over and over and over and over, etc lol
Lt. Commander
# 499
01-13-2012, 01:40 PM
At least they've now got space zombies. I'm sure that people will pay 15$ for the next month just to play this...DLC.
Lt. Commander
# 500
01-14-2012, 07:24 AM
The only way to experience SWTOR properly is to role Smuggler or Imperial.

Most republic storylines are awful--and provide little to know incentive to questing.