Lt. Commander
# 531
01-17-2012, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
If the subscription numbers are sufficiently high, the expenses can be paid and they can produce as much or even more content than smaller MMOs.
It's very difficult to see the future of SWTOR:
- primarily it's a sharded game, any serious fall in subscriptions can (and usually does) create a self-sustaining collapse ("my server's empty" - merge servers - "game is failing, they're merging servers already!"). [imho sharding is a failed experiment in 2012 unless you create the perfect MMO]
- SWTOR does work as a single-player game, and there are 8 stories - some people will be happy just playing all 8, which could take up to a year, and is less dependent on your server population - which makes the above less important.
- the devs are being responsive to player requests. The downside is that some player requests shouldn't be listened to.

Anyway, I doubt that BW will produce huge quantities of good storyline content - and I don't think that's the answer - but it'll be fascinating to see what happens .

Quote:
It's not like they can't put out more Raids and stuff as well. If that worked for WoW, maybe it can work for TOR. If it can't work for TOR because players want only story, and story can't be produced fast enough no matter the budget - then a project like TOR will always be damned - And maybe every new MMO that has a large, story-focused following. Be it Startrek, Star Wars, Stargate, Farscape, Andromeda, Babylon 5...
There's nothing wrong with having a strong story, but I think it does need to be coupled with a strong game.
- LOTRO is an example of 'storyline' and 'gameplay' being mostly balanced.

With TOR I just don't think the core game is all that great - but it's been ignored as the storyline is so great.
Lt. Commander
# 532
01-17-2012, 06:08 AM
Well today is the new update for more flashpoints
Lt. Commander
# 533
01-17-2012, 06:13 AM
Quote:
Well today is the new update for more flashpoints
Nope, was delayed, at least according to the patch notes. They found some bugs on the test server that needs fixing first.

I guess that means DOOM. :p
Lt. Commander
# 534
01-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Quote:
Nope, was delayed, at least according to the patch notes. They found some bugs on the test server that needs fixing first.

It's still happening at some point in the next few days according to the info on their forums
Lt. Commander
# 535
01-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splutter
- the devs are being responsive to player requests. The downside is that some player requests shouldn't be listened to.
Is space combat fixed yet? Or is it still a joke tunnel shooter?

That was one of the longest running threads on the TOR forums before launch, and certainly the most heated. Mainly arguments between people who believe that Star Wars should be a mix of space and ground, and those who believed that Star Wars has nothing to do with space.

Until that issue is addressed, I refuse to believe that the devs are being responsive to anything the players say.
Lt. Commander
# 536
01-17-2012, 07:19 AM
Quote:

I guess the good news from that is that Bioware doesn't want to release new things that are bugged...unlike..you know...
Lt. Commander
# 537
01-17-2012, 07:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort1980 View Post
Is space combat fixed yet? Or is it still a joke tunnel shooter?
http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20111213-0

"Space Combat - We will continue to add missions to the space game. We also have a special project going on right now that will expand space gameplay in a significant way... for now the details will have to remain under wraps."

That might mean anything from 'STO-style ship combat' through 'co-op tunnel shooter' to 'ship combat is actually tied into the game somehow'. All would be significant - but not necessarily very good.

Anyway, in practice, it's the tunnel shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort1980 View Post
That was one of the longest running threads on the TOR forums before launch, and certainly the most heated. Mainly arguments between people who believe that Star Wars should be a mix of space and ground, and those who believed that Star Wars has nothing to do with space.

Until that issue is addressed, I refuse to believe that the devs are being responsive to anything the players say.
I suspect dev time is focused elsewhere... although personally I'd love to see SWTOR ship combat.
Lt. Commander
# 538
01-17-2012, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricksterbro View Post
It's still happening at some point in the next few days according to the info on their forums
What's still happening, the update, or doom?
Lt. Commander
# 539
01-17-2012, 07:50 AM
Quote:
What's still happening, the update, or doom?
the update brings the doom
Lt. Commander
# 540
01-17-2012, 08:10 AM
My doom clock says the hour comes upon us quickly. Speedy return to STO or something.