Lt. Commander
# 571
01-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Living up to the hype is subjective.

However, Cryptic definitely delivered more bang per the dollar(25 million vs ~250-500 million)--especially since some aspects are clearly better in STO (though the storylines, pve, etc. are more detailed and numerous in SWTOR).
More bang per dollar is also subjective Cleary better? Also subjective...

It doesn't effect you or me on how much TOR cost compared to STO, the only thing relevant is which gives "you" the most fun.

That said, Cryptic did charge AAA sub prices for nearly 2 years on a shell of a game, with 1 incomplete faction on a 25 million budget, the same price that TOR charges on a "who knows what it really cost" price so how does that figure?
Lt. Commander
# 572
01-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
Amazingly enough the SAME thing happened with WAR (aka WarHammer Online - another EA subsidiary MMO) at about the same time in its early days. I'm still subbed to SWToR myself; but this is business as usual for EA, and is one reason I'm leary as far as how well they'll continue to fund/support th game if it doesn't meet their sub retention critera goals.
I admit, even though we all know this is a mistake as a company is not that stupid to stop people cancelling, it doesn't go down well and is extremely poor on the PR front.

People will use this as another stick to beat TOR with.
Lt. Commander
# 573
01-19-2012, 09:02 AM
Don't get me wrong: I enjoy SWTOR and I enjoy STO--but for very different reasons.

My reasons:
STO:
More complex crew system
Actual ship piloting
More warzone maps
Better Graphics

SWOTR:
Two factions
Eight Classes
Actual Storyline for Crew
More complex crafting
Longer, more numerous PvE missions
More Raids/Instances
Better Sound
Lt. Commander
# 574
01-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
Don't get me wrong: I enjoy SWTOR and I enjoy STO--but for very different reasons.

My reasons:
STO:
More complex crew system
Actual ship piloting
More warzone maps
Better Graphics

SWOTR:
Two factions
Eight Classes
Actual Storyline for Crew
More complex crafting
Longer, more numerous PvE missions
More Raids/Instances
Better Sound

Define "more complex crew system" please. I find the crew here very simplistic and zero personality.
Lt. Commander
# 575
01-19-2012, 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
Define "more complex crew system" please. I find the crew here very simplistic and zero personality.
Probably he is referring tot he fact that you actually recruit your companions, fully train and customize them, unlike TOR where everyone has the same companions, their customization is very, very limited and so on.

Just because your companions are given several lines of dialogue in TOR, doesn't make up for the fact that there is little much you can do with them.
Lt. Commander
# 576
01-19-2012, 10:01 AM
I have to admit this is pretty funny:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01...sing-for-some/

I realize bugs happen, and if I'm not mistaken something like this even happened here once. But the fact that tomorrow is the end of the free 30 days AND the forum mods are closing threads with a work around just makes the timing too coincidental.
Lt. Commander
# 577
01-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krtr
Probably he is referring tot he fact that you actually recruit your companions, fully train and customize them, unlike TOR where everyone has the same companions, their customization is very, very limited and so on.

Just because your companions are given several lines of dialogue in TOR, doesn't make up for the fact that there is little much you can do with them.
Basically subjective and opinion.

They can only support 4 space and 4 ground abilities. Customization unless they are all aliens isn't unlimited either. It's not that "complex" in here either.
Lt. Commander
# 578
01-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I have to admit this is pretty funny:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01...sing-for-some/

I realize bugs happen, and if I'm not mistaken something like this even happened here once. But the fact that tomorrow is the end of the free 30 days AND the forum mods are closing threads with a work around just makes the timing too coincidental.
They actually have gone so far to close all boards to "sanitize" them..

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...46#edit1866046

Cause when this was going up you saw how the thread count of many threads just dwindled...
Lt. Commander
# 579
01-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet331 View Post
They actually have gone so far to close all boards to "sanitize" them..

http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...46#edit1866046

Cause when this was going up you saw how the thread count of many threads just dwindled...
This is either the third or fourth time they've done this (IE disabled posting on their forums) after some issue they don't want to publicize has been brought up on their forums by memebers of the playing playerbase.

Again, can you imagine what wopuld happen here and on other sites if Cryptic pulled this type of thing on the STO or CO forums?

Interesting to see EA/BioWare performing no better (and in some cases MUCH worse on teh support and PR front) then most MMO developers. Again, as a veteran of teh majority of post EQ MMO launches, it's always intereting to see the vatious phases:

1) During beta and run up to launch - disgruntled players from other 'failing' MMOs (and WoW) sing the company's praises - laund all teh positive press releases - and are sure THIS TIME, these guys will 'do it right...'

2) Launch day comes - the usual server issues are encountered and the first stories of the in game support system surface; and some disssapointments are reported, but the faithful hold fast that, in a couple of weeks everything will be great and the game will go on to greatness.

3) Box sales start to decline (and that's happening with SWToR now); and after a few weeks when more of the issues are discovered, and discussed; and some peope find the game is just not their cup of tea (for whatever reason) te faithful forum warriors go on the crusade of: "Issue <X> is nothing - we just have jealous trolls. As for those who don't lime the game? They probably wouldn't know a good game to begin with if they don't see it here."; etc. et al. rampage.

4) Acceptence (still hasn't happened with SWToR yet); in that the majority of the playerbase finally realize this new MMO will have the same type of issues, problems and comments of every other MMO; and the MMO developer is pretty much like teh rest of them.

In the end, the overall gameplay, (not fancy marketing or development/developer hype) and it's ability to attract and retain players will make or break the new MMO overall.
Lt. Commander
# 580
01-19-2012, 10:42 AM
I cancelled my sub to TOR early, I said I'd returned once they fulfilled the MMO part of the game, when I was playing it was a very much single player experience, except you could see all the other people playing THE SAME character as you, having NPCs talk to you was great, but the return of the contextual conversation wheel really frustrated me.

Glad I'm not stuck in the hole many are faced with them hiding the un-subscribe button.