Lt. Commander
# 581
01-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Wait TOR isn't an MMO? /sarcasm yes was majorly disappointed to see it is really an O.M.G. not an MMO. Not really the OMG experience I was hoping for.
Lt. Commander
# 582
01-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momiji View Post
I cancelled my sub to TOR early, I said I'd returned once they fulfilled the MMO part of the game, when I was playing it was a very much single player experience, except you could see all the other people playing THE SAME character as you, having NPCs talk to you was great, but the return of the contextual conversation wheel really frustrated me.

Glad I'm not stuck in the hole many are faced with them hiding the un-subscribe button.
Except for STFs, this game is very solo game as well. So do you hold that against STO or just blinded by fanboi glasses?
Lt. Commander
# 583
01-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
Except for STFs, this game is very solo game as well. So do you hold that against STO or just blinded by fanboi glasses?
She doesn't play STO much either so I would say no. :p And unlike TOR STO doesn't make you rerun some class instances twice because of group makeup or hold your group silent hostages while you run your class conversations.
Lt. Commander
# 584
01-19-2012, 11:10 AM
An MMO designed by a company that specializes in 1 player games that plays like a 1 player game with a lot of other people in your world playing their own 1 player game should not be surprising to anyone.
Lt. Commander
# 585
01-19-2012, 11:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capulet View Post
She doesn't play STO much either so I would say no. :p And unlike TOR STO doesn't make you rerun some class instances twice because of group makeup or hold your group silent hostages while you run your class conversations.
Now I can't argue the running twice if you are teaming with a same class person for class quests is annoying and should work like the group class quests where everyone gets complete credit. That's one of my top issues with the game.

Now the "hostage" statement isn't as big a deal to me because normally I'm running with another class person. So seeing their story play out isn't a pain as much as it is when running with same class.
Lt. Commander
# 586
01-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by momiji View Post
I cancelled my sub to TOR early, I said I'd returned once they fulfilled the MMO part of the game, when I was playing it was a very much single player experience, except you could see all the other people playing THE SAME character as you, having NPCs talk to you was great, but the return of the contextual conversation wheel really frustrated me.

Glad I'm not stuck in the hole many are faced with them hiding the un-subscribe button.
Some would say that buying a Lifetime sub to STO back in the day, meant they were stuck in a hole and couldn't unsubscribe

Look, in the end, TOR isn't for everyone. I love TOR, it's fullfield a lot of my expectations and I will subscribe again tomorrow no problem at all. I still see tons more for me to do on TOR and it's giving me fun for my buck.

STO when it first came out, I left after week 3. I have come back every so often when a new season comes out, but I still leave a couple of weeks later.

Now that it's f2p, I have 0 issues with STO. I can play (when I download), I can come to the forums to chat, debate, argue, read and that's what I enjoy.

A few people on here are very precious about STO and love to beat TOR because it's seen as the enemy of Trek. I love my Star Wars, I love my Trek, I love my Farscape, I love my Firefly, Stargate, etc etc and they all have a place for me and I want all of them to suceed in games, books, film etc.

But to me, STO is a poor MMo with only 3 things keeping me here, 1. The forums, 2, My defiant, 3, it's f2p. And me thinking it's a poor MMo is not subjective, as the million or so who bought the game and the 100s or 1000s that left after the first month (60k subs possibly) also agreed, leaving behind the lifetimers and the fanatics (I have 12 alts etc)... The not enough money for cups, a content drought, mediocre reviews, the blatent cash grab with the C-store and on on on on also reinforce the fact that this is a C+ MMo.

So yes, TOR isn't without faults, yes, plenty could have been done to mitigate some of the damage it's caused. However, tons are still enjoying the game.

The forums on TOR, as many here like to say, shows how people are not happy with TOR and that it's all doom, yet these are the same people I have read on these forums for the last 2 years, defending Cryptic and saying that these forums are the minority and shouldn't be used as any gage of the game.

Gotta love that hypocrisy
Lt. Commander
# 587
01-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelchall
An MMO designed by a company that specializes in 1 player games that plays like a 1 player game with a lot of other people in your world playing their own 1 player game should not be surprising to anyone.
An MMo designed by Cryptic, that specializes in good character option, but shallow game play, little content and lots to re-do over and over again for all their MMos, including a cash shop + Subs (starting out)should not be surprising to anyone
Lt. Commander
# 588
01-19-2012, 11:22 AM
As it's been said many times before in this long thread... If you like STO, play STO. If you like SWTOR, play SWTOR. If you like them both, play them both. How much better one is compared to the other is subjective to the individual. We don't need to make it even slightly personal.
Lt. Commander
# 589
01-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Wait TOR isn't an MMO? /sarcasm yes was majorly disappointed to see it is really an O.M.G. not an MMO. Not really the OMG experience I was hoping for.
*facepalm* okay, so maybe it is an MMO, it's certainly more deserving of the title than League of Legends... I enjoy the star wars universe loads, I enjoy the Star Trek unvierse loads, I do not really hold either MMO in much esteem though.

I would say SWTOR came through MUCH better though. I would probably re-sub to TOR if the cost came down and the people to play with went up.
Lt. Commander
# 590
01-19-2012, 11:51 AM
More interesting news from massively:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/01...swtor-fumbles/