Lt. Commander
# 51
11-30-2011, 11:52 AM
If you're going to base you're entire buying decision on space combat then no TOR is currently not for you. However if you want an MMO with fun ground combat, story with good writing, voice acting and writing that sometimes makes you laugh out loud, 8 individual storylines with more to come, with solo, co-op, micro, & full raid capabilities then its a game I recommend you look at. The ability to do actual massive raids in a Sci-Fi setting is something i've wanted for a while STO doesn't provide that, STFs will never really be raids, just exercises in frustration and grinding. But Flashpoints and Operations in TOR are fun and engaging and the allowance of letting you make choices in dialog that effect how certain aspects of the missions go is nice, though I for one have yet to vent the Engineering crew of the Eseless into space.
Lt. Commander
# 52
11-30-2011, 12:01 PM
To me SWTOR is basically KoTOR III with multiplayer co-op and it's awesome.
Lt. Commander
# 53
11-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright View Post
If you're going to base you're entire buying decision on space combat then no TOR is currently not for you.
As I tell people when they ask why I don't ground PvP in STO...

If I wanted to run around on the ground with a group of people shooting laser rifles at other people I'd go play HALO. That engine is better for Sci-fi ground combat than any MMO could ever hope to be.

I play this game because I can't think of any other modern space combat simulator out there. I've still got X-Wing vs TIE Fighter and X-Wing Alliance, but few people play them anymore.

The ground stuff on here I suffer through because it is necessary to complete the missions... if I could get all the good stuff without doing any of it believe me I would.
Lt. Commander
# 54
11-30-2011, 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
@thefrayl

you were able to finish the Black Talon Flashpoint?

i played that 3 times, the first time all players bailed at the sight of the Jedi Boss, the other 2 times my client crashed AFTER beating the boss, when walking towards the shuttle that i guess flies you back home to your own ship.

And that crash was reported on the TOR Forums already when i searched for it.
I had no crash anywhere else in the game, so it ain't my PC's fault ....
Yeah, I ended up completing it about 9 times, with one unsuccesful run. About 7 of those were completed with 3 players and no healer, as people kept bailing and/or crashing on us. It was tough, but very doable with sound strategies for some of the bosses. I never experienced a crash there, but I did see alot of teammates end up d/cing at that last part, running to the shuttle.

I also noticed that bright pixel up by the default chat window you were talking about earlier. It was driving me crazy once I noticed it. Aside from that, I came across no big bugs whatsoever. My biggest problems were with n00b looters and that pesky need for sleep.

Also: If you reached that point of the Flashpoint, you can just go back in solo and finish it up. Once you take down the Padawan, you're done with the combat.
Lt. Commander
# 55
11-30-2011, 03:17 PM
I was able to test this game this past weekend and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I did not get to far with it as I was trying to figure things out but that is okay. Its a nice learning experience and will continue once I get the game. Though I may not be able to get it right away, I hope to get it soon. I really enjoyed the stories. No matter which type you create, they had all good stories and I am going to enjoy playing each character type
Lt. Commander
# 56
11-30-2011, 03:24 PM
I love Star Trek, hence the life time sub. I enjoy this game and see a bright future for it.
I also have a life time sub. to LOTRO, and I play DCUO and am eager for The Secret World.

And I also like Star Wars and with the launch of TOR I will play it for a while. I have been reading all the posts in this thread and its the same old Hammer this - bash this aspect of which ever game and eventually downward hurtles into a giant Pi**ing match. Enough already - if you like a game - play and enjoy the darn thing.

Just stop trying to be the Great Karnak and convince the world which game is going to profit and which is going to fail. both games are great in their own ways - both have issues in their own ways. All most all of the bickering back and forth is based on "personal opinion" and like the old saying just like elbows everyone has one!

Live long and prosper people!
Lt. Commander
# 57
11-30-2011, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
To me SWTOR is basically KoTOR III with multiplayer co-op and it's awesome.
That is a little bit how it felt to me.

You can do most of the missions solo, the story they had was a hell of alot better then anything you find in Star Trek Online, Great voice overs and able to choose the way the conversation goes with the mass effect dialog wheel.

Graphichs looked very good overall in the game and the game when I played had very little bugs for a beta and felt very polished.

They had alot of group content to do as you level up like the flash points that are far more interesting then the STFs that STO have and the drops in the group missions are decient drops to equip your character with as you level up.

Some of the missions and flash points I got good gear and also was able to buy blue gear as I leveled up with ingame energy credits.

But I will give cryptic their due on these two things from my point of view that they got right. First of I don't like bioware's friend system its no where near as good as the friends system cryptic have and second the space combat is better in STO at the moment.
Lt. Commander
# 58
11-30-2011, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StargazerUK View Post
That is a little bit how it felt to me.

You can do most of the missions solo, the story they had was a hell of alot better then anything you find in Star Trek Online, Great voice overs and able to choose the way the conversation goes with the mass effect dialog wheel.

Graphichs looked very good overall in the game and the game when I played had very little bugs for a beta and felt very polished.

They had alot of group content to do as you level up like the flash points that are far more interesting then the STFs that STO have and the drops in the group missions are decient drops to equip your character with as you level up.

Some of the missions and flash points I got good gear and also was able to buy blue gear as I leveled up with ingame energy credits.

But I will give cryptic their due on these two things from my point of view that they got right. First of I don't like bioware's friend system its no where near as good as the friends system cryptic have and second the space combat is better in STO at the moment.
Add that Cryptic has way better character customization and that the TOR toon models and textures are straight out of 2003 and I pretty much agree with you.

Pit is right - is it KOTOR III - the character graphics are even he same. The story rocks (jedi gaurdiand and sith inquisitor were both really good). To me its a really deep single player game that I may play for a month or two at some point.

It isn't going to kill WoW or STO or anything else. All three are different enough and each will be just fine along with the others.
Lt. Commander
# 59
11-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boglejam View Post
Add that Cryptic has way better character customization and that the TOR toon models and textures are straight out of 2003 and I pretty much agree with you.

Pit is right - is it KOTOR III - the character graphics are even he same. The story rocks (jedi gaurdiand and sith inquisitor were both really good). To me its a really deep single player game that I may play for a month or two at some point.

It isn't going to kill WoW or STO or anything else. All three are different enough and each will be just fine along with the others.
True I did miss out customisations. They have way to much but to be honest that does not hold much value to me.

I don't see SWTOR killing any game but I do think it will do some damage to STOs subscriber numbers (that might be made up with the F2P players next year) but STO will most likely die in time if it does not get any new story line missions into the game or cryptic don't get alot of new missions to do over the coming years.

Problem with the game at the moment is you can level up to fast, your changing ships in hours and the stories (well to me) are not that interesting enough to warrant replaying on all your toons.

Klingons lack missions to do despite making they start at a higher level and the FEs are coming out febuary and given cryptics past on delivering missions god know when we see the next FE after that, could be the year after they do another round of interface changes and social maps with nothing to do on them.

Foundary if your into that can be your saving grace but its not my cup of tea and the new hourly events on tribble I tried I would not be bothering to do since it felt more of a grind that actual fun.
Lt. Commander
# 60
11-30-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort1980 View Post
Their crew skills system, or crafting, is a lot like STO's DOff system, only a lot simpler. If I had to decide between the two systems, I'd go with the DOffs any time. Much more interesting. The crafting side of crew skills reminded me of WoW's crafting system. Very few useful items at low level, just stuff to grind until you max the skill.
The Doff system provides more options in terms of mission choice with a larger number of available crew. The difference between the two is the interaction. Companions in TOR have a vast story behind them where as Doffs are like trading cards.

Also, I take it you didn't reverse engineer anything you crafted? I was able to make a load of useful items including three purple items all gained from reverse engineering and I only made it to about 100 synthweaving.

To be honest, I think STO should take a close look at TOR's crafting system. Using doffs to craft items, then reverse engineer items to gain some materials back and learn how to make better items could be loads of fun.