Lt. Commander
# 771
01-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
Ahh, so there is no content drought? Lots to do? Klingons, lots for you to do now.

Hmm, seems tons of people agree with you Darren and the forums for nearly a year have been full of praise for Cryptic and it's "lots to do" content

Me thinks your starting to revert back to the Darren of 2010
I clearly state that SWTOR has more content (of higher quality) in every category it competes against STO in (except having fewer warzones).

How is that STO fanboyism?

I never said STO had more content--just more variety in types of content, imo. Variety is neither qualitative nor quantitative. It's my opinion.

Like I said, it feels like the breadth of activities is narrower--despite both games starting development around the same time (Bioware/Lucasarts started SWTOR in 2007, Cryptic got rights (but no engine) in 2008).
Lt. Commander
# 772
01-27-2012, 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
I clearly state that SWTOR has more content (of higher quality) in every category it competes against STO in (except having fewer warzones).

How is that STO fanboyism?

I never said STO had more content--just more variety in types of content, imo. Variety is neither qualitative nor quantitative. It's my opinion.

Like I said, it feels like the breadth of activities is narrower--despite both games starting development around the same time (Bioware/Lucasarts started SWTOR in 2007, Cryptic got rights (but no engine) in 2008).
Because, it seems if you say *anything* good about STO - no matter *how* small - you're a 'fanboi' or 'fangirl'.
Lt. Commander
# 773
01-28-2012, 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
From what I have seen in the Beta, it's mostly a ground game. The Space flier types will probably stick with STO. Then some will play both, and some will switch over (those who like a ground game more) . The game still has some issues, but it does look sleeker than STO, but the controls are a bit wobbly still (IMHO)
It is clear you are more of a Star Wars fan than Star Trek. You doubt the endurance and determination of the true Trekies. I'm disappointed...tsk tsk tsk.

STO may have started slow, but in the end it is a better universe than the make believe world. ST is a plausable altnertaive future which is based mostly off of technological advances (minus Q). Those who see that clearly will stay and STO will flourish.
Lt. Commander
# 774
01-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Nice spot and excellent article.

I agree with her 100% about the levelling issue (bring back hell levels:p). Three weeks in STO to get to max level compared to 1 year in EQ and 6 months in vanilla WoW.

At the moment I am 40 in TOR and I am not rushing, but I am doing all the quests and my daily PVP/Space missions so you could say I will reach 50 before 2 months. Still too fast, however when I reach 50 and stay there for a bit, I will start again on an alt as tbh that's what I enjoy. I am a fully fledge altaholic. If STO had more classes and a distinctive difference between them, I would have probably stayed longer.

Anyone remember camping the sand giant in the ocean of tears for the ring of ancients in EQ? 14 hours camping baby and it took me 5 times to do it so realistically it took me days... Level 59-60 took me a week off work to get to, and that's playing for 18+ a day (boy was I sad in those days)...

I do love levelling more than end game . Make it longer and fun!
Lt. Commander
# 775 I like both
01-28-2012, 10:19 AM
I play both TOR and SWTOR. Star Trek original series hooked me when I was very young. It started my interest in anything Sci-Fi. Star Wars is another favorite. I'm a traditional RP'er and play both that way too. But sometimes I don't want to go thru the trouble of getting the gang together to play. I love being able to login and blast some Borg, or wipe cut up some Jedi. I am very disappointed with the space game in SWTOR. I miss Jump to Lightspeed. But I have TOR for my space combat.
Lt. Commander
# 776
01-28-2012, 11:26 AM
The storyline is more compelling, and the VO and "feel" is very good. I laughed a lot at somethings, and a couple of places felt particularly epic and bad-***, something I never really got from STO.

On the other hand:

1) STO PvP is not great and involves a lot of queing. TOR's PvP is not great and involves a lot of queing. Meh.

2) STO end-game is okay, but not great. TOR end-game is frustrating , where at least one boss can kill you completely out of the instance he's in when you are in the "safe" area of the capital city equivlent (fleet).

3) Loot in TOR is utterly and totally borked, people are rolling need for pets, for alts, and just to **** people off. PUGS are disorganized messes in STO, but are utterly terribad and without any value in TOR.

4) Extra tough missions no one does.

TOR's not a bad game. I don't feel cheated. But it needs improvement, and much like here, everyone calling for change or improvement is told to shut up and wait , that time will fix it.

We all saw how well that worked here, no?
Lt. Commander
# 777
01-28-2012, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savnoka
The storyline is more compelling, and the VO and "feel" is very good. I laughed a lot at somethings, and a couple of places felt particularly epic and bad-***, something I never really got from STO.

On the other hand:

1) STO PvP is not great and involves a lot of queing. TOR's PvP is not great and involves a lot of queing. Meh.

2) STO end-game is okay, but not great. TOR end-game is frustrating , where at least one boss can kill you completely out of the instance he's in when you are in the "safe" area of the capital city equivlent (fleet).

3) Loot in TOR is utterly and totally borked, people are rolling need for pets, for alts, and just to **** people off. PUGS are disorganized messes in STO, but are utterly terribad and without any value in TOR.

4) Extra tough missions no one does.

TOR's not a bad game. I don't feel cheated. But it needs improvement, and much like here, everyone calling for change or improvement is told to shut up and wait , that time will fix it.

We all saw how well that worked here, no?
There's PvP without queues but it's on PvP servers. If you only seen PvP with queues then you are not on a PvP server.

The need/greed loot is in both games. There was threads about it here before. Just people being greedy. I normally try to wait to select last. If I see a greedy bum hit need and he can't use it, I hit need too then. Otherwise it's greed or disassemble or even just pass.

Which extra tough missions no one does? It sounds like a server thing so again you may need to rethink what server you mainly play on.

Edit : Oh and not being snide but I noticed some of your issues too. Back when they had queues, I made characters on less populated servers of both types. Now that the queues seem to be gone, I went back to the ones that now register as heavy almost all the time I log in. No problems with these things there but when I go back to the ones that register as standard or even light I see those problems again. So some of your stuff could be corrected by changing server and type.
Lt. Commander
# 778
01-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nador_Ekoor View Post
It is clear you are more of a Star Wars fan than Star Trek. You doubt the endurance and determination of the true Trekies. I'm disappointed...tsk tsk tsk.

STO may have started slow, but in the end it is a better universe than the make believe world. ST is a plausable altnertaive future which is based mostly off of technological advances (minus Q). Those who see that clearly will stay and STO will flourish.
In all honesty how does someone not liking part of STO not make then a Trek fan? STO isn't even true Trek haha.

And, SW and ST are both very unrealistic, to just say "universe A is better than B" just shows bias imo. Oh and STO possibly flourishing b/c of people looking at the basics of Star Trek isn't really logical. Pending on how long you have been here, a nice amount of the "true Trekies" left in rage early on because of a blunder Atari did. But overall, now STO is more un-trek with PWE F2P Asian grindfest mmo company at the helm. Only reason why STO would flourish is because of the C-store, nothing else. And that is sad.
Lt. Commander
# 779
01-28-2012, 08:29 PM
Well hopefully STO goes under and a proper company picks up the IP and makes a proper MMO with actual content. Because if they made a great Trek MMO I'd cancel my TOR sub tomorrow, nothing against TOR because the quality of it has blown me away and i"m having heaps of fun, I just love ST more then SW. And STO's been nothing but a disappointment along with Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 780
01-28-2012, 09:47 PM
I wish Ilum's battlefield had similar reset mechanics to STO's Otha.

It's primetime on a West Coast server and I saw no Republic (granted, the exploit and server imbalance forced many Republic into Warzone-only PvP).