Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 791
01-29-2012, 07:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I favor the content locust approach, personally, and think the author has a bias towards leveling, which I find to be a dumb and arbitrary method of progression compared to things like a meaningful gear curve and a game that is designed as a content factory, which is really what IPs like Star Trek, Star Wars, super-hero IPs, and most fantasy settings are.

It's more important to me to have another campaign to play with monthly than it is to have a big open world to progress through via leveling.
I agree with you, but I'm one of the newer-age MMO players. I hated them in the past. Maybe I'm a content locust but I feel like I can enjoy the game's story at my own pace and I hate being denied access to the endgame and other features simply because of arbitrary levels.

I never really felt the reward payoff for leveling up since all it means is I've been playing the game for a long time. I never felt there was any journey involved in large, generic, procedurally generated worlds. New story driven quests are exciting to me. Vast game worlds filled with things to randomly kill are not.

Leveling is not as rewarding as finding a great piece of gear or completing a challenging mission, or at least one with a good plot. With this type of game I always felt like I spent all of this time going through the chore of leveling so I could finally play the game.

I can see where slow leveling and making the journey to enjoy the games content a more arduous one would keep more subscribers for a longer period of time. It just wouldn't be as fun to me though.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 792
01-29-2012, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira-sensei View Post
Agreed. Moreover, you CANNOT compare SWTOR and STO. You simply can't...

SWTOR had a development budget of 150-200 million dollars. Bioware has ~800 employees.

Cryptic has ~200-100 employees and nowhere near as much financial resources at their disposal.

Comparing Cryptic with Bioware or SWTOR with STO for that matter is neither sensible nor fair.

Then we can't compare JJ-verse to Roddenberry-verse. They didn't have the same number of employees, budget, etc.

Bioware has a larger number of employees but Cryptic let some people go. As most MMOs do after release, people move on to other projects or companies. Cryptic said so when people left before. Bioware even made it a big deal they are keeping people on because MMOs normally do not retain everyone after launch.

They are both MMOs so they are fair game for comparing.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 793
01-29-2012, 08:03 AM
Hang on a minute scrap the budget argument, a single episode of DS9 craps all over JJ Trek and an episode of DS9 would've probably had less then half the budget. TOR having more money isn't what makes it the better game. Really STO's engine is there, the game is online, instead of screwing with the mechanics of it and changing the look so many times over and adding useless crap to the C-Store they should be writing missions to forward the Star Trek canon, they've got the greatest IP in the world and they're wasting it.

Not to mention they should be finishing the Klingon faction, I'm on the verge of deleting my Klingon because it feels pointless playing him.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 794
01-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysu_Lanx
I agree with you, but I'm one of the newer-age MMO players. I hated them in the past. Maybe I'm a content locust but I feel like I can enjoy the game's story at my own pace and I hate being denied access to the endgame and other features simply because of arbitrary levels.

I never really felt the reward payoff for leveling up since all it means is I've been playing the game for a long time. I never felt there was any journey involved in large, generic, procedurally generated worlds. New story driven quests are exciting to me. Vast game worlds filled with things to randomly kill are not.

Leveling is not as rewarding as finding a great piece of gear or completing a challenging mission, or at least one with a good plot. With this type of game I always felt like I spent all of this time going through the chore of leveling so I could finally play the game.

I can see where slow leveling and making the journey to enjoy the games content a more arduous one would keep more subscribers for a longer period of time. It just wouldn't be as fun to me though.
To each their own really.

One thing Bioware, Cryptic, and some could say ArenaNet do with MMOs is give you a story while you level. WoW as I leveled, I got to a point in around level 25 that I thought "Okay, what is the main thing I'm supposed to be fighting for?" Seriously it was just going through the motions.

Reason I say some would say ArenaNet is because GW did it at blazing speed hit the cap and you still had a LOT of story to go.

If playing a story is not for you, then WoW awaits. But the things that made BW and Cryptic their name is not grinding dungeons every day. That can be seen by all of their previous work so it's crazy to think it would suddenly change.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 795
01-29-2012, 08:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
Looking at the parked ships just outside ESD, this game seems to now have "level by DOFF" system.
Yeah. On the one hand, that plays right into the, uh, lack of new missions that have been made.

On the other hand, it's really kind of a fascinating mutation of the system you know? Like can new players, free playing players, come into this game and just straight up do most of their levelling with DOFFs? I'm intrigued by this on an observational and scholarly level, heh.

It's like the "farm"ville version of STO, lol
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 796
01-29-2012, 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
I got to a point in around level 25 that I thought "Okay, what is the main thing I'm supposed to be fighting for?" Seriously it was just going through the motions.
I was a human rogue from Stormwind. My entire story arc was wrapped up in Trias, the cheese factory, and some dragon masquerading as a chick in my hometown castle.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 797
01-29-2012, 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
To each their own really.

One thing Bioware, Cryptic, and some could say ArenaNet do with MMOs is give you a story while you level. WoW as I leveled, I got to a point in around level 25 that I thought "Okay, what is the main thing I'm supposed to be fighting for?" Seriously it was just going through the motions.

Reason I say some would say ArenaNet is because GW did it at blazing speed hit the cap and you still had a LOT of story to go.

If playing a story is not for you, then WoW awaits. But the things that made BW and Cryptic their name is not grinding dungeons every day. That can be seen by all of their previous work so it's crazy to think it would suddenly change.
WoW has moved towards each zone as a story. They did it in the expansions and retooled the old zones to match in Cataclysm.

Granted, a "story" in WoW is kinda like the"Unglued" Magic The Gathering expansion.

So you have one zone that is entirely a Rambo parody now. Another zone is entirely a CSI parody where you track the daughter of a pirate killed in Vanilla ********.

They cut out almost anything not relevant to the central story.

I'm actually a fan of ********'s Uldum zone, which is a giant Indiana Jones pastiche zone with sortof a "Lion King"/"Lost Tribe" plot on one side and a battle against Nazis (complete with dialogue heavy quests where you trace the rise of a Goblin version of Hitler) on the other. All hinged around an ancient temple of Titan artifacts.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 798
01-29-2012, 08:32 AM
Well TOR has been ontime for the most part with it's latest update, yes 1 day behind to actually kill bugs without breaking the game, but that is already a better quality than STO's.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 799
01-29-2012, 09:35 AM
who the heck cares.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 800
01-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewinflorida
who the heck cares.
hehe, I see your point :p

Anyhow, what I meant is that it makes little sense to compare two companies of such different size and background. This thread is of little value altogether
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:24 PM.