Lt. Commander
# 801
01-29-2012, 10:48 AM
I am also not sure if the second Rakghoul part will manage to come out before the new DS9 arc. Isn't the latter due for Feburary?
Lt. Commander
# 802
01-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira-sensei View Post
Agreed. Moreover, you CANNOT compare SWTOR and STO. You simply can't...

SWTOR had a development budget of 150-200 million dollars. Bioware has ~800 employees.

Cryptic has ~200-100 employees and nowhere near as much financial resources at their disposal.

Comparing Cryptic with Bioware or SWTOR with STO for that matter is neither sensible nor fair.

If you wanna play a gigantic game by a titanic developer company with 100s of millions of dollars available for their projetcs, then go ahead, play SWTOR or WoW. I for my part know, why I stopped playing such games.
Sure is alot of exploits and bugs for the amount of money they blew on that (TOR) game...not to mention a hideous PvP system and equally horrid PvP community...

I am playing both TOR and STO atm...imo, STO is still way ahead of the pack in that particular race...
Lt. Commander
# 803
01-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
I am also not sure if the second Rakghoul part will manage to come out before the new DS9 arc. Isn't the latter due for Feburary?
OP said major and FE's barely qualify when you realize it's 5 missions IMHO
Lt. Commander
# 804
01-29-2012, 11:25 AM
TOR already had a major content publish with 1.1. They added new Operations (STFs) and expanded on the Rakghoul story.
Lt. Commander
# 805
01-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewinflorida
who the heck cares.
Affirmative.
Lt. Commander
# 806
01-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Resources (TOR) > Resources (STO)

So most likely TOR will have more content with less bugs and at a faster rate.

Does this matter to me? No!

I have always been more of a Trekkie than a Star Wars fan, so my choice is easy.
Lt. Commander
# 807
01-29-2012, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
I don't think they can even offer a "server transfer" to balance the PvP servers. I made toons on both sides on more than one PvP server. And the population numbers on the respective fleets are at the minimum 2 Empire for every 1 Republic. A few servers had more than that 2 to 1 ratio. Now that's not a 100% true indication but it does show an imbalance.

If STO had a full KDF content at launch that started at level 1, it would have probably happened here too a larger KDF player base. But them launching it with zero content and being as they said a "PvP only faction" stopped that plus caused people to leave this game.

And the future doesn't look bright for a Romulan faction. Cryptic is now just a C-Store producer. They spend all their creative energies on things to put in the store to nickel and dime the players. Which is sad because this IP has more possible factions than Star Wars. And the politics of Star Trek is more flushed out than Star Wars. SW is one side vs the other. ST had Feds, Klings, Romulans just from TOS alone. TNG and later gave us even more.
Hmm, I agree with most of what you say, however I think your ST bias is showing SW does have plenty of fleshed out politcs, with the trade federation, Rift alliance, the Jedi, the sith,hutts, Mandalorians and a whole host of senate faction alien races.

What I am trying to say is that yes the ST IP did deserve move than what Cryptic did. I would have been more than happy with Bioware doing a TOR version of STO warts and all!

The big issue I have with TOR is that I cannot get a purple LS for my consular and I'm not talking Magenta pink
Lt. Commander
# 808
01-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I favor the content locust approach, personally, and think the author has a bias towards leveling, which I find to be a dumb and arbitrary method of progression compared to things like a meaningful gear curve and a game that is designed as a content factory, which is really what IPs like Star Trek, Star Wars, super-hero IPs, and most fantasy settings are.

It's more important to me to have another campaign to play with monthly than it is to have a big open world to progress through via leveling.
And I think it's dumb to make levelling so easy that you reach cap within days and find little or nothing to do when you get there

Making content monthly is nigh on an impossibility,bwith only sandbox games giving this type of content. Isn't that what the article is saying, people burning through content too quick? Sounds more like a single player game with DLC that people want.

I am an old fashioned mmoer who even thinks the death penalties on most mmos are no severe enough too. I'm not talking about 2hrs corpse runs, but definately make it you don't want to die!

TOR got it right with story and v/o and this is what's hooking me. Slow the levelling down with more story content and you had me at hello
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
STO had a year to release something. Some would say 2 years for a major story update.

And "holding back" was not done by STO launch? You must not remember STO saying what's coming when CO had the Vibora Pay incident. STO did it to their own "brother".
Bioware have had major upcoming content in development since the day they starting making the game...

the latest release is 1.1 with a 2 parter "rise of the rakghouls" i can 100% bet my lifetime sub on this the next game update will be part 2 of that new mish, along with the new improved legacy system...

characters interlocked by a timeline of heritage and unlocking new abilites across the different characters..
can't see sto getting anywhere near that anytime soon "maybe 5 yrs" when the last 5 players cling to hope.

they will be cranking the updates and new features like no buggers business.

Sto might be coming onto two yrs being "semi" alive but Nothing is making me ACTUALLY play the game presently.... Oh aside from doing the shake down cruise for my free bribe ship to kinda make us forget they screwed up thats the only thing....

too many bugs that make my gameplay non fun, the kits are just meh....

Anyway Gimme a T, Gimme a O, Gimme a Rwaaaarrrrrr!!! TOR for the win "for the present"
Lt. Commander
# 810
01-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Blade
Resources (TOR) > Resources (STO)

So most likely TOR will have more content with less bugs and at a faster rate.

Does this matter to me? No!

I have always been more of a Trekkie than a Star Wars fan, so my choice is easy.
Same for me persay the STO over SW.... But in light of everything that cryptic has done my trust in them has been severely shaken...

the lies and endless and empty promises, then the cover up which got exposed.

TOR has a great system in place "bar the bugs" but it will be far more developed than STO has been when it hits 1 yr ani...

But im starting to sway more on the SW team now.