Lt. Commander
# 811
01-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
Hmm, I agree with most of what you say, however I think your ST bias is showing SW does have plenty of fleshed out politcs, with the trade federation, Rift alliance, the Jedi, the sith,hutts, Mandalorians and a whole host of senate faction alien races.

What I am trying to say is that yes the ST IP did deserve move than what Cryptic did. I would have been more than happy with Bioware doing a TOR version of STO warts and all!

The big issue I have with TOR is that I cannot get a purple LS for my consular and I'm not talking Magenta pink
Okay. Maybe I should have said ST has more PLAYABLE factions available to the IP. I wouldn't want to be a doofus (trade fed) or a fatty (hutts). And one could say the Trade Fed would actually be Empire since they got played by Palp.

Star Wars the battle lines always been to me Empire vs Rebels (hard to say Republic since my heart belongs to the first three movies and not the prequels lol).

But yeah, Bioware would have had a fully fleshed out KDF at launch. Not wait over 2 years and still only have 1 1/2 factions in the game.

EDIT: Earning gear for ME3 with this demo to unlock stuff. 20 more minutes. Another BW game on the horizon I look forward to.
Lt. Commander
# 812
01-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
And I think it's dumb to make levelling so easy that you reach cap within days and find little or nothing to do when you get there

Making content monthly is nigh on an impossibility,bwith only sandbox games giving this type of content. Isn't that what the article is saying, people burning through content too quick? Sounds more like a single player game with DLC that people want.

I am an old fashioned mmoer who even thinks the death penalties on most mmos are no severe enough too. I'm not talking about 2hrs corpse runs, but definately make it you don't want to die!

TOR got it right with story and v/o and this is what's hooking me. Slow the levelling down with more story content and you had me at hello
I think the issue there is treating leveling as the sole acceptable form of progression in an RPG.

Then again, I think Secret World looks to be doing the right thing: no levels but a never-ending journey to acquire skills through quests and other activity.

And this game has powerful content generation tools. It's not impossible by any stretch. Foundry authors routinely make HIGH QUALITY missions in anywhere from 1-10 days.
Lt. Commander
# 813
01-29-2012, 09:13 PM
I've played SWTOR for 4 weeks and the novelty is wearing off fast. No doubt we will see this game bomb hard in the next 12 months when something new comes along.

I think STO does a few things a lot better which make my gaming experience more enjoyable and longer-lasting; Less Lag, Graphics, character progression, Story (FE & missions). Voice overs in SWTOR are monotonous after 2 weeks and I just spacebar-tap through them. If I had to choose between the two I would select STO.

One thing that I do like about SWTOR is the size of the worlds. I wish the worlds were a lot bigger in STO - Star fleet Academy is teeny-tiny compared to the maps on SWTOR.
Lt. Commander
# 814
01-30-2012, 12:07 AM
I've stated before I'm a huge Trek fan, love it more then any other IP however I'm not so biased that I can't tell the better game out of the 2. Hell if STO actually felt like a ST game, then I wouldn't have looked twice at TOR regardless of how good it is.
Lt. Commander
# 815
01-30-2012, 12:22 AM
DEATH to EXPANSIONS...

Seriously... Who in their right mind wants to be forced to go out and buy expansions, when you can get Featured Episodes and Seasons for free...

No Really... Death to expansions. Expansions are evil.
Lt. Commander
# 816
01-30-2012, 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
Okay. Maybe I should have said ST has more PLAYABLE factions available to the IP. I wouldn't want to be a doofus (trade fed) or a fatty (hutts). And one could say the Trade Fed would actually be Empire since they got played by Palp.

Star Wars the battle lines always been to me Empire vs Rebels (hard to say Republic since my heart belongs to the first three movies and not the prequels lol).

But yeah, Bioware would have had a fully fleshed out KDF at launch. Not wait over 2 years and still only have 1 1/2 factions in the game.

EDIT: Earning gear for ME3 with this demo to unlock stuff. 20 more minutes. Another BW game on the horizon I look forward to.
Earning gear for ME3 with this demo? Tell me more

ME3 demo is out on valentines day?
Lt. Commander
# 817
01-30-2012, 01:17 AM
"These are not the Droids you're looking for." - Cryptic Jedi
Lt. Commander
# 818
01-30-2012, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anazonda View Post
DEATH to EXPANSIONS...

Seriously... Who in their right mind wants to be forced to go out and buy expansions, when you can get Featured Episodes and Seasons for free...

No Really... Death to expansions. Expansions are evil.
When? How many?

I bet people "would" have paid last year for featured episodes and "other things to do", if it was marketed correctly and had value (I wouldn't to be honest, once bitten twice shy).

At least Blizzards expansions are worth their money (except Cata). I still think BC was the best and brought a ton of new stuff to do!

But that's the real trick isn't it? And it's gonna cost you extra at lest 20 pounds (or tons of C-STore points) in advance for what I believe would be sub par content that would last maybe a month. Heck the whole of STO only lasted me 3 weeks and thats suppose to be the full game.

Cryptic, just like in all their games, don't make lasting content, they make "you" make the lasting content
Lt. Commander
# 819
01-30-2012, 04:07 AM
Sarcasm and you aren't good freinds are you?
Lt. Commander
# 820
01-30-2012, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewinflorida
who the heck cares.

agreed, if you wanna play TOR,.. go and play it..