Lt. Commander
# 81
12-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
I watched a gameplay video over at MMORPG.com about TOR earlier. Have to say it looks rather bland considering all the hype it's gotten.
I thought it was a little bland game-play wise and character detail wise, but there is no denying the voice acting is top notch and the 2 classes I tried had a coherent, well thought out story behind them. Like any other game/product, it hits some things and misses others.
Lt. Commander
# 82
12-01-2011, 10:51 PM
I played the last Beta weekend, and I loved it.

I haven't played STO in a few months, and have been really hyped about SWTOR being released.

I hope that both continue for many years to come, as I will be able to alternate between the both of them.

"Live long, and prosper on the Dark Side of the Force....."

Lt. Commander
# 83
12-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neshy View Post
I'm pretty sure at this point we are all aware of this game. Its been the largest source of MMO hype since Warhammer Online came out a few years ago. Last weekend was their final beta weekend, and the final game is slated to be released on Dec 20. With SWTOR racking up pre-orders at an alarming rate will STO be able to stay afloat? Or will it make like a straw hut in a tsunami?
That was already answered long before TOR's beta. Cryptic will do fine, so long as they increasingly shift the economy over to depend on Dilithium and/or the C-Store. Fanboys and players with heaps of disposable income will keep them afloat (see this thread for evidence).

But will STO still be relevant in a few months? Is it today?
Lt. Commander
# 84
12-02-2011, 11:21 AM
I just wonder how long it'll be before I have the Death Mark on my head in 12 Systems?
Lt. Commander
# 85
12-02-2011, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3R0B4NG View Post
played the beta this weekend...

i wasn't overly impressed

it's fun but it's not worth $15 to me...

i had one repeatable crash (end of first flashpoint, and i wasn't the only one)
a pixel error (there is a bright orange fixed pixel on the screen that never goes away, once you've seen it you can't look away anymore)
and 2 quests that were just broken and could not be finished.

the graphics...
lets just say the graphics will not make me want to buy this game... and STO just looks better.

i did not like that in the whole time i played i did not find a single Helmet (i was on the 2nd planet already and a lvl 15 Bounty Hunter... in 2 days... but no Helmet anywhere, not on me, not on any other Players... that sux, i want my Helmet.... it's raining... my hair gets wet...)

the armor that i had made me look like a clown most of the time...
and every other Bounty Hunter had more or less the same armor pieces that if found myself...

the good about it is the *open world* you constantly run into other players, see them do their thing, sometimes you team up for a quest or two and move on (just because you see that other guy is doing the same thing as you), and i was playing a "Flashpoint" (which is something like a STF maybe?) on level 10 already together with other players... -> feels much more like an MMO

that was a bit more fun than STO's singleplayer missions all the time...
but in the end i would not want to trade.

give me some proper open world planets and a bunch of good voice overs for STO and i'm happy with STO as it is... just... add more content ASAP plz.

but
quest bugs (show stoppers)
no anti aliasing option
at the end of beta does not say quality product to me, but rather rushed development...

this all feels very familiar,
where have i seen this pattern before?
oh right... every other MMO i ever played.

first sell the most expensive Pre Order Retail Box you can justify with an unfinished and unpolished Product, then suck out the Subscription market for one or two years and when the Retail Box is cheaper then the subscription change to F2P.
Some of your points are valid, if that's what you believe, but you did NOT play the release build, that came out last nite, and the final beta test is underway in about 30 mins(Weekend beta), normal beta tester will continue to provide feedback until next week.
Lt. Commander
# 86
12-02-2011, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTWinters
I just wonder how long it'll be before I have the Death Mark on my head in 12 Systems?
its not an easy thing to live with, let me tell you.
Lt. Commander
# 87
12-02-2011, 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
its not an easy thing to live with, let me tell you.
I'll be careful
Lt. Commander
# 88
12-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Quick question, did anyone try out a ranged sort of tank or DPS build? I would think ranged characters have a slight advantage in combat as opposed to saber/Force wielders. I was curious since I was planning on a trooper with my first character.
Lt. Commander
# 89
12-02-2011, 05:11 PM
I played two weekend beta tests and enjoyed the game alot. First time in a long time I sat down behind the computer and played a game for hours.

The nice thing is I'll beable to play both STO and SW:TOR.
Lt. Commander
# 90
12-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by -GEN-Alaris
Well, that's the problem. I've PLAYED World of ********. I don't need to play it a second time. And I think that many of those folks who think they'll be leaving World of ******** for NEW AND EXCITING ADVENTURES in the OLD REPUBLIC are sadly mistaken. They'll find that it feels just like WoW. In the first several hours of the game, I had already done 10+ "Go here, kill these, come back" missions.
Been in the full 24/7 TOR beta since October (I got a taste earlier then that for about 4 houirs before my account was accepted a few months prior too) - but the comment above pretty much nails how I feel about SWToR.

And I was going to give it a shot soon after launch as the mmember of my Guild that I've been in across many games going all the way back to EQ was planning a mass exedous from WoW; BUT with EA/BioWare's contant forcing of automatic password resets of accounts - AND the fact that their password reset system DOESN'T WORK for a good portion of people (we never get the automated e-mail the system is supposed to send - even though we all know our accounts are validaded and working in the EA/BioWare system as the e-mails telling us we have to change the password and will be lock out until we do so arrive on time without fail.
^^^
This more than anything else is probably going tomake me take a pass on SWToR for a while post release (and we'll see how long my Guild stays active there too - as they did the same with "Age of Conan" when it kaunched - but were out of that game in less then 3 months.)

If you do enjoy WoW style MMO gameplay mechanics; or just LOVE Star Wars, you'll probably like SWToR. It's solid and polished in that regard. But IMO the factt that the user UI is 100% locked down (can't move or resize any UI windows (well you can expand the chat window; but if you bring up other windows chat gets covered as it was designed to BE the size they set it at); and the fact that ALL the 'bonus mission stages' are:

Stage 1: Kill X more MOBs of <Mob Type>
Stage 2: Kill X EVEN more MOBs of <Mob Type>
Stage 3: Kill Zone Area Boss MOB - get item
Final Stage: Drop <Item> on Zone Area dropbox and get extra EXP.

For nearly every mission is even more repetative and grating to me then some of the ginds here or in WoW. And treally detracts as you have to spawn camp to get the bonus.

And while the voivce over is very well done - except for character storylines there's A LOT of crossover; so when you get to making an alt; you'll be hearing a lot of it again, and while you can spacebar through it, you still need to make a choice that can sometimes affect your character; thus unless you remeber it word for word, you'll need to hear it again, etc

SWToR's 'rivitng and dynamic' (as they call it) space combat system is a pitiful joke - period. And it's the players who started the rumor that they'll 'fix it' as there's been no concrete SWToR Dev comment to that effect; and given BioWare's been working on SWToR since 2006; if they wanted a "3D flight sim" space combat system - they would have made one (one thing BioWare was given was A LOT of funding and time.)

Will it gain and retain WoW level subscription numbers? maybe.

But if it doesn't do this pretty much right out of the gate; I wouldn't expect a lot of patience or support from EA. They have a habit of killing underperforming projects pretty quickly. Now that doesn't mean they'll shut SWToR down per se; but it may notget a lot of post launch expansion if it underperforms after the first 6 mobths or so.

So, yes, SWToR is IMO good, but not great - and the STO graphics engine overall is still nicer both on ground and in space (better shadows and overall lighting effects (IMO).