Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 901
02-02-2012, 08:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post

Shesh. Am I mad bro?

I snipped because I just realized something. STO did one thing perfect. They timed the second anniversary to end the day before the ME3 demo release.

I'm just using Gibbed save game editor to reproduce my 360 playthroughs to the PC. It's faster.

There was a dev twitter link I meant to show you too. One that said things we have as Shepard's personal items from 2 carry over to 3. Like armors and such. UGH. I bought everything except appearance packs on the 360. I had MS points to burn with the MS Rewards program. So I might be buying some items on PC for ME2 if it carries over to ME3 like the tweet said.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 902
02-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
If you really look at my posting history, I don't give STO much of a pass either; but overall, as far as MMO gameplay and innovation, I'd say they've done more on the game mechanics side then BioWare - STO's big failinng is it is still light on Dev crreated mission content - and that is a MAJOR issue.
Okay, I don't want to just pick a fight with you, but when you put this stuff out there, I feel the need to respond.

Your posting history, which I don't need to review but know it well, has been a Cryptic defender for nearly 2 years. It was only during the content drought, that you started to really question Cryptic.

So what has STO done better on the mechanics side? I am genuinely interested to know. Bare in mind that STO is space based and TOR is ground base (rail shooter aside) so you cannot compare them as a like for like game.

TOR's story line approach is very innovative. The hologram way that group members can interact in innovative. The way that you can all choose a dialogue in grouping not knowing who will win, is also innovative.

STO space battle I could argue is an updated version of the Starfleet command games and with no up or down axis, is it truely innovative?

TOR is far from perfect, but the end product I think is enjoyable (and so do 1mil + people apparently). I think you will find that SW fan base is bigger than ST, so you will find more fans staying with TOR almost as much as the STO stalwarts, the difference being they have more to do in TOR than in STO to keep them occupied which means they will keep on subbing.

Also, this game hasn't even reached Asia or Australasia yet, let see what happens when it does...

In the end, both games I think, are different types of games and both STO and TOR can be played together and both enjoyed. Now TOR, WoW and Rift are in competition with each other and these are the games that people should be comparing with each other.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 903
02-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
I snipped because I just realized something. STO did one thing perfect. They timed the second anniversary to end the day before the ME3 demo release.

I'm just using Gibbed save game editor to reproduce my 360 playthroughs to the PC. It's faster.

There was a dev twitter link I meant to show you too. One that said things we have as Shepard's personal items from 2 carry over to 3. Like armors and such. UGH. I bought everything except appearance packs on the 360. I had MS points to burn with the MS Rewards program. So I might be buying some items on PC for ME2 if it carries over to ME3 like the tweet said.
I have booked Saturday morning and Sunday morning off with the wife (sad eh), so I can play the reckoning and I am hearing some good things about it (bugs and old code and all).

ME3 will once again effect many people's current game and I expect that during the first weeks in March, a lot of MMos will see a dip. I will still stay subbed to TOR, as I always have 1 MMo as my main so I have time to play other games.

Thane Krios ftw!!!

Oh and never could play the ME games on my 360. I cannot get the hang of the controls. PC all the way baby... Same as all my Bio games, DA, KOTORs and my Baulders Gates...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 904
02-02-2012, 08:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
Okay, I don't want to just pick a fight with you, but when you put this stuff out there, I feel the need to respond.

Your posting history, which I don't need to review but know it well, has been a Cryptic defender for nearly 2 years. It was only during the content drought, that you started to really question Cryptic.

So what has STO done better on the mechanics side? I am genuinely interested to know. Bare in mind that STO is space based and TOR is ground base (rail shooter aside) so you cannot compare them as a like for like game.

TOR's story line approach is very innovative. The hologram way that group members can interact in innovative. The way that you can all choose a dialogue in grouping not knowing who will win, is also innovative.

STO space battle I could argue is an updated version of the Starfleet command games and with no up or down axis, is it truely innovative?

TOR is far from perfect, but the end product I think is enjoyable (and so do 1mil + people apparently). I think you will find that SW fan base is bigger than ST, so you will find more fans staying with TOR almost as much as the STO stalwarts, the difference being they have more to do in TOR than in STO to keep them occupied which means they will keep on subbing.

Also, this game hasn't even reached Asia or Australasia yet, let see what happens when it does...

In the end, both games I think, are different types of games and both STO and TOR can be played together and both enjoyed. Now TOR, WoW and Rift are in competition with each other and these are the games that people should be comparing with each other.
Between WoW, Rift, and TOR, I will say TOR hands down for me. WoW and TOR I can leave then come back and not feel the "why am I here in this game again" like I did with Rift recently with the 3 day free they gave for updating security. I just couldn't jump back in running. I have done that with WoW. MANY TIMES. I keep leaving it then going back for a month or two each year. lol

However, that brings me to WoW's fault that I haven't experienced in TOR yet. The "okay this is just plain redundant. They may not be pigs but they still are running around minding their own business and I'm running up on them popping a cap in their (censored). How would I feel if just out grocery shopping someone pops a cap in my (censored)?"
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 905
02-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
I have booked Saturday morning and Sunday morning off with the wife (sad eh), so I can play the reckoning and I am hearing some good things about it (bugs and old code and all).

ME3 will once again effect many people's current game and I expect that during the first weeks in March, a lot of MMos will see a dip. I will still stay subbed to TOR, as I always have 1 MMo as my main so I have time to play other games.

Thane Krios ftw!!!

Oh and never could play the ME games on my 360. I cannot get the hang of the controls. PC all the way baby... Same as all my Bio games, DA, KOTORs and my Baulders Gates...
I actually played the PC version of the Reckoning demo because I messed up. I went into the same first town as the 360 to start the 45 minute timer. Then tested my lockpicking skill and suddenly everyone in the town wanted to kill me so I had to fight. I got a Chakram and I was really loving using that weapon. Hopefully the Chakram we get in ME3 for completing the demo will be like that. It had flaws and hopefully they fix those soon. But it gave me a kind of Dragon Age Origins feel for some reason.

I have DA2 on both 360 and PC. I got it on PC at a discount someone ran really cheap and I liked it better on PC. Better graphics with the high res pack you can download plus all the mods. Aveline and Isabella mods I got made them actually look hot. I went back to the 360 and did a new game, first time I saw Aveline in the beginning I said "WTF? She's ugly!"

That's why I opted to get ME3 on PC. I probably will get the 360 version later though. One thing with ME2 on PC, I had issues with my 5.1 surround sound and the voices being extremely low. To play it I have to reconfigure my speakers to quad so I can hear them talk. I hope ME3 doesn't have that issue.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 906
02-02-2012, 11:18 AM
1.7 million subs. I think that put everyone's estimates (inside and outside the industry) to shame.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 907
02-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I've always thought it's best to see how healthy the game is, subscription-wise, by seeing how many are still around after 6 months.

I'm not doubting the game's drawing power, but how much of this will die down by the 6 month mark?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 908
02-02-2012, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelchall
I've always thought it's best to see how healthy the game is, subscription-wise, by seeing how many are still around after 6 months.

I'm not doubting the game's drawing power, but how much of this will die down by the 6 month mark?
I think in 6 months it will be even better. GTN will have a search option, the nerfs will settle down to the point where it's every so often not every couple of weeks. New content and yes, I can confidently say they will have new content because Bioware are not stupid and know they need to keep people entertained. All those niggling little things that are not in now, will be in in 6 months +.

I bet they have a ton of content already done and they have said they have V/O work until 2013. This is probably why the game took so long and why it costs so much as most of the "expansion" stuff is probably already been done, they are just going to see the lay of the land, before they release as content for free or as a expansion (jump to Lightspeed maybe).

The difference with TOR is that even if the game becomes stale in 6 months, it will still have a large subscription base, simply because it's a SW IP.

I bet if STO had had a top level developement company behind it, giving it the money and time it deserves, it would not be in the postion it's in now.

Unfortunately we know what has happened to STO after 6 weeks let alone 6 months on release.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 909
02-03-2012, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
I think in 6 months it will be even better. GTN will have a search option, the nerfs will settle down to the point where it's every so often not every couple of weeks. New content and yes, I can confidently say they will have new content because Bioware are not stupid and know they need to keep people entertained. All those niggling little things that are not in now, will be in in 6 months +.

I bet they have a ton of content already done
This appears to be what people have found out so far (it's not official). Beware of Spoilers:
http://www.torhead.com/guide/leaks
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 910
02-03-2012, 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post
So what has STO done better on the mechanics side? I am genuinely interested to know. Bare in mind that STO is space based and TOR is ground base (rail shooter aside) so you cannot compare them as a like for like game.
You want to know what STO has done better than TOR?

Simple.

It's not WoW with lightsabers. They chose to take a different approach to actual gameplay mechanics. Forget about TOR's dialogue/alignment system, that's old news too. Bioware have had something similar in just about every game they have made, so while it is new to MMOs, it is not new to Bioware.

STO is not 'space-based' and TOR is not 'ground based'. They are both sci fi MMOs in a setting which involves both ground and space gameplay. Or, at least, they both should. Space was just as important in Star Wars than in Star Trek, so the joke that Bioware has for space combat is basically an insult to the Star Wars fans out there who remember the original trilogy and grew up wanting to be Han Solo. STO's space combat, while not exactly dogfighting, is considerably better gameplay.

As for the 'ground' side of the games, well, STO isn't great, but as I have already said, it has one major thing going for it. It isn't WoW. The gameplay in TOR is identical to WoW's gameplay. I can vaguely understand why they did it. WoW is popular, so the mechanics are well known. That doesn't make it right though. The Kits system in STO make ground gameplay varied and different, allowing you mix and match your abilities depending on situation, instead of having to rely on cookie cutter builds that everyone and their dog has.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:49 AM.