Lt. Commander
# 921
02-03-2012, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchum View Post
Apparently they're pouring money into the development of Neverwinter moreso than STO.

Which makes sense. PWE bought the company, for the engine and the staff that can churn out quick and easy MMOs (or OMGs if you go with Jack's nickname for what they do). So I don't think STO was really the selling point. There's already been commentary that Star Trek's not exactly a major IP in the east. But the technology, the staff, the engine ... the company can utlilize all of those assets to put out new projects and make some bank.

They bought Cryptic because Cryptic fit their plans. STO was part of that sale, but I really haven't seen much evidence that STO was the driving force behind the purchase. Heck, Cryptic still has job openings and an interim Exec Producer, and already rehired this game's last EP to work on the Foundry, which is a bigger part of ... Neverwinter.

I don't know. I mean this game's not getting ignored by PWE. For sure. But the purchase was definitely made for more than just this game. Future projects and the nuts and bolts of what the company could make/design seem to me to be much more important in the purchase. Champions and STO are just like, side dishes.

Developer commentary indicates that the game's already got a blueprint that extends to 2013, and that voice acting has been paid for and worked on for content that goes into next year. They have already invested money in stuff beyond launch. So I don't know, worry less maybe?
First of all, OMGs don't refer to what they did with Champs or STO. I think it's pretty clear that they were trying to figure out how to justify launching Neverwinter in a less complete state than STO or Champions and that's what the OMG label was for. I think they were probably looking at the idea of, effectively, a game with a Foundry and periodic FEs after launch but no real content besides that. That's changed. Nobody is calling anything an OMG and they got an extra year to upgrade NW.

Second, this idea that NW gets ALL the resources is just counterfactual. They've been devoting a lot of resources to all of their games, as a percentage overall. What's the last update you saw from the Neverwinter team? I'm sure the teams help out and consult. I'd imagine the NW team is maybe 30% bigger because unreleased games need bigger teams.

That said, if Neverwinter was shutdown tomorrow, you honestly think we'd see a team size increase for STO and CO? You might see all the job ads for STO jobs get taken down and filled with Neverwinter staff. You might see Jack shoehorn a couple of jobs for people because he hates laying them off.

But, no, the allotted STO team wouldn't get larger, regardless of whether Cryptic had more games in development or not. It might fill some of the vacant positions but that's it.
Lt. Commander
# 922
02-03-2012, 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Second, this idea that NW gets ALL the resources is just counterfactual..
About as "counterfactual" as the continued suggestion that PWE bought Cryptic for STO and treats STO as the primary reason the company was bought?
Lt. Commander
# 923
02-03-2012, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort1980 View Post
Not like Azeroth, I'll give you, but we were talking about the mechanics of how the game works, not the environment that the game is set in.
So essentially you're saying the game has typical MMORPG mechanics? Like the trinity? Like tanks that play like tanks? We could just call it a Rift clone with less graphics?

Quote:
TOR is nothing like KotOR.
I've spent a lot of time on Taris.
Lt. Commander
# 924
02-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Quote:
You mean like the gameplay being identical?
This game has as many common things with WoW and every other MMO out there. The only unique MMO ever created was the first MMO.
Lt. Commander
# 925
02-03-2012, 06:23 AM
Quote:
So essentially you're saying the game has typical MMORPG mechanics? Like the trinity? Like tanks that play like tanks? We could just call it a Rift clone with less graphics?
But they don't have to be the 'Holy Trinity' of MMOs. While in development, some of the things the TOR developers said sounded really promising, like moving away from the trinity, and wanting epic dungeon battles that didn't involve standing there hitting a giant target. What did we get? The trinity strikes back, and giant bosses in dungeons.

Haven't played Rift, so wouldn't want to compare. From what I heard though, Rift was another onee just like WoW.

Quote:
I've spent a lot of time on Taris.
Again, you are talking graphics, not mechanics. Looks, yes, I'd hope Taris looked at least passingly similar to Taris from KotOR (not identical, since Taris had its face wiped clean, if you recall). Mechanics, KotOR and TOR are nothing alike - the stats work differently, the skills are different, your companions worked differently, and so on. Taking away the fact that they look similar (which you would hope they did since they are supposed to be the same place), they are nothing like each other.
Lt. Commander
# 926
02-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm-Strike
This game has as many common things with WoW and every other MMO out there. The only unique MMO ever created was the first MMO.
Not true. There are MMOs out there which work differently.

City of Heroes - No real loot system or inventory. Instead, when a bad guy dies, you get cash, and maybe a consumable or salvage used to enhance your powers.
Star Wars Galaxies (the original game) - Skill based system. No levels. An entirely player driven economy.

These are just two examples from games I have played over the years. As you can see, not all of them do things the same way.

the reason TOR is so much like WoW is the same reason ****, Rift, and others are a lot like WoW. WoW was successful, and people want a piece of that pie. Result? They are not willing to deviate much from that formula.
Lt. Commander
# 927
02-03-2012, 06:29 AM
Quote:
About as "counterfactual" as the continued suggestion that PWE bought Cryptic for STO and treats STO as the primary reason the company was bought?
I forget where I heard this, but I had heard that PWE wanted STO's space system for some new Asian MMO. Of course, it is just rumour.
Lt. Commander
# 928
02-03-2012, 06:32 AM
Quote:
But they don't have to be the 'Holy Trinity' of MMOs.
What I meant by trinity was a game mechanics trope. Tank, Healer, DPS. Fighter, Cleric, Rogue. Warrior, Priest, Mage. The trinity. It comes from the pen and paper RPG genre and spread easily into MMORPGs.

Quote:
Again, you are talking graphics, not mechanics.
Right. The mechanics just aren't that important. The game delivers standard mechanics that are functional within the genre. It's what you do while you play the game that sets is apart. To me it may have the same MMORPG mechanics as Rift or EQ, but what I do while I'm in game feels nothing like those other games. I'm playing a different game with a different story.

Let me put it to you this way ... I never really cared that NCAA football used the same mechanics as Madden football. They both played differently to me because of what happened in-game.
Lt. Commander
# 929
02-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Star Wars Galaxies (the original game) - Skill based system. No levels.
That's a bit misleading. You had to grind XP in levels for your skills. You had to level up rifleman, for example. Or commando.
Lt. Commander
# 930
02-03-2012, 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomace View Post

Oh, yes I too wanted to be Han Solo and I don't have a problem with him being landlocked at the moment
That part doesn't bother me as SWG was landlocked until their Jump To Lightspeed expansion about a year after launch.