Lt. Commander
# 21
12-25-2011, 07:13 AM
i noticed if you put 4 rapid fire expose rifles on your BOffs that pretty much leaves you without an opportunity to even fire on enemy mobs, if you play on normal.

anyway if the game is to hard for you you are either doing something wrong or ran into one of the badly balanced Mobs from Exploration missions... which are supposed to be BOSS mobs... at the very end of the map, without a respawn point etc. -> not much fun

...it would be helpful for this thread if you could describe what enemies your talking about and give us more info what items abilities etc. you have, screenshots, make a video whatever...

you didn't even say what type of char you play
Lt. Commander
# 22
12-25-2011, 07:44 AM
I MUCH prefer new ground combat to old. Under the old system, I would plink-plink-plink away at enemies until one of us would die. Now, weapon selection, strategy, and environment all make a big difference in combat.

Of my 7 alts, 6 have no problem fighting on the ground at all. For some reason, my Klingon Engineer alt dies pretty regularly in ground combat, and I can't figure out why. I'm trying to see what I'm doing differently with her, as my BOffs are doing okay, they just last longer than she does. It's weird. She's like a magnet for damage on the team.
Lt. Commander
# 23
12-25-2011, 08:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg247 View Post
I MUCH prefer new ground combat to old. Under the old system, I would plink-plink-plink away at enemies until one of us would die. Now, weapon selection, strategy, and environment all make a big difference in combat.

Of my 7 alts, 6 have no problem fighting on the ground at all. For some reason, my Klingon Engineer alt dies pretty regularly in ground combat, and I can't figure out why. I'm trying to see what I'm doing differently with her, as my BOffs are doing okay, they just last longer than she does. It's weird. She's like a magnet for damage on the team.
If it's a Klingon then they'll have a +10% threat generation as part of one of the traits (Honourable?) and threat generation got a huge buff with S4. BOffs with Superior Aggressive also have the same problem, they draw so much aggro they're always waiting to be resuscitated.
Lt. Commander
# 24
12-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsaud
No, ground combat was perfect before; if you didn't like it, then you wanted to be playing Star Wars or other other Combat Wombat game. My team IS balanced; my ground skills are maxed out!

GROUND COMBAT IS JUST TOO BLOODY FAST, NOW. People are avoiding it now because it's bloody impossible. Like I said, if Cryptic wants to make the higher difficulties faster, that's fine; but the basic level of the game should suit the more laid-back, thought-out combat style of the Star Trek shows, not Star-Ship Troopers! Tactics over Firepower!!
You are borderline trolling here, not willing to recognize that points of view other than your own are valid, and not giving any real valid reasons beyond "no, it's too fast and you're all wrong". Ground combat pre-season 4 was atrocious, and about as far away from "Trek" as you can get. Go back and watch some fo the TV shows- 99% of the time the enemy dies or goes down with a single hit. How is slower combat, where you have to shoot the enemy 20+ times before he falls, "trek"?

I too vastly prefer S4 combat over what was there before. Before, it was slow to the point of being ridiculous. I should need to cast debuffs/damage/etc multiple times on each enemy to bring them down. One casting of an AoE spell should last the duration of most small skirmishes. That's not "superior tactics" or "brains over brawn", it's just poorly balanced gameplay. Tactics would be "I'm gonna cast this hold on the enemy instead of the fire AOE spell because there's only one and he's powerful".

And to reiterate, in the movies and TV shows, people were 1-shotted to phaser fire all the time. In fact you can probably count on two hands the number of times someone actually withstood more than one hit of a phaser, and probably in each of those circumstances something else was going on (i.e. posessed by an alien, adaptive shielding, etc.) While IMHO I still think the current combat could be sped up even more, gameplay balance dictates that it still needs to take a few shots to kill someone. The new faster combat is much closer to canon "Trek" than it ever was.
Lt. Commander
# 25 I gotta say
12-25-2011, 08:34 AM
There are maybe one or two fights where I can get wiped along with my party fast. The first fight in cold call for example, those cryo grenades hurt. But for the most part it's the npcs that are doing the quick dying. And I rarely max out ground like the OP.

It's got to be in your build or your mechanics or both. You can claim people are lying, but it just makes you look bad. Shield recharge is a must have skill among your boffs. And remember, your shields will recharge on their own if you duck out of the line of fire for just 3 seconds. Crouching limits damage except for melee. Aim mode increases your damage by 33%; it's very significant and results in a lot of one shot kills of the other guys. Use the "crew target my target" buttton; I think it defaults to Y. Nothing except bosses stand up to focus fire for long.

There was a lot of good advice in here. Hyposprays: Dylovene and Melorazine give big damage resistance. Every character should also have hypos and shield charges in their device slots. Nanite health monitor gives instant heals whenever you or two others take damage.

The combat is a lot faster now, no doubt. But nowhere in Trek did you have people getting shot repeatedly with phasers and staying up and firing. Before season 4 you could shoot someone with a phaser rifle dozens of times before they die. That's not Trek. In my opinion, it's a lot better now.

If you're dying too much, try going without tac boffs. 2 Sci and 2 Engineers for your away team makes for a bit slower killing but you're pretty stout for staying alive. Be sure to bring lots of turrets (unless you're fighting Borg) and exposes from at least one sci boff. Make sure you have a mix of expose and exploit weapons among your away team. You should always have at least one exploit weapon on yourself. Use flanking to your advantage; don't let yourself get shot in the back if you can help it and move back if you're getting flanked.

And of course, if you're playing on normal as you say, respawning just takes a minute and carries no penalty other than your hurt pride.

I think there is approximately zero chance they will revert back all their work to the old ground system since most people like the faster speed.

Now, there is one aspect of Trek fighting that gets short shrift in STO; brawling. Fist fights were common in TOS; almost nobody punches somebody in STO. I think one mission should involve a big bar fight fought with fists, like in the Trouble with Tribbles episode in TOS.

If other people tell you they rarely die and offer advice, stop telling them they're lying because you're sure you're doing everything right. Because you clearly are not since others like me rarely die in normal mode. Try grouping up as well, since a player captain is approximately twice as effective as a bridge officer. I'm sure lots of people can give specific advice if you want it as well. Feel free to post your build that you bring to the ground. We'll help you figure it out.
Lt. Commander
# 26
12-25-2011, 08:35 AM
My favourite thing to do is send my engineers in to go set up turrets, then send my sci and tac in to back them up, while I stand back and watch them battle the enemy, then I'll run in and drop my turrets and generators, then try to flank the baddies who are focussed on my boffs/constructs... that's when I start hitting the "everyone target my target" button. Sometimes I'll just send the four of them to charge into a room to aggro the baddies, and stand well outside while they do the dirty work.

Every once in a while, one or two of the baddies will come out to try me, then they get a face full of romulan disruptor pistol., and turret.

ALL of my boffs are equipped with the best armor and shields I have found/can buy, and ALL of my boffs have 1 split beam phaser rifle, one remodulator, and one white tribble each. I generally wear armor, a bunker construction kit, the best shield, and I carry my romulan disruptor pistol from the FE rewards, and either the disruptor rifle, or a lirpa as backup.

Oh also as many of my boffs as possible, carry ophidian canes.

I generally seem to prefer the "Energy Dampening armor", but I'll take whatever drops I get if it's got a better heal rate. Also be sure that any/all of your engineers drop those medical/shield generators, and keep the bulk of the team inside the bubble.

Oh and one more thing, don't click "respawn" if any of your boffs are alive. click "Call for help" and one of them will come revive you if they're not rooted to a "go stand here" command.
Lt. Commander
# 27
12-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormnnorm
In fact you can probably count on two hands the number of times someone actually withstood more than one hit of a phaser, and probably in each of those circumstances something else was going on (i.e. posessed by an alien, adaptive shielding, Klingon, etc.) .
Agree, i just needed to include something. Klingons often took multiple shots just to stun.
Lt. Commander
# 28
12-25-2011, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkar View Post
There are maybe one or two fights where I can get wiped along with my party fast. The first fight in cold call for example, those cryo grenades hurt. But for the most part it's the npcs that are doing the quick dying. And I rarely max out ground like the OP.
You'll be pleased to hear the Cryo grenades the Breen use have (finally) been adjusted so they no longer deal such a powerful DoT and slow. The DoT and slow are still there and it's still not a good idea to be hit by them but they're nowhere near as powerful as they were. This is currently on Tribble so it'll probably go to Holodeck with the skills changes.
Lt. Commander
# 29
12-25-2011, 09:57 AM
I much, much, much prefer the ground combat as it is now.

if anyone tries to take it away i will bash them upside the head with my nano pulse lirpa.
Lt. Commander
# 30 Good to hear
12-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militis View Post
You'll be pleased to hear the Cryo grenades the Breen use have (finally) been adjusted so they no longer deal such a powerful DoT and slow. The DoT and slow are still there and it's still not a good idea to be hit by them but they're nowhere near as powerful as they were. This is currently on Tribble so it'll probably go to Holodeck with the skills changes.
I just did that mission and the cryos were still pretty tough. But this time I brought 3 engineer boffs, with about 8 turrets among them, set them all up, talked to the deferi ambassador, and by the time I rolled out of the first cryo grenade thrown at me the fight was done. Even the Thot guy at the end went down pretty handily.

But that and the occasional dahar master are really the only problems I run across. Thalaron devices from the Romulans are tough but not if you shoot them quickly. I just make sure I have both heals for sheilds and health among my party, along with hypos and shield charges in my device slots, and it's fine.