Lt. Commander
# 31
12-25-2011, 10:47 AM
The current pace reminds me back at one point in closed beta when combat was set to be very fast. Then they changed it to the slow pace we all knew for so long.. (I think they even had it slower at one point as well).

I for one am happy it is fast once again.. It seems more like the pace I see in the shows/movies where one or a couple of hits is all it takes to render someone combat ineffective.
Lt. Commander
# 32
12-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsaud
I already have an excellent team, like I said..
These are the words of somebody who refuses to adapt - beating a brick wall long after his hammer has broken and somebody has come along to install a door. "I'm already doing it right, the hammer is fine. The wall just sucks. Don't tell me about the door, I have a hammer. The wall is the problem."

Having an excellent team is one half of it. You need tactics to match or you may as well not have bothered with the team. If you're getting whittled down, you're taking too much fire and allowing a fight to drag out too long. Under no condition should you find yourself in a battle of attrition against anything below a captain level enemy, in which case it becomes a control battle to avoid taking fire - you still need to be working to avoid getting whittled down unless against a Devidian Phantasm or Elite Tactical Drone. If you have, you've failed to make good use of your excellent team.

So you copied a long time player's setup. Did you read his tactics, too? Are you deploying, pre-firing boff skills, and engaging in the same pattern he is? Or just walking in and exchanging fire?
Lt. Commander
# 33
12-25-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsaud
No, ground combat was perfect before; if you didn't like it, then you wanted to be playing Star Wars or other other Combat Wombat game. My team IS balanced; my ground skills are maxed out!

GROUND COMBAT IS JUST TOO BLOODY FAST, NOW. People are avoiding it now because it's bloody impossible. Like I said, if Cryptic wants to make the higher difficulties faster, that's fine; but the basic level of the game should suit the more laid-back, thought-out combat style of the Star Trek shows, not Star-Ship Troopers! Tactics over Firepower!!
You should stop displaying your opinion as fact.

You pointed out before that we should be stunning 90% of our enemies rather than killing them... I see that point... now see mine: In Trek, no ground battle on screen lasted longer than 30 seconds, except for the Siege of AR-somthing in DS9.

FACT remains, that people avoided ground before. The general reason I can find for this on the forums, is that most people felt it was too slow paced and that you did'n get that "combat" feeling.

Combat IS fast paced... like it or not. You think fast, act fast and think later. Ask any soldier.

If you need time to think and act in combat, use the pause button... But even elite, as someone pointed out, is easy once you stop blaming the game, and focus on the player.
Lt. Commander
# 34
12-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Just remmberElsaud,

At the earlier levels it was us an our four BOFFS who were killing the enemies in no time flat in ground missions.
Lt. Commander
# 35
12-25-2011, 11:26 AM
I have not had an opportunity to check on Ground, but, I was doing the Cardassian Tutorila on Redshirt yesterday, and when I came up against a Battleship, on Normal, There was no way in the world I could kill it. From that encounter, I would think that Difficulty has been Tweaked, and probably not to the players benefit.
Lt. Commander
# 36
12-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Actually, if I'm honest I find the ground combat too easy. I have my whole away team packing phaser pistols and I just run around mashing the 1 key to fire and everything in our path is downed without difficulty. I hardly have to use my Captains powers as the unrelenting phaser fire just kills everything before they can be of any real use.
Lt. Commander
# 37
12-25-2011, 01:01 PM
i have similar problem with that too.

it could be one of rare random bugged "elite" troopers.
last week, just before i earned commander rank, was Lt Comm 8 at that time, face very difficult situation, failed 6-7 times before decide to abort.
they were in behind of crates, i did select target for my away team, but all died in that "funnel of death" in mere seconds.
it got tough mob, it seem it was few rank higher than it was balanced, there was 'elite captian", 2 targ handlers, 1 commander, 1 munition officer, and 2 warriors, with 2-3 targs.
it was very difficult to make line of sight.

i had few "wide beam", disruptor, aoe/knockbacks rifles, and turrets if my engineer get pass, but got knock out before firing.

those ground mission need to make drops better, my away team lagged behind trying to get current upgrades as i gain levels. i dont have enough materials for crafting or had that many dilithiums, i just started playing STO almost 2 weeks ago, i quit just after STO's first 30 days post-launched, had to leave because of those spammers.

but i came back and it got better and more enjoyable, and lot of bugs fixed, but there still some bugs i found. getting my away team "fell thru the world" or buried.
Lt. Commander
# 38
12-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Firstly, "Pause".

You have a button on your User Interface (UI) that will give you a precious 45 seconds or so of thinking time. Used carefully, you can set your ambushes, fire off a few abilities and have your next step ready after execution of the first.

I know this is stating the obvious. However, let's try to be constructive.

If you are absoloutely happy with build, equipment and so on, then you may wish to look at your execution. You built that away team with a set of abilities and effects in mind; Are they failing to accomplish this plan for any other reason than the speed of combat? If so, it's time for a rethink of who, what and how.

If not... well, you can always level through the DoFF system, stick to space missions and allow the rest of us to carry on curb-stomping our opposition with the customary glee of the Federation's finest psycopaths.

I am happy with the ground combat as it is, it is quite slow enough. Merry Christmas.
Lt. Commander
# 39
12-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachery_Wilhelm View Post
<.<

Could always go back to the way combat used to be... Every fight taking like 5 mins...

Yes, that would be much better. Cinematic combat, giving time to consider your actions is much preferable to "Wham, Bam, your dead before you know what hit you!"
Lt. Commander
# 40
12-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberlerchner123 View Post
I dont know what could possibly being going on there. You make it sound like you are using an all Tactical Away Team on Advanced.
Also for once ground combat is actually fun, the old way was just mind numbingly boring.
There is just no way you are getting 1 shot in normal difficulty, unless you are stupid enough to try fight multiple mobs at once and take every single shot right in the face.
Do what every normal person would do when under fire, take cover!

Anyway unless you are just exaggerating because you dont like the new combat, send me a PM in-game, so we can do a mission together.
Maybe we can figure out what the issue is.
No, I am not exaggerating, and I am quite often getting killed within the first 2 seconds of combat. Nor am I stupid or aggroing other mobs.

And all that is beside the fact that such fast combat simply isn't in the spirit of Star Trek. As I said before, if you want pulse-pounding, keyboard-mashing combat, go play Knights of the Old Republic or something. Just watch episodes of Star Trek; combat lasts a while; it's not trading shot and being macho and taking the other guy's hits; it's thoughtful, strategic. That's what a consumer of a Star Trek game should expect! What's the point of a combat if it's over in just a couple of seconds? If it weren't deadly, it would be dead boring!