Lt. Commander
I'm astounded by the number of players that I've been encountering while running STFs that refuse to use any form of voice chat or team speak.

In one particular instance I had a team member that stated that they hated using voice chat so they always use mute all so that the only way to communicate with them would be to type.

My responce to the above was "then you must already know how to run every STF and don't need to be taught anything about them"

The responce that I got back made me want to shut off the internet on a gobal scale :p

"No, I don't know everything about STFs but if someone wants to tell me what to do they better be able to type quickly and clearly"

I've come across other players who use the mute all option because they don't like hearing male voices attached to female characters

Ignoring voice chat on the old STFs was fine; however, we need to be able to communicate quickly with these new STFs with we want to have any chance of completing any of the optionals.

I know that STF pugging is like playing Russian Roulette but this ignoring voice chat is becoming a trend that I just don't understand
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-26-2011, 09:28 AM
I dont use STO's voice chat because it sucks too much.
More often than not there is just way too much static and popping to even make out what someone is saying, and it hurst my ears no end.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Idk tbh, maybe they feel uncomfortable with it as it shows more of themselves. I usually have a key bind per pie stf that I just hit with directions so it types into chat
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-26-2011, 09:33 AM
I don't use STO's voice chat. I will use Vent, or Raidcall, maybe teamspeak (haven't used it yet though), but not STO's voice chat. Why? See Alexraptor's post.
Lt. Commander
# 5 Teamspeak or Vent
12-26-2011, 09:39 AM
Most people seem to prefer Vent or Team Speak.. I still have Team Speak installed - as far as voice chat I have it mute or off as it just annoys me; when playing STF - rarely since this game has become a lag-fest lately - I try to use whatever chat is requested.. I don't have a mic so I can't speak, but I can follow orders and voice chat is almost a must in fast and furious situations.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-26-2011, 12:44 PM
I have no hate of voice chat, I just don't have a mic anymore. What p...s me right off is I have been booted from STF teams because I don't have voice chat (and these are PUG and premade). I don't need voice chat, never have needed voice chat, and I used to run teams of noobs through stf's without voice chat (Now thats fun).

The other thing I notice is that there is always some total plonker who really doesn't set his mic levels correctly and blows your ears off so you have to turn his volume all the way down, and even then you still can't understand a word he is saying because his output is set so high it's about as distorted as the truth in parliament...

I don't ignore it, or hate it, I just don't use it due to no mic, and if your output is that high you'll get muted instantly so you might as well start talking to your wall if I'm in your instance...
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I haven't started playing the STFs yet, but before I do I would like to get myself a headset.

I will have no idea what to do in any of those missions, and rather than waste my own and everyone elses precious time I want to be able to listen to and partake in all the communication. To be part of a team, you need to be able to communication back and forth.

This is my first MMO, and part of the attraction for me, is the possibility of team play.

To be honest, now that I'm at VA, the only reason I haven't played STFs yet, is because I don't have a headset.

Having said that, those teams who have played these missions before can probably do it with their eyes shut.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-26-2011, 12:59 PM
The ViVOX voice system in-game was too little too late.

I remember people asking for this during beta, and yet, they refused to even consider it.

Then, when it came, it turned out to be bugged big time, and by then people were already using other methods such as Skype, Vent or Teamspeak.
By the time the issues were resolved, people had given up on it.

I tried ViVOX a few times, and I must admit, that it is an expirience I do not care to repeat. (<--link)
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-26-2011, 01:01 PM
Alexraptor hit it on the head. Vivox sux. I have Teamspeak, vent, & mumble installed, none of them cause the constant snap crackle pop of vivox. When i want voice coms, i don't want to hear Rice Crispies at concert volume. + theres a huge box that pops up, + for some reason, i sometimes keep hearing people whom i'm not longer teamed with talking, & it screws me up. Not to mention that Vivox makes me lag, & no other voice com i use does.
Vivox as used in STO sux.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-26-2011, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gambit0 View Post
I'm astounded by the number of players that I've been encountering while running STFs that refuse to use any form of voice chat or team speak.

In one particular instance I had a team member that stated that they hated using voice chat so they always use mute all so that the only way to communicate with them would be to type.

My responce to the above was "then you must already know how to run every STF and don't need to be taught anything about them"

The responce that I got back made me want to shut off the internet on a gobal scale :p

"No, I don't know everything about STFs but if someone wants to tell me what to do they better be able to type quickly and clearly"

I've come across other players who use the mute all option because they don't like hearing male voices attached to female characters

Ignoring voice chat on the old STFs was fine; however, we need to be able to communicate quickly with these new STFs with we want to have any chance of completing any of the optionals.

I know that STF pugging is like playing Russian Roulette but this ignoring voice chat is becoming a trend that I just don't understand
I have Vivox disabled, it causes terrible latency issues for me that disabling it clears it completely.