Lt. Commander
# 11
12-26-2011, 04:05 PM
I don't use voice chat.
I don't hate voice chat, just people who tell me I have play using it.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-26-2011, 04:06 PM
If I need to use voice, I use Mumble. The Vivox implementation is terrible and it hates my Microsoft wireless headset. You don't need voice chat to run any mission in-game, new or old! I've done them all with friends and pugs and never once, felt I needed voice.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-26-2011, 07:34 PM
I don't get these pops, and other anomalies that most of you are speaking of on a regular bases. Maybe it's user error on the side of the mic. I've had this problem in teamspeak, vent, and skype. When it happens I explain to the person to check their connections.
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurga
I don't get these pops, and other anomalies that most of you are speaking of on a regular bases. Maybe it's user error on the side of the mic. I've had this problem in teamspeak, vent, and skype. When it happens I explain to the person to check their connections.
Yeah,

Do don't get any poping or static sounds from Vivox either, it always sounds clear and crisp to me.

Well that does explain a bit to why some chose not to use Vivox.

I guess I've been lucky with Vivox and my system.

I guess I could always try the text scrip thing to get key points across to team members aobut some STFs
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-27-2011, 07:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gambit0 View Post
Yeah,

Do don't get any poping or static sounds from Vivox either, it always sounds clear and crisp to me.

Well that does explain a bit to why some chose not to use Vivox.

I guess I've been lucky with Vivox and my system.

I guess I could always try the text scrip thing to get key points across to team members aobut some STFs
Can't say Ive had any issues either.....
Honestly I was just happy they introduced an ingame voice-chat
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKEV
Can't say Ive had any issues either.....
Honestly I was just happy they introduced an ingame voice-chat
me too, but only if we can get others to use it. I know that their will be the once a while bug (user error) but that's with any system. Just explain to the person, your stuff's messed up, fix it please, this is how.
It's likely those using vivox are the one's using something like this for the first time. They may need some help.
Lt. Commander
# 17
12-27-2011, 08:11 PM
There is, of course, another reason people don't use voice chat: it's extra effort and the payoff is...dubious.

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/11/11
Lt. Commander
# 18
12-28-2011, 07:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurga
It's likely those using vivox are the one's using something like this for the first time. They may need some help.
I use 3 voice chat programs on my computer. I have zero problems with them. the only problem i have is with Vivox in STO. & there is nothing that can be done on my end to fix the sound quality, or lag problems it causes.
Lt. Commander
# 19
12-28-2011, 07:40 AM
You have to be talking about Elite right?
Lt. Commander
# 20
12-28-2011, 08:05 AM
I haven't had popping from Vivox, although recently my headset is popping all the time. This could be the change in drivers though, or the eventual decline of my headset. I seem to go through a new one every 3-6 months, despite tending to them well and cost does not seem the issue. I love being able to voice chat because it gives you an opportunity to communicate far more ideas, and save your hands from all that excessive typing. Its social, its fun. I don't see Vivox as a great system, but its a good way of bringing people into voice chat. I'm personally partial to Ventrilo but I also have Teamspeak loaded. I think the issue is that some people might still be new to voice chat on a game, especially if STO is their first game. When I first started gaming I didn't want to use voice chat either, primarily because I dislike being on long phone calls and it seemed like the same thing. At the time, for whatever reason it felt like an interruption, more than a useful tool. The fun you get from communicating with others though far exceeds what you get from typing. I first learned this on City of Heroes after the urgings of an in game friend, and my attitudes had changed ever since. The one benefit of Vivox is that it gives people the chance to be introduced to voice chat, albeit at a lower sound quality than msot of us are accustomed.