Lt. Commander
# 21 Voice chat
01-01-2012, 10:58 AM
I dont use the voice chat beacsue the last time I used it there were people like bulling my Fed char that is why I usually put it on mute
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-02-2012, 11:58 AM
If I wanted to hear somebody rant on and give orders I'd move back in with my Mother.
Lt. Commander
# 23
01-02-2012, 02:50 PM
I never noticed any pops and squeals either. Let me test further.

The reason I haven't used voice yet is because I haven't gotten a headset... until now. I got a sweet Plantronics set, real comfy, under $50, and I finally got the headphone splitters I wanted so I can run it and speakers at the same time. I'll test it out soon.

I do find, however, that a lot of mic users sound like....

...geeks.

Annoys me for some reason, even though I'm a geek myself. But that's my malfunction, not the fault of the person on the other end of the mic.
Lt. Commander
# 24
01-03-2012, 02:56 PM
I use Vivox in game chat. I use Team speak 2 and 3 I use Vent..

I haven't seen any overly terrible problems with the Vivox chat in game.. If its a band width problem then the issue is with your ISP not the chat system.
Volume on each player can be adjusted up or down as needed. USE YOUR INTERFACE! I have no idea how loud or quiet I am to another player.. I will take a moment to adjust volume on other players so thier not to load or to soft. You can do te same.

You have to do this with team speak, and with vent so stop being so lazy people! you have thousands of different computer and system builds out there playing the game.. This is NOT X-Box folks.. You MUST do some of the work your self. The good news is, once you have adjusted the volume for a specifc player you'll never need to do it again (unless of course they get new hardware or a fatter pipe). The game DOES remember settings for specific players.

Please drop your misconceptions about using in game Vivox chat. Most players issues with it are what we tech support types can an ID-10-T issue.. OR "I found your issue.. its between the chair you sit in and the keyboard" Vivox works just fine.. But you still have to use it. Its plusses are its integrated into the game.. You dont have to install any thing external.. you don't have to use STEAM client.. or anything else. It's there.. it uses the Microsoft VOIP API and its fully integrated into the STO application.

I have a good solid net conect through Charter Cable (and btw I really don't like cable), ((and as a BTW...I'm live out in the county not in town)) and use an in-home wireless network and have no problem running STO, while listening to streaming media (Subspace Radio) and have an IRC client open, a Teamspeak 2 client open, a Team speak 3 client open, a VENT client open, while straming CNN and weather on to a second monitor. SO I'm running 3 streams, and 4 VOIP connects while playing STO..

It helps to have a good computer, and a decent Internet provider. But most issues really are on the user end. Set up your computer system, and game right and you can do the the same. Theres lots of good articles on the net on how to optimize your computer for VOIP and gaming. A great may issues revolve around simply setting up your router and firewall correctly.

Do your reserch.. I did.. and thats why I can do as much as I can. Its not rocket science.. its not even computer science. Its just taking the time to go learn this stuff.

Khemaraa sends.
Lt. Commander
# 25
01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
I guess it also helps that my system has a separate soundcard, not one that's integrated into the motherboard.
Lt. Commander
# 26 just a thought
01-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gambit0 View Post
I'm astounded by the number of players that I've been encountering while running STFs that refuse to use any form of voice chat or team speak.

In one particular instance I had a team member that stated that they hated using voice chat so they always use mute all so that the only way to communicate with them would be to type.

My responce to the above was "then you must already know how to run every STF and don't need to be taught anything about them"

The responce that I got back made me want to shut off the internet on a gobal scale :p

"No, I don't know everything about STFs but if someone wants to tell me what to do they better be able to type quickly and clearly"

I've come across other players who use the mute all option because they don't like hearing male voices attached to female characters

Ignoring voice chat on the old STFs was fine; however, we need to be able to communicate quickly with these new STFs with we want to have any chance of completing any of the optionals.

I know that STF pugging is like playing Russian Roulette but this ignoring voice chat is becoming a trend that I just don't understand

Sometimes when people say things like that it is because they dont want to tell you the truth which could be they are deaf.

I am hard of hearing, and when I use voice chats if someone is loud or if 2 or 3 ppl are talking at once I can't understand anything.

But if the person that said this can hear and speak fine, then they are probably a jerk that you probally dont want with you anyways.

Be mindful that sometimes people might not join or participate in voice chat because it makes them feel broken when they use it.
Lt. Commander
# 27
01-04-2012, 11:19 PM
I tried using it a few times on Elite STFs. It just plain did not work for me. I plugged in my USB headset and ensured that the proper audio driver was selected in the voice chat options, but even though it properly routed the sound effects to the headset, it routed the voice chat out of the speakers and I do not think it was even using the microphone.

I might give it a try later to see if it has been fixed, but I am not too keen on it right now. There is no need to be snarky just because your preferred method of communication is not someone else's preferred method of communication. If you need to communicate something to the entire team, it is best to type it out. A lot of non Native speakers will actually be better able to understand written English than your garbled voice anyway. A lot of people playing the game live with other people and typing is a lot quieter than speaking .

Last time I checked, owning a headset was not a requirement to play Star Trek Online.
Lt. Commander
# 28
01-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachinsd View Post
I am hard of hearing, and when I use voice chats if someone is loud or if 2 or 3 ppl are talking at once I can't understand anything.
I'm also hearing-impaired, and multiple voices at once are very difficult for me to separate and distinguish. My wife knows to mute the TV or stereo when she wants to speak to me; it just makes it easier for me to pay attention to what she's saying. Two or three players jabbering at once, plus explosions and weapons fire, would probably be indecipherable for me.

I'm perfectly willing to take direction and follow instructions during teamups; I have no ego issues in that regard. Just tell me where you want me and what you want me to do, and I'm on it.

I may be a disabled Army veteran, but the most important part of that is *Army veteran.*