Lt. Commander
# 51
01-05-2012, 06:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerritouru View Post
Yes they allowed a lot of Enterprise to be destroyed, but not by a GAME. And beside, the E-E is has a lot of importance for CBS, just check at the E-Books!
They still make TOS novels, Enterprise novels, Voyager novels, etc. Still being active, or not destroyed, has nothing to do with making novels or comics.

Quote:
What do you said?? Every thing stuff that cryptic makes, goes first in to the CBS hand. They not even allow the TOS Connie to be a T5!
You are confusing vetting with continuity. One has nothing to do with the other. CBS uses vetting to make sure licencees do not misuse their IP. CBS doesn't care about how the licensed content affects their IP because they don't consider it to be their canon. People can die in novels and video games and be perfectly fine in the next novel and video game. It happens all the time.

And the definition of soft canon is material that CBS does not consider to be their canon - IE: hard canon.
Lt. Commander
# 52
01-05-2012, 06:32 AM
There is no canon it is just every novel and video game creates their own timeline or reality I am sure though the mentioning of the Enterprise E not being heard from or lost is more than likely a prelude to some additional content down the line that is a make it up as we go along type of story line. Although it would help out STO a lot if they created a new series to create some new "Hard Canon".
Lt. Commander
# 53
01-05-2012, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mister_dee
I'm not sure how these two things are in any way related.
The reson they gave Kirk and his crew another Conistitution refit was because there was nothing more practical around since the Excelsior was still not out of the prototype phase.
Point being the the sovy is still state of the art. Maybe not in sto timeline, but i was refering to if they make another tv series or movie and they decide to make a new ship and I suggested in stead this stick with the sovy but use the nemesis final refit desgin. How do you know that is the reason they gave the TOS crew that ship just because there wasn't anything better around. PROOF please. It makes sense to give them another consistution class because it is an iconic ship, a symbolism (spelling).
Lt. Commander
# 54
01-05-2012, 07:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeuxidemus
I am sure though the mentioning of the Enterprise E not being heard from or lost is more than likely a prelude to some additional content down the line that is a make it up as we go along type of story line. Although it would help out STO a lot if they created a new series to create some new "Hard Canon".
Just give me one, just ONE official Cryptic source that said that the E-E is lost or not being heard. I donít ask you two, three or nine.. just ONE.
I wait with patient.
Lt. Commander
# 55
01-05-2012, 07:19 AM
As someone who is former military, I'm shocked that decommissioning and mothballing aren't still standard practice 300 years in the future. Where is the mothball fleet? There has to be one. Building new ships is a lengthy and expensive process. Don't forget the Battleships Missouri saw action in WWII and Korea, was mothballed until 1984, was refit and then fired her guns in anger again during Operation Desert Storm before finally being decommissioned again in 1992.

Where is the Starfleet Reserve Fleet (the technical name for the shipyard where decommissioned and mothballed ships sit)? THAT's what I want to see.

The other thing I would want to see is the one time that the sister ships, Iowa, New Jersey, Wisconsin, and Missouri all sailed together.

Does anyone know if there is such thing as the Starfleet Reserve Fleet?
Lt. Commander
# 56
01-05-2012, 07:28 AM
My understanding is that most of the reserve fleet has been pulled back into service due the the Klingon war.That's why we have Mirandas and the like in the game well past their prime - which is different then a replica ship. They're lower tier to represent their smaller size and somewhat outdated abilities compared to the late 24th and early 25th century tech.
Lt. Commander
# 57
01-05-2012, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAJ_2011
Point being the the sovy is still state of the art. Maybe not in sto timeline, but i was refering to if they make another tv series or movie and they decide to make a new ship and I suggested in stead this stick with the sovy but use the nemesis final refit desgin. How do you know that is the reason they gave the TOS crew that ship just because there wasn't anything better around. PROOF please. It makes sense to give them another consistution class because it is an iconic ship, a symbolism (spelling).
If this was the case, why decommission it six years later for an Excelsior? More to the point, why decommission it for an Excelsior the very year that the Excelsior class enters active service? (The events at the beginning of Generations were in late 2293. Undiscovered Country was eary in 2293, and the A entered service in late 2286)

Quote:
Does anyone know if there is such thing as the Starfleet Reserve Fleet?
They were called Surplus Yards in TNG, but there was a system of orbital fields full of mothballed ships. The one in TNG had Excelsiors, Mirandas, part of an Ambassador, and the USS Akla-Selsior (can't make this **** up). Enough Starfleet hardware that the Enterprise-D sitting there with the lights off didn't ring alarm bells.
Lt. Commander
# 58
01-05-2012, 07:39 AM
I guess maybe Wolf 359 is now the Reserve Fleet? LOL
Lt. Commander
# 59
01-05-2012, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelchall
I guess maybe Wolf 359 is now the Reserve Fleet? LOL
There are probably ship junk yards all over the place. We saw one in the Unification story arc in TNG; but they're not important enough for us to hunt down. And while it might be cool to see one with all the things STO needs I'd rather the Devs not waste time on that.
Lt. Commander
# 60
01-05-2012, 08:00 AM
they can't just kill the 1701-E off

as long as the Actors are alive there is always a chance for a reunion Movie in 10 or 20 years ! (maybe after people got fed up with JJ Abrams shaky cam movies...)

If they can do it for Rocky, Rambo and Terminator, ...why not for the old Trek stuff?
You never know what the next trend in Hollywood is.

As long as there is the smallest chance of a snowflake in Hell, they will not sign off on a SOFT-CANON GAME, with limited reach, to end the main Story Characters or Ships.

Missing in Action means it can pop up again later in any form or Shape (think 1701-C !)