Lt. Commander
# 11
12-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Thanks all:

To say I was very nervous is putting it mildly!

I do understand the concern with my stating the DOff system is like a trading card game - tbh, that's how I perceived it when I first toyed with it. It IS of course, much more rich and complex than an ordinary TC game. TBH it's my favorite part of the game lately (besides some amazing Foundry missions I've had a chance to play.)

Once again - thanks to everyone for your support.
Lt. Commander
# 12
12-27-2011, 09:07 PM
I am quoting what I posted on the massively article comment site:

Quote:
A very well wrtiten article. I don't think it was too biased for or against STO devs.

As for the last piece about star wars, my feeling is this:
We ask for them to give us more Star Trek stuff and instead we get Star Wars stuff.
The only true Star Trek stuff I feel we have gotten is the DOFF system.
I love star wars and play many of the games (not SWTOR because i'm poor) but I also know what Star Trek feels and looks like. Its not Star Wars. The fact that I feel they have given us very little in the way of true Star Trek should tell you why I do not care for thei rhomage to Star Wars. I wouldn't mind it as much if I felt this game was more Star Trek.
Lt. Commander
# 13
12-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebobkill View Post
I am quoting what I posted on the massively article comment site:
Thanks! I am still learning the "ways of massively" and as soon as I figure out how to leave replies to comments on the column I will!

( Yeah - I'm the n00b all over again!)
Lt. Commander
# 14
12-27-2011, 09:59 PM
To elaborate on my previous comment I enjoyed the fact that your article was informational rather than an op-ed. Everyone has their own personal opinions and if someone wants to read opinions about the game they can already do so on the forums. But its nice to have a regular article that summarizes the updates and goings on of the game for those who do not religiously follow the Dev tracker. Then with that summarized information people can make up their own opinions without the bias of the writer pushing them either way. So please keep up the good work and informational format
Lt. Commander
# 15
12-27-2011, 10:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
To elaborate on my previous comment I enjoyed the fact that your article was informational rather than an op-ed. Everyone has their own personal opinions and if someone wants to reads opinions about the game they can already do so on the forums. But its nice to have a regular article that summarizes the updates and goings on of the game for those who do not follow every post on the Dev tracker. Then with that summarized information people can make up their own opinions without the bias of the writer pushing them either way. So please keep up the good work and informational format
Now THAT is a high compliment Grand Nagus! Thank you!

I really will strive to keep the column informative. I have a personal blog where I rant like Tasmanian Devil with Stainless Steel High Heeled Boots - but that's not what the Massively column is supposed to be about.

So I will keep my ranty rants on my personal blog - where they belong.
Lt. Commander
# 16
12-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnlang
Agreed, I found it to be quite good for those reasons.

My only concern, and I am leaving them here rather than Massively due to registration, is referring to the DOff system as a Card Game. I think that the DOff system mechanically shares very little with any card game (and I play/test many games). In spirit, the DOffs themselves can be viewed as "cards". Unfortunately calling them a Card Game really distracts from the style of game play and can be a turn off to people, like me, who do not care for card games.

It was a great article and I appreciated the balance. I will be looking forward to the next one.
If you like the DOFF system, and they refer to it as a card game, that makes you like the DOFF system less? If you like it or don't, it shouldn't matter what one calls it.

Truth is, it's absolutely correct. It's what instantly popped into my head when I started playing with the system, and it features most of the elements. Random packs of "cards" that you open, containing "cards" with various abilities and rarities. You use these cards to play a "round" (mission) in which their stats are used to make calculations against a system created "deck", there are some random rolls, you win or lose.

Sounds pretty much like a card game, to me. It's just not as deep - yet. It's missing the layer of active strategy. You set up the game, you make your "deck" (whatever officers you are sending off) and then...wait. No chance to think quickly or assist/diminish your chances of winning until they report back.

I very much enjoy the DOFF system, but I hope eventually that is expanded upon - perhaps while playing, a pop-up alerts you that the team needs help, or you to make a decision, etc. that can affect final outcome. They also need to look at the rewards; the only incentive I see (besides the fact I like playing the game) is more duty officers, which you use to do more missions, which get you the same minor rewards. Right now I'm playing to level up, the trinkets you get are kind of beside the point, as is the tiny amounts of dilithium you earn. If this system is going to keep me playing long term, there needs to be more to it than earning titles and getting more duty and bridge officers (and enough with the Bridge Officer missions - way too many, and too few ways to get good duty officers, aside from completing a tier).