Lt. Commander
# 1 Problems
12-27-2011, 04:11 PM
Hi,

I'll start off saying I'm new to STO. I bought the game because I like Star Trek and figured it'd be a good waste of my time when I had some free time to spare. Going on missions and selecting your bridge crew seemed like good times.

I started playing and was having a blast with the game. It is very well put together and for my limited computer capabilities, it seems to run just fine (I need a new computer...)

That was, I was having a good time until I ran into some issues. I finally made Commander and started working my way up the ranks. By about rank 6 I was noticing I'd get some missions that were harder than others, which was no problem as I had it set to Advanced and was expecting this. I was working the "Episode" missions along just fine until I hit a bug in one of them and the trigger to release the mission to the next step didn't occur. It is stuck. I tried everything including dropping and starting the mission again. It would just take me back to the same spot without resetting. I submitted a ticket.

I then went on to do some exploration missions in a few different systems (the ones that "Explore Strange New Worlds" link to). This time though, I ran into three missions that, no matter how hard I tried, I'd get FACE SMASHED. Almost all my Bcrew have green or better equipment at rank V, my character has a couple "Very Rares" and yet, I still get slaughtered. I even dropped it all back to "Normal" difficulty and nothing seemed to change at all. One space and two ground missions later, I'm ready to give up and go play Star Wars...

It's very frustrating. I tried going back to old zones but apparently the missions scale to your player and not the area. I can barely advance so I decided I'd go back to the Episodes. Well, unfortunately my ticket is still in the queue as "New" and hasn't been looked at in 24 hours...

This is lame. It is frustrating. I want to quit. I'm not one of those guys that just *****es about the game mechanics. I want a resolution. So, if anyone out there could possibly offer some suggestions to help me out or share wisdom from experience, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'd ask my fleet, but they seem like they don't really want to help.

Thanks!

p.s. Does anyone know what the difference between Normal and Advanced is supposed to be?! Because it doesn't seem to change a thing...
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-27-2011, 04:16 PM
The exploration maps were procedurally generated back before launch. There are thousands of them in the database. Some have bugged enemies in them. Cryptic has tried to remove the bugged missions but because there are thousands of them, they keep missing some.

An exploration revamp is eventually planned that will likely involve all existing exploration missions getting pulled but we have no word on specifics and I don't think Cryptic has set a date for that yet.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-27-2011, 04:17 PM
As for your bugged mission, which mission is it?

Coliseum, maybe?
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-27-2011, 04:26 PM
If I recall correctly, bumping the difficulty to advanced doesn't have any effect until sometime after Lt Cmdr, so the earlier missions *at Lt* wouldn't reflect the advanced difficulty. I'm assuming the face smashing is happening on ground missions? Can't help you there. I enjoy advanced for space but have the flat face myself when it comes to ground missions and those commanders virtually one shot me.

@Leviathan - I don't think the romulan FE is available at Cmdr, but it would be nice to know which mission is bugged for you wolf.

Advanced vs Elite: more hit points and damage dealing for the enemies.
Lt. Commander
# 5
Specifically which mission, and at what point are you stuck?

Also, simply changing the difficulty will not change the difficulty of the current mission. Once you start a mission on advanced, it will stay at advanced until the instance resets.

Also, make sure you were not teamed with anyone. Sometimes, the mission will scale up depending on your team size, and will also sometimes scale up to the highest level player on the team.
Lt. Commander
# 6
Actually, it is Night of the Comet - Reliving the Past
I'm supposed to end the bar fight and no one is left standing right now. I've explored everywhere I can imagine and have stood is the entire map circle indicating where I'm supposed to stop this bar fight at.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-27-2011, 04:27 PM
Sorry to hear you are having so this problem. Even more sorry to hear that your fleet has been more helpful/ supportive. I can say there are some excellent fleets and friends that I have met in game.

I take it the 'skip' button is not working correctly for you? This wouldn't have been a problem under the old mission system as you could do any mission you wanted as long as you were at the appropriate level. When the change first came out we pointed out the problem and the devs added the 'skip' button which was a decent sort of 'compromise' or 'work around' but it still seems like while the new UI is nice for seeing the 'recomended' storyline order, it is still an unfortunate shame that we can not have more episodes 'available' at once like we used to (the FE used to be totally seperate from the 'main' story line.

Sadly I don't have any other advise for you at this time except to keep trying other aspects of play (daily events like accadamy, miror Universe, borg invasion, etc, DOFF system) and keep checking on your tickets.

I had some tickets that for a long time I thought were not recieved cause they didn't show up in game, when I went to my account on the (at that time Atari) site they were there on the website with some dev responses but not 'in game'.

Best of luck,

Search
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-27-2011, 04:29 PM
Hmm... there was talk about the bar fight being bugged a while back. I don't know it's current status, but there was some threads about it I believe.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Heh, I refuse to hit "Skip" out of sheer stubborness. I shouldn't HAVE to skip anything...

Thanks for the advice though. I will continue to wait and see if anyone responds with an answer.

I guess I should have figured that the Forums would have been a better place to receive a response but I think my biggest frustration is that the help staff should be able to answer a ticket, even if it is totally a stupid error on my part, in less than 24 hours...
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Yep. When they first changed to this 'forced progression' 'you must play each mission in the right story order' model the community pointed out that this could happen if there was any one little mission stopping bug in any one mission it 'shuts down' the whole storyline.

The 'skip' button was added in large part due to exactly this issue being pointed out by the community. In other words, your problem is the whole reason the skip button exists.

It sounds like you are having the same bug that is a 'known issue' but I can't say for sure because I have not been following the threads on this particular bug.

-ciao