Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
As I continue to play and find myself in & around Earth Space Dock, I fear the continued lag and Server Disconnect warnings will only increase when joining these instanced servers after Free to PLay starts. So once Free to Play starts, I see the Captain's Table space as a place many players could use that could relieve the stress on ESD.

Yes, the Captain's Table is that area that I am sure Lifetime and Veteran players stopped using after the novelty wore off. So how do you get folks to use it again, why go back there, and how will it help the game right now & into the future?

Simple.

When you claim the Special Access item from the C-Store, it not only gives you access to the portal that exists outside the anomoly that serves as the entrance to the Captain's Table space that's just outside the entrancies of Earth and Qo'Nos, but it also gives you an ESD/Qo'Nos-like Transwarp power icon that you add to your space hotbar. It gives this retroactively to the Powers menu for anyone whom has already claimed this item from the C-Store.

Now, I do understand that the Captain Table's does not have all the things people want such as a shipyard or Q himself when an event is happening, but it should not. It should have the things players need most and call upon the Azura II for, which is mail, banking and the exchange, and a social area when needed. That's it.

Everything else should stay at places like ESD and DS9 to force veteran players to those areas to there is continued interaction with the new player bases.

Now there is likely to also be concerns about many Vet players going there and leaving ESD mostly vacant during different times of the day. Well then good! ESD will need that vacancy as month after month(we hope!) there will be a steady stream of new players needing to use ESD and not LAG OUT. Bad lag experiences = bad gameplay experiences = no money or time spent on STO = we are back right where we started before the F2P announcement.

So hopefully this idea won't fall on deaf ears, most especially thoe of the devs, as we only have so long before the game lets in a whole crop of new players who will be choosing whether to add this title to their daily/weekly gaming lineup based on those critical first impressions.

- If this idea has been proposed before, please add my voice to theirs.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Make it so, Cryptic...

I just wish the cacophony of voices that have preceded yours on this subject, had been enough...

Perhaps yours will finally be the one to "Break the Camels Back", so to speak.

One can only hope.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-28-2011, 10:20 PM
They should get rid of the "nebulae" in Earth and Qo'noS orbit and make the transwarp the only way to get there. And they need to put skill trainers in every starbase, including the Captain's Table. If they do that, I'll be satisfied.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-28-2011, 11:26 PM
Lets look at what the Captain's Table has:

Bank
Tailor
Select Your Ship Officer
Mail
Exchange
Wholesaler - Selling MkI Armors and Personal Shield
Foods Vendor - All the Common foods and some of the Uncommons
And is a small Social zone...

ESD and Qo'noS have all those thing and more.
Plus a:
Ships Requsitions
Ships Tailor
Ship Equipment Requisitions
Captain Trainer
Boff Requisitions
Boff Trainer
And is a large social zone...

So already the Captain's Table is useless by comparison to ESD or Qo'noS.
There NEEDS to be something Special to the CT if it's really ever gonna be used.
It's own independant missions, not tied to the base storyline.
It's own Doff assignments.

Something, ANYTHING special please.

A transwarp to the nebula, although useful, isn't as useful as the regular transwarp if it can't get you to the same degree of services as ESD or Qo'noS.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-28-2011, 11:36 PM
I always thought Captain's Table should be a hub between all major social areas. Have access to the Captain's Table from DS9, K-7, Memory Alpha, etc. At ESD and want to get to DS9, then hope that you have the Transwarp power to DS9 or go to Captain's Table, then go through the DS9 access point. Save a Transwarp power and get to where you need to go in about a minute or two.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
I always thought Captain's Table should be a hub between all major social areas. Have access to the Captain's Table from DS9, K-7, Memory Alpha, etc. At ESD and want to get to DS9, then hope that you have the Transwarp power to DS9 or go to Captain's Table, then go through the DS9 access point. Save a Transwarp power and get to where you need to go in about a minute or two.
The entrance to this Mysterious Place in the books (where the idea originated) was always through a "DOORWAY"...

Never through a Pulsating Nebula...

I agree, get rid of the space entrance completely and give us hidden doorways in the various stations and landfalls placed throughout the game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-29-2011, 02:14 AM
oh yeah...

the captains table. I forgot about this.

I FULLY support this idea... Like, this is an EXCELLENT idea. i would be so happy with Cryptic if they made this happen.

So so happy.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-29-2011, 02:37 AM
Transwarp would be good, getting rid of the nebula would be good.

Giving it an actual function would be best. For now, it's the most useless place we can have access to.
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-30-2011, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirian_darkstar View Post
A transwarp to the nebula, although useful, isn't as useful as the regular transwarp if it can't get you to the same degree of services as ESD or Qo'noS.
I understand your concerns, but my goal was not to increase its usefulness as that would take more work and delay a transwarp being added, but to help relieve the upcoming stress on ESD and Qo'Nos by veteran players when those are more needed by the F2P players.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-30-2011, 03:55 AM
Yeah the area is kinda underwhelming.

Access requires you to warp to ESD or QonoS and then why should you enter, the services provided there are insufficient while being right besides ESD/QonoS who have all services in one place.

I also wish they would add some options to starship interior but given how often they break BOffs on bridge, their priorities and general scarcity of new content (even more so quality content... the Defera Invasion isn't interesting at all. Another Ground Combat fail) I don't see this change anytime soon.

I second Lucky's idea of reducing load on DS9 and ESD this way, as I intentionally go to K7 a lot just to avoid the highly populated starbases and their sometimes stupidly long loading times.