Lt. Commander
# 1 Ship Weapon Types
12-29-2011, 01:38 AM
Hi All,

I have a question, I have always assumed that it is best to have all weapons on a Ship being the same type (phasor, disruptor ect) but I was recently thinkning that it might be an idea to mix them up so that if an poopnent is resistant to one type you aren't toast.

My question is, the line on the weapons thats says '-X wespon power when firing other weapons' what exactly does it mean, and how would having 4 different energy weapon types on the ship affect things? (apart form having to use a generic 'boost energy weapon damage' rather than a specifi 'boost phasor damamge' console equipped)

Thanks
K
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-29-2011, 02:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kspn View Post
Hi All,

I have a question, I have always assumed that it is best to have all weapons on a Ship being the same type (phasor, disruptor ect) but I was recently thinkning that it might be an idea to mix them up so that if an poopnent is resistant to one type you aren't toast.

My question is, the line on the weapons thats says '-X wespon power when firing other weapons' what exactly does it mean, and how would having 4 different energy weapon types on the ship affect things? (apart form having to use a generic 'boost energy weapon damage' rather than a specifi 'boost phasor damamge' console equipped)

Thanks
K
Effectively you have the four seperate settings in space.... Weapons, Shields, Engine and Auxilary.
The -X to weapon power is how much that one weapon would draw from the Weapons section over it's one firing cycle. Hope that makes sense...?
IE I think beams are -10 and fire four shots in a cycle.... so if you only had that weapon firing and had your weapon power at 50, it would reduce it to 40 over each shot in the cycle, diminishing the damage per shot.

The only real side effect of having multiple weapon types would be a loss in overall damage. I'm not sure how that would even out if the enemy isn't as resistant to one of your weapon types, but my guess is you'd still lose in overall damage.

I suppose the other thing would be "lowering" your chance of having the proc on each weapon from occuring.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-29-2011, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks
K
Unfortunately it wouldn't do you any good because the devs have nerfed the specific tactical consoles that enhance all energy damages universally (for those that would like to use more than 1 damage type).Im refering to consoles like energy distribution manifolds and prefire chambers , they now give a bonus 0f 18% in contrast to a specific damage type console like phaser relays that give 26%.

So if you use say 3 x 18% tactical consoles with a mix of phaser and tetryon for examble you would be having less dps than if you would use pure phasers with 3 x phaser relays.The same applies to every damage type.Aparrently it was a good idea for the devs to have this freedom before season 5 but not after season 5 , it is one of these decisions they often make that defines common logic.

Now we are forced to use just one specific damage type if we want to be effective.This is a change that would only made sense if the addition of more 1 proc would be at least the same beneficial or even better than the reduced dps ,to compensate for the loss.But only when the procs where something that worked as intended which they don't.What we have is 1 proc working like crazy (phasers) and the other procs working but with a minimal effect with all these bo abilities out there able to compensate making them like look like they don't even occur.

Nothing normal about both cases.That is just a personal opinion.Stick with 1 damage type and focus on it.Ofcourse you can mix damage types if you are willing to tolerate the reduced dps.The -X means that you get 1 weapon for free and the rest count for minus 10 to your weapon drain for each one of them.For examble firing 6 beams on your cruiser broadside at the same time means you have a -50 maximum drain on your weapon setting,in a staggering pattern.

Hope i was of help to you.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-29-2011, 03:29 AM
Awesome, thanks for the replies.

What I get is:

-X means that the weapon drains X amount of power form the weapon setting

You can have as many weapon types as you have slots, but you will lose out in the end because your overall DPS will be lower because the consoles have a lower % boost.

Sounds like I need to pick a weapon and stick to it, pity, it would have been fun.

K
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-29-2011, 09:42 AM
Quote:
Awesome, thanks for the replies.

What I get is:

-X means that the weapon drains X amount of power form the weapon setting

You can have as many weapon types as you have slots, but you will lose out in the end because your overall DPS will be lower because the consoles have a lower % boost.

Sounds like I need to pick a weapon and stick to it, pity, it would have been fun.

K
Energy Weapon power drain is bit more complicated then it appears. You can fire one energy weapon of any type without any penalty. Any additional energy weapon, will drain Weapon Subsystem by the amount indicated by the weapon info. If weapon power is 100, firing 1 beam array will no drain any power. Firing 2 beam arrays will drop Weapon power to 90. Firing 3 beam arrays will drain weapon more to 80, etc. And it's also a bit more complicated as the game slightly staggers the firing of weapons set to auto-fire. And each weapon type has it's own distinct firing cycle. So you general won't the maximum theoretical total power drain.
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-29-2011, 10:06 AM
Quote:
It is worth tossing out that the difference is smaller than it looks. The +X% is on the base damage, which after skills will be around a third of your actual damage depending on how far into weapons training and energy weapons training.

So the difference on the consoles is 8% per console, but the actual difference is around 3% per console.

On the other hand, you get more variety in procs... but half of the procs aren't that good and critically, by having multiple weapon types you're diluting your proc rates for everything down to the point that they just aren't helping (even with 8 beams it can be hard to see some of them helping fight-to-fight).
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-30-2011, 03:05 PM
Quote:

K
If you're not doing PVP, or Elite level STFs, go for it, have your fun. You'll still be more than effective enough to deal with your opponents in regular PVE.
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-02-2012, 03:21 PM
The cool effects with 4 different weapon types make it all worthwhile
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I've never understood the mindset of min-maxing in any of the MMOs I have played. I set myself up in a way that is fun. Fun for me usually means twin cannons of some type, Torps, with a wide area beam weapon hanging off my back end for general coverage. I'm not a fan of the flying in circles aroudn the enemy. I'm more the fly straight at them, suck their facing shield away and leave them with a present of Boarding parties to deal with.

Sadly, this tactic isn't as effective as it was in the old Starfleet Command PC game from about 12 years ago, as boarding parties don't ever actually take control of an enemy ship.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-04-2012, 05:18 PM
To some players mini-max'ing builds is part of the fun. Maximizing perforce of a build is a skilll as much as exceeling in PvP is speed runs in STFs. I love squeeze every erg from my ship's Warp Core that I can.