Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Feature Episodes, Events and PvE Content
Login

Lt. Commander
Solar System refers only to the planets, rocks, and other garbage orbiting Sol. The word you guys are looking for is "Planetary System", not "Solar System". The game is literally littered with the this illiteracy.

Right off hand, I'm re-running an old mission which prompted this post. "Researcher Rescue" is the name of the mission. In the mission, you are told to go to the "Kassae Solar System". The proper terminology is "Kassae System" or "Kassae Planetary System", not "Kasse Solar System".

To an astronomy buff, seeing the improper terminology is extremely grating. About as much as to your programmers who write render code, someone referring to outlines around a 3d model as "cel shading" when cel shading has to do with how the light falls. Or to a German chef when someone makes pork chops with white gravy and calls it "Rahm Schnitzel". It's really grating on the nerves.

How much of an astronomy buff am I? So much that I use a more obscure and lesser known nebula as my forum avatar. The Witchhead Nebula. Of course it doesn't really have a female angler fish visible in it, that was just me being silly.

Here's a small, simple glossary for you.

Sol System: The planets, rocks, and whatnot orbiting the star Sol.

Planetary System: Planets, rocks, and whatnot orbiting a star in general.

Stellar or Star System: Stars in orbit around something, be it eachother, a bunch of them in a cluster orbiting a common barycenter, or even a galaxy.

Please, Cryptic, revisit the text on the missions. It's been almost two years and I grind my teeth every time I see it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
12-30-2011, 06:19 AM
Well, I'm certainly relieved that you didn't notice that the stellar distances are off by a factor of two on average or that the Gamma Orionis sector is clearly on the wrong side of the galaxy. It would be time to get out the pitchforks for sure.

(btw, that was ME being silly. :p And those things do grind my gears. I keep secretly hoping that they will fix it, but between you and I, there might only be three other people here who notice it.)

edit - to their credit, they did get the other sector block names in *mostly* the correct locations and the position of Gamma Orionis is probably due to artistic license over the map scale.
Lt. Commander
# 3
12-30-2011, 06:37 AM
iam not 100% sure, but the mistake was made through out the hole star trek franchise.

Maybe when they decide to rewamp all the sector blocks into one (iam pretty sure it want be like we all expect it to be, i mean they allways srew up when they rewamp stuff) maybe cryptic fixes certain unkogical flaws.

let's just hope they do!

PS: Ever noticed how small ESD is from the inside? i mean outside its like 6 kilometers long or so, and inside u can run a full circle in like 1 minute.
Lt. Commander
# 4
12-30-2011, 07:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudl View Post
iam not 100% sure, but the mistake was made through out the hole star trek franchise.
yes, this is not just a cryptic error.
Lt. Commander
# 5
12-30-2011, 07:44 AM
That's who this game needed at the helm from the get go - astronomy buffs. (really).
Lt. Commander
# 6
12-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudl View Post
PS: Ever noticed how small ESD is from the inside? i mean outside its like 6 kilometers long or so, and inside u can run a full circle in like 1 minute.
ESD is a reverse TARDIS. It's bigger on the outside.
Lt. Commander
# 7
12-30-2011, 02:42 PM
I don't think this is an error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
solar [soh-ler]
adjective
1. of or pertaining to the sun: solar phenomena.
2. determined by the sun: solar hour.
3. proceeding from the sun, as light or heat.
4. utilizing, operated by, or depending on solar energy: a solar building; a solar stove.
5. indicating time by means of or with reference to the sun: a solar chronometer.

sun [suhn]
noun
1. ( often initial capital letter ) the star that is the central body of the solar system, around which the planets revolve and from which they receive light and heat: its mean distance from the earth is about 93 million miles (150 million km), its diameter about 864,000 miles (1.4 million km), and its mass about 330,000 times that of the earth; its period of surface rotation is about 26 days at its equator but longer at higher latitudes.
2. the sun considered with reference to its position in the sky, its visibility, the season of the year, the time at which or the place where it is seen, etc.
3. a self-luminous heavenly body; star.
4. sunshine; the heat and light from the sun: to be exposed to the sun.
5. a figure or representation of the sun, as a heraldic bearing usually surrounded with rays and marked with the features of a human face.
While solar system can refer to our own, ours is only one such system. While 'Sun' usually refers to our sun, Sol, it can refer to other stars as well.

Additionally:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
solar system
noun
the sun together with all the planets and other bodies that revolve around it.
While natural English dictionaries may say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition
solar system
— n
the system containing the sun and the bodies held in its gravitational field, including the planets (Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune), the dwarf planets (Eris, Pluto, and Ceres), the asteroids, and comets
A science one differs,

Quote:
Originally Posted by The American Heritage® Science Dictionary
solar system
Often Solar System. The Sun together with the nine planets, their moons, and all other bodies that orbit it, including asteroids, comets, meteoroids, and Kuiper belt objects. The outer limit of the solar system is formed by the heliopause . See more at nebular hypothesis.

A similar system surround another star. The Milky Way contains 12 stars known to have planets in orbit around them, though none is known to have as extensive or diverse a group of orbiting bodies as the Sun's system.
So scientifically speaking, there is no error. A solar system is any star with planets orbiting it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
That's who this game needed at the helm from the get go - astronomy buffs. (really).
Astronomy buffs would realize Cryptic is right.
Lt. Commander
# 8
12-31-2011, 12:16 PM
Also, "geosynchronous orbit" could be considered inaccurate above any planet besides Earth - it's Latin, you know.

I figured it was just a term that became broader as humans went out to the stars - like how Kleenex are any kind of facial tissue these days. Same deal with "solar system".
Lt. Commander
# 9
12-31-2011, 03:13 PM
it was my impression from Astronomy class that "Planetary system" refered not to the system as a whole, but the planets in it, likewise, Star system and Solar system can both be used synonymously to refer to any other Solar system. Although, star system is generally used to refer to ones other than our own.
Lt. Commander
# 10
12-31-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah I suppose it would be very fun running a full circle around esd in maybe an hour just to fit the proportions. My rp immersion would be intact though. NOTE: Major sarcasm.